PDA

View Full Version : Vista users only. Poll: Is your cpu 32bit or 64bit?

Gregor976
12-19-07, 12:17 AM
I'm not asking which version of Vista you use 32bit or 64 bit.

I'm just asking about your CPU. Is it a 32bit CPU or a 64bit cpu.

I'm curious as to the percentage of Vista users running older CPU's like XP and P4's without the 64bit extensions.

If you're running an even older CPU let us know.

conroejoe
12-19-07, 09:33 AM
you'd have to be generations behind to not have a x64 compatible chip. P4 or athlon. I dont think anyone with hardware that old would even be running Vista.

Tr1cK
12-19-07, 09:51 AM
Releasing 32bit Vista was just dumb on MS part. It just stifles progress.

Revs
12-19-07, 09:54 AM
Releasing 32bit Vista was just dumb on MS part. It just stifles progress.

+1

Aint just about all CPU's 64bit now-a-days?

nekrosoft13
12-19-07, 10:42 AM
:|

why the hell did Bearclaw voted that his CPU is 32bit?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

CaptNKILL
12-19-07, 10:53 AM
:|

why the hell did Bearclaw voted that his CPU is 32bit?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Don't mind him.

He is a clawbear you know.

conroejoe
12-19-07, 11:08 AM
+1

Aint just about all CPU's 64bit now-a-days?

+1, Vista should've only been 64-bit to push devs to start taking advantage of it.

Tr1cK
12-19-07, 11:09 AM
+1, Vista should've only been 64-bit to push devs to start taking advantage of it.
I thought Longhorn was planned to be 64 bit from the start and then they changed it for some reason?

Rakeesh
12-19-07, 02:06 PM

Software and driver compatibility in vista x64 is every bit as good as x32.

Gregor976
12-19-07, 02:37 PM

The point is that if there was only the 64bit version there would be a lot less wasted development hours that could have been spent on the polishing that vista needs.

The 32bit version is a waste of time/work for those developing drivers etc... IMO

I think that we "this forum" are a lot higher on the hardware curve than the average pc user, but then how many of them are even adept enough to install a new OS??

32bit Vista is a waste. Pure and simple. People are bitching a lot about Vista. There would have been a lot less to bitch about if developer efforts weren't divided between 32bit and 64bit. Simpler or not with Vista, it's still a waste.

Slammin
12-19-07, 04:53 PM
The point is that if there was only the 64bit version there would be a lot less wasted development hours that could have been spent on the polishing that vista needs.

The 32bit version is a waste of time/work for those developing drivers etc... IMO

I think that we "this forum" are a lot higher on the hardware curve than the average pc user, but then how many of them are even adept enough to install a new OS??

32bit Vista is a waste. Pure and simple. People are bitching a lot about Vista. There would have been a lot less to bitch about if developer efforts weren't divided between 32bit and 64bit. Simpler or not with Vista, it's still a waste.

I'm not asking which version of Vista you use 32bit or 64 bit.

I'm just asking about your CPU. Is it a 32bit CPU or a 64bit cpu.

I'm curious as to the percentage of Vista users running older CPU's like XP and P4's without the 64bit extensions.

If you're running an even older CPU let us know.

Now what are you on about?

Dragunov
12-19-07, 05:12 PM
Well, cause of this, I still run good old 32-bit OS, next OS is gonna be 64-bit (Windows 7 I guess)

Gregