PDA

View Full Version : Mac versus Windows vulnerability stats for 2007

nekrosoft13
12-18-07, 11:51 PM
The year 2007 has been an interesting year that brought us improved security with Windows Vista and Mac OS X Leopard (10.5). But to get some perspective of how many publicly known holes found in these two operating systems, Iíve compiled all the security flaws in Mac OS X and Windows XP and Vista and placed them side by side. This is significant because it shows a trend that can give us a good estimate for how many flaws we can expect to find in the coming months. The more monthly flaws there are in the historical trend, the more likely it is that someone will find a hole to exploit in the future. For example back in April of this year, hackers took over a fully patched Macbook and won $10,000 plus the Macbook they hacked.

I used vulnerability statistics from an impartial third party vendor Secunia and I broke them down by Windows XP flaws, Vista flaws, and Mac OS X flaws. Since Secunia doesnít offer individual numbers for Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.4, I merged the XP and Vista vulnerabilities so that we can compare Vista + XP flaws to Mac OS X. In case youíre wondering how 19 plus 12 could equal 23, this is because there are many overlapping flaws that is shared between XP and Vista so those donít get counted twice just as I donít count something that affects Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 twice.

Windows XP, Vista, and Mac OS X vulnerability stats for 2007
XP Vista XP + Vista Mac OS X
Total extremely critical 3 1 4 0
Total highly critical 19 12 23 234
Total moderately critical 2 1 3 2
Total less critical 3 1 4 7
Total flaws 34 20 44 243
Average flaws per month 2.83 1.67 3.67 20.25

X Extremely critical
H Highly critical
M Moderately critical
L Less critical

So this shows that Apple had more than 5 times the number of flaws per month than Windows XP and Vista in 2007, and most of these flaws are serious. Clearly this goes against conventional wisdom because the numbers show just the opposite and it isnít even close.

Also noteworthy is that while Windows Vista shows fewer flaws than Windows XP and has more mitigating factors against exploitation, the addition of Windows Defender and Sidebar added 4 highly critical flaws to Vista that werenít present in Windows XP. Sidebar accounted for three of those additional vulnerabilities and itís something I am glad I donít use. The lone Defender critical vulnerability that was supposed to defend Windows Vista was ironically the first critical vulnerability for Windows Vista.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=758

six_storm
12-19-07, 12:02 AM
Leopard really sucks IMO. This is what pissed me off about them this year. Apple was so obsessed with their iPhone and other iGadgets that they have completely disregarded the OS on which they swear by. Their OS is what made me switch in the first place! Oh well, nobody is perfect.

conroejoe
12-19-07, 11:14 AM
The only reason the Macintosh OSes are getting more secure - is that there are less and less people using them. Less users = less security risk. What would scare me like hell is that when a virus does hit and 100% of the 230 people using a MAC all get infected, now thats hitting a target audience.

A bunch of snooty snobs with their one button mice (cause one button is all most of them can handle, they have their drool cup in the other hand) and no bios Intel machines thinking they are better than everyone else cause they paid 4x as much for the same hardware we all overclock the **** out of and have 14 games and photoshop. Wake up Mac users - you're clueless and Steve Jobs, the XENU of MACINTOSH, has you brainwashed!

(I worked in prepress for 7 years and had to use 3 macs all day long. Plus I still have friends that work there that swear by them. Funny thing is that my PC runs circles around theirs in Photoshop I don't wanna break their hearts so I keep asking when Adobe is going to put photoshop out for the PC rotflmao!)

six_storm
12-19-07, 12:20 PM
Macs are great for the basics like music, movies, office stuff, and even web page design. I loved to create music, editing movie clips and edit my web page with my Macs. Too bad the business world is kicking and I gotta use Windows again. Oh well, I might own another one, one day.

nekrosoft13
12-19-07, 12:31 PM
Macs are great for the basics like music, movies, office stuff, and even web page design. I loved to create music, editing movie clips and edit my web page with my Macs. Too bad the business world is kicking and I gotta use Windows again. Oh well, I might own another one, one day.

this is on thing i hate about apple, and how they are treated.

its ok for them to include tons of programs, but MS adds media player and they get sued.

Gorion
12-19-07, 01:42 PM
this is on thing i hate about apple, and how they are treated.

its ok for them to include tons of programs, but MS adds media player and they get sued.

That would be because when you only reporesent 5% of the worlds pc's no one cares.

Rakeesh
12-19-07, 02:12 PM
Yeah I've been reading about this on various geek sites (digg, slashdot, ars) and the common linux and mac fanboy wisdom spreading these days is suddenly "oh, well the number of exploits found in the OS doesn't indicate how secure it is."

Very convenient given that their primary ammo against windows for years has been the number of exploits found in it.