PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Vista will end up like windows ME?

Pages : [1] 2

ryan29121
12-17-07, 02:22 PM
I heard somewhere that Microsoft is making a new operating system which leads me to believe that they are going to pull another windows ME trick. Does anyone else think this or has heard this also?

RAY16
12-17-07, 03:07 PM
The next version of Windows (currently named "Windows 7") isn't due out until 2010 at the earliest.

|MaguS|
12-17-07, 03:13 PM
I heard MS was going to base their next OS off Unix since PC Gaming is dead.

Tr1cK
12-17-07, 03:20 PM
I heard MS was going to base their next OS off Unix since PC Gaming is dead.
Only if you have been consolized. :p

To the OP:
I believe that it is the next ME unless we start to find the need for 64bit computing and/or higher RAM capacities than XP32 will allow.

six_storm
12-17-07, 04:34 PM
Ryan, don't make fun of Vista around here. Fanbois only get mad and that's not fun for anyone. Anywho, Vista has acted better than ME from the get go but it's still not perfect.

zoomy942
12-17-07, 04:53 PM
Vista will be fine. every major OS release has been buggy. i still remember hating XP and swearing i was going to use 98SE forever.

nekrosoft13
12-17-07, 07:51 PM
I heard somewhere that Microsoft is making a new operating system

wow a company is making a new product, thats suprising

breaking news

ford, gm, toyota, bmw etc.. are planing 2009 model of their cars.

nvidia, ati are working on new cards.

apple is working on new ipod

ms is working on new xbox

sony is working on ps4

LORD-eX-Bu
12-17-07, 07:58 PM
sony is working on ps4

oh god no :eek:

ViN86
12-17-07, 08:00 PM
sony is working on ps4
actually, due to the technology in t3h C3LL, upgrading to a PS4 is only a BIOS update away.

Bearclaw
12-17-07, 08:07 PM
actually, due to the technology in t3h C3LL, upgrading to a PS4 is only a BIOS update away.
:lol2:

Zapablast05
12-17-07, 08:49 PM
I heard somewhere that Microsoft is making a new operating system

I heard of this before. I think they decided on calling it Windows 7. I think it was in the October edition of that Windows Gaming magazine, or whatever it's called. Supposedly, MS started working on it near the ending of Vista's final revision, which is why Vista seems incomplete...Afterall, I can't prove it, it's just what I read. It's supposed to come out in 2010, so they said.

six_storm
12-17-07, 09:44 PM

That just means we need to go buy a PS3 right now and we will be ready when the upgrade comes along. ;)

ViN86
12-17-07, 10:55 PM
That just means we need to go buy a PS3 right now and we will be ready when the upgrade comes along. ;)
you dont buy T3h C3LL....

T3h C3LL buys you

zoomy942
12-18-07, 08:50 AM
you dont buy T3h C3LL....

T3h C3LL owns you

fixed

ryan29121
12-18-07, 09:00 AM
Ryan, don't make fun of Vista around here. Fanbois only get mad and that's not fun for anyone. Anywho, Vista has acted better than ME from the get go but it's still not perfect.

To all those who think I'm "making fun" of Vista, I am not. I currently own both vista and XP and I enjoy both of them. The reason I asked this question is because I heard rumors that Microsoft is working on a new version which led me to believe this will end up like ME. I did not say anything bad about it.

conroejoe
12-18-07, 09:30 AM
To all those who think I'm "making fun" of Vista, I am not. I currently own both vista and XP and I enjoy both of them. The reason I asked this question is because I heard rumors that Microsoft is working on a new version which led me to believe this will end up like ME. I did not say anything bad about it.

Burn him at the stake.

Starscream
12-18-07, 09:35 AM
Only if you have been consolized. :p

To the OP:
I believe that it is the next ME unless we start to find the need for 64bit computing and/or higher RAM capacities than XP32 will allow.

That's what XP 64 is for.

My feeling is that in the end Vista will be remembered as ME is now. I've only experienced this level of customer HATE with ME.

nekrosoft13
12-18-07, 09:37 AM

yes its is suprising that a company is working on a new product. its very suprising.

Tr1cK
12-18-07, 09:41 AM
That's what XP 64 is for.

My feeling is that in the end Vista will be remembered as ME is now. I've only experienced this level of customer HATE with ME.
MS has pretty much blown off XP64 and expect 64 bit to be centered around Vista 64.

Dragunov
12-18-07, 10:27 AM
I heard of this before. I think they decided on calling it Windows 7. I think it was in the October edition of that Windows Gaming magazine, or whatever it's called. Supposedly, MS started working on it near the ending of Vista's final revision, which is why Vista seems incomplete...Afterall, I can't prove it, it's just what I read. It's supposed to come out in 2010, so they said.

The codename is Windows 7, like the codename for Vista is Longhorn, so it's gonna get another name, but Windows 7 sounds nice aswell :D

Well, even if Windows 7 (gonna call this for now) is released, we still gonna see support for Vista, like they do with Windows XP, SP3, even when Vista is released ...

