PDA

View Full Version : Thermal right heatsinks.

Pages : [1] 2

Niot
12-15-07, 06:33 PM
I got the HR-11 and Ultra 120 E today.

Several questions about installation:

1. Should I use the thermal paste that came with the Ultra 120 E or the Arctic silver?

2. Is there a "correct" orientation for the Ultra 120? Is it symmetrical?

3. Is strapping on two fans really useless? I have two, the Noctua S12 and Silverstone F122.

4. Should the fans pull air from the heatsink or blow onto the HS?

5. Is 2 80mm case fans enough for exhausting air from the case?

Thanks.

crainger
12-15-07, 08:52 PM
:rofl

I'm not even gonna start.

1. User the Silver. Works best, only Zalman is better than Arctic Silver

2. Best way is so the fan draws in air and spits it out back for a rear fan. Either way should do as long as it is vertical.

3. Two fans would be bad. Unless they are excatly the same you would create too much turbulence.

4. Blow into the Heat sink.

5. Yeah 2 80mm should be fine.

Post pics when you are done and we will give a yay or nay.

Niot
12-15-07, 08:59 PM
:rofl

I'm not even gonna start.

1. User the Silver. Works best, only Zalman is better than Arctic Silver

2. Best way is so the fan draws in air and spits it out back for a rear fan. Either way should do as long as it is vertical.

3. Two fans would be bad. Unless they are excatly the same you would create too much turbulence.

4. Blow into the Heat sink.

5. Yeah 2 80mm should be fine.

Post pics when you are done and we will give a yay or nay.
How do you know which thermal paste is the best? Should I go out and get a tube of Zalman?

Should the thermal paste be 'remixed' so that the contents are all spread out in equilibrium?

crainger
12-15-07, 09:01 PM
Just use the Arctic Silver.

What CPU is it? For best instructions see the Arctic Silver site. It's on the side of the tube.

Bman212121
12-15-07, 09:02 PM
The zalman STG-1 he is referring to is actually a brush on type of paste. IMO the overall difference is so slim that the artic silver you have should be great. The paste has a good shelf life and shouldn't need to be mixed at all. It will be almost runny when it's brand new and with a small line across the center of the cpu it will spread right out.

Niot
12-15-07, 09:02 PM
Just use the Arctic Silver.

What CPU is it? For best instructions see the Arctic Silver site. It's on the side of the tube.
It's the E6600.

Niot
12-15-07, 09:03 PM
Guys on Newegg seem to boast that the zalman has a 5 to 10 degrees C difference over the AS?

Bman212121
12-15-07, 09:06 PM
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

There is the directions for the article on a dual core. I found them here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

crainger
12-15-07, 09:06 PM
They are exaggerating (on newegg). The main difference is it doesn't need time to 'set' like AS5. After a week or so results will e the same.

Also try not to get it all over yourself, if you do make a mess, don't be tempted to lick it! Use a gentle soap like Dawn, or Palmolive.

Bman212121
12-15-07, 09:11 PM
They are exaggerating (on newegg). The main difference is it doesn't need time to 'set' like AS5. After a week or so results will e the same.

Also try not to get it all over yourself, if you do make a mess, don't be tempted to lick it! Use a gentle soap like Dawn, or Palmolive.

Yea it might be 1 or 2 C better, but I highly doubt when it's properly applied it will be that much of a difference. Here is a link for AS5 verus STG-1 with set in time. http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=67101&page=1

Niot
12-15-07, 09:16 PM

Why do you stress not to lick it? Is it poisonous?

Also, according to the article, the thermal paste doesn't need to cover the heatspreader from corner to corner? Is that true?

Also, I don't have all of those fancy chemicals for cleaning, can't I just wipe the old paste off with some paper towel?

Thanks.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-15-07, 09:26 PM

no, it is too delicious, you will become addicted and blow all your money on it. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Niot
12-15-07, 09:30 PM
no, it is too delicious, you will become addicted and blow all your money on it. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Is that a serious remark?

I just want to know if it's poisonous.

nV`andrew
12-15-07, 09:32 PM
just dont. lol.
the zalman stuff is great but AS5 should be pretty close

mythy
12-15-07, 09:37 PM

Also, according to the article, the thermal paste doesn't need to cover the heatspreader from corner to corner? Is that true?

Also, I don't have all of those fancy chemicals for cleaning, can't I just wipe the old paste off with some paper towel?

Thanks.

you need to clean it with alcohol and you want to use enough to cover from corner to corner for maximum heat dissipation

Niot
12-15-07, 09:38 PM
you need to clean it with alcohol and you want to use enough to cover from corner to corner for maximum heat dissipation
Is rubbing alcohol good enough? (stuff from the pharmacy)

Also, what is needed to be used for rubbing? Is paper towel ok?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-15-07, 09:38 PM
no you don't want to cover corner to corner, using a thin line going across the middle of the cpu is the best way to go.

any isopropyl alcohol above 70% should be fine.

mythy
12-15-07, 09:41 PM
Oh and thermal paste is like this in order from best to great

Tuniq TX-2
Arctic cooling MX-2
Arctic Silver AS5
Thermalright Chill factor

LORD-eX-Bu
12-15-07, 09:41 PM
it should look like this when you apply it, maybe even a little less...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/10937/1182913919.jpg

with the pressure from securing the hsf evenly across the cpu heatspreader the thermal compound will spread itself out evenly over the area covering the die and give you the best contact patch possible.

mythy
12-15-07, 09:43 PM
or a bit more ;) It all depends on your base and if its decked.

mythy
12-15-07, 09:44 PM
no you don't want to cover corner to corner, using a thin line going across the middle of the cpu is the best way to go.

I thought he meant that you didn't need to use enough to cover corner to corner :o

Niot
12-15-07, 10:08 PM
Oh and thermal paste is like this in order from best to great

Tuniq TX-2
Arctic cooling MX-2
Arctic Silver AS5
Thermalright Chill factor
So the Zalman isn't as good?

Maybe I need to go get some Tuniq.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-15-07, 10:11 PM
AS5 is fine if you already have it, you won't notice a difference, especially if you use your paper towel :rofl

Niot
12-15-07, 10:11 PM
AS5 is fine if you already have it, you won't notice a difference, especially if you use your paper towel :rofl
Exactly what should be used to wipe the thermal paste off?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-15-07, 10:13 PM
to clean your heatspreader and hsf you should use a lint free cloth and alcohol :)