PDA

View Full Version : How to dampen vibration of HDDs inside a case

zerobeta
12-16-07, 03:21 AM
Hello

The HDDs in my case create a loud, constant hum noise and I figured its vibration, as when they are not in the HDD cage/case, I do not hear the noise.

Besides that, the computer is quiet, and the noise is very annoying. How can I dampen the vibration as much as possible? Some product you had good experience with?

The HDDs are mounted in a cage with thumb screws, so I need a product that will be able to fit with this kind of HDD mounting.

See attached images.

Thanks

crainger
12-16-07, 07:13 AM
Maybe just try some little rubber washers that can squeeze between the cage and drive.

breathemetal
12-16-07, 11:34 AM
Buy a Cosmos! haha :)

mythy
12-16-07, 11:41 AM
OMG they make software anti vibration enclosures?!??!

jeffmd
12-16-07, 11:42 AM
my last 2 antec cases, the 150 and 180, both used solutions (rubber bands and rubber gromits) that separated the HD from the metal cage. Maybe its time for an updated case? ^^

CaptNKILL
12-16-07, 12:46 PM
my last 2 antec cases, the 150 and 180, both used solutions (rubber bands and rubber gromits) that separated the HD from the metal cage. Maybe its time for an updated case? ^^
Yep, I love the grommet setup on the P180. It works really well.

zerobeta
12-16-07, 06:19 PM
Didn't see where I posted lol, can a mod please move this thread?

This case has no anti vibration rubber for the hdds, was wondering if theres some product I could buy that would fit my case.

Any idea if something like this will fit and do the job?
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/012/scyhds2.html

It seems it includes mounting for a 5.25" drive bay, and I am not sure if I can just use the plates without the stabilizers (that are used to mount the hdd in a 5.25" drive bay) and it will be effective

LycosV
12-16-07, 07:30 PM
OMG they make software anti vibration enclosures?!??!

Start->run then type:
shutdown /s

Makes the drives perfectly silent! :D

ViN86
12-16-07, 07:53 PM
Maybe just try some little rubber washers that can squeeze between the cage and drive.
exactly what i was going to recommend :D

LORD-eX-Bu
12-16-07, 08:49 PM
switch to SSD :p

Yaboze
12-16-07, 10:24 PM
The P180 uses silicon grommets that go on enlongated screws with a fixed washer type end, to keep it on. So the drives kinda float on these rubbery things, either on their sides or from the bottom sitting horizontally. You have 4 going in from the bottom if horizontal and 2 if it's on the sides. It's a cool design and they are very quiet.

XDanger
12-17-07, 02:57 PM
Dangle your drives on big rubber bands in your optical drive bays.

crainger
12-17-07, 03:40 PM
Dangle your drives on big rubber bands in your optical drive bays.

That's a good trick, problem is if you move your PC and forget to secure the drives. :(