About 2010, well maybe they gonna release Windows 7 in 2010, but it's also possible it's 2011, so ....

LycosV
12-18-07, 11:37 AM
If they release another version of Windows before they kill off XP Vista will be in trouble. If they finish off XP next year as planned, Vista will do fine.

Zapablast05
12-18-07, 02:11 PM
The codename is Windows 7, like the codename for Vista is Longhorn, so it's gonna get another name, but Windows 7 sounds nice aswell :D

Well, even if Windows 7 (gonna call this for now) is released, we still gonna see support for Vista, like they do with Windows XP, SP3, even when Vista is released ...

About 2010, well maybe they gonna release Windows 7 in 2010, but it's also possible it's 2011, so ....

I just found a page on wikipedia about it. It says that it's code names were Blackcomb and Vienna.

"Windows 7 (formerly codenamed Blackcomb, then Vienna) is a future version of Microsoft Windows. It is expected to be the successor to Windows Vista. Microsoft has confirmed that the planned development time frame is at least three years, putting the release date around 2010. On July 20, 2007, Microsoft confirmed that Windows 7 is "the internal name for the next version of the Windows Client OS"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Gregor976
12-19-07, 12:04 AM
To compare Vista to ME is... well... I don't have a proper analogy. LOL

I used 98SE until XP and for a while dual booting because pc gaming -was- so much slower in XP. I was -forced- to install and work with ME on many occasions. ME was like trying to completely remove to access to the first 10 stories of a 50 story building and only allowing access through the 11th story. Oh yeah, that building was prone to fires and didn't even have a sprinkler system.

In other words no one with any sense would want to spend any time at all in it.

ME was just a stupid, unsound idea that I truly -do- think was to just get people to spend money on an upgrade that cost MS very little in real man hours to develop.

XP was and still does have it's flaws, but it is so much better than the dos based OS's that it doesn't even need saying. It was a good idea that took a while to implement.

I think Vista is the same as XP in this regard. The changes in driver model, GDI and kernel are sound. They are clearly superior to XP. However, I don't believe that a 32bit version should even exist, XP -is- still fine for 32bit processors and without the division of effort put into each, we would already be seeing a more polished Vista 64, drivers would be much more mature and there would be considerably less bitching about the OS.

Tr1cK
12-19-07, 08:14 AM
What I think is the most absurd argument is comparing XP to 98SE.

We needed to leave 98SE because it was a pile of junk. I left it as soon as Win2k came out and never looked back. I bit the performance bullet before most people did.

You can't forget 98s idiosyncrasies. It had to be rebooted often. One program crashing could bring the whole system down. It had to be tweaked thoroughly from the registry to the INIs and back. I can't even remember them all because it's been so long since I used it, but I'm sure if I loaded it back up then it would all come back to me.

The move from 9X to the NT/2k/XP kernel was a great improvement. The only major improvements you get from moving to Vista from XP is DX10, decent 64bit support, new GUI, and slightly improved security.

So far we haven't been able to reap benefits of DX10. 64 bit is not being pushed and won't be pushed until applications demand more RAM than 32bit OSes can run. The GUI is all a matter of personal preference. I know more enthusiasts that run stuff like WindowBlinds and would rather have that than the Vista UI. The security is almost a non-issue because no system is going to be 100% locked down, but if you have your firewalls up, run a browser such as Firefox, and just use common sense, then you have nothing much to worry about.

I'm not saying Vista is worthless, but with current hardware and applications, we don't need it. MS screwed up by not making it 64bit only, therefore forcing more innovation and technological progress. It would have been a huge reason to abandon XP as more applications could and would have been coded 64 bit only. By releasing 32 bit Vista, they made the ME version of XP. It has a little prettier UI and a few more features, but nothing to really set it apart.

Q
12-19-07, 08:18 AM
What I think is the most absurd argument is comparing XP to 98SE.

We needed to leave 98SE because it was a pile of junk. I left it as soon as Win2k came out and never looked back. I bit the performance bullet before most people did.

You can't forget 98s idiosyncrasies. It had to be rebooted often. One program crashing could bring the whole system down. It had to be tweaked thoroughly from the registry to the INIs and back. I can't even remember them all because it's been so long since I used it, but I'm sure if I loaded it back up then it would all come back to me.

The move from 9X to the NT/2k/XP kernel was a great improvement. The only major improvements you get from moving to Vista from XP is DX10, decent 64bit support, new GUI, and slightly improved security.

So far we haven't been able to reap benefits of DX10. 64 bit is not being pushed and won't be pushed until applications demand more RAM than 32bit OSes can run. The GUI is all a matter of personal preference. I know more enthusiasts that run stuff like WindowBlinds and would rather have that than the Vista UI. The security is almost a non-issue because no system is going to be 100% locked down, but if you have your firewalls up, run a browser such as Firefox, and just use common sense, then you have nothing much to worry about.

:clap:

EDIT:

YO YO YO

Mr. Trick is a lil beyotch, yo no whut im sayn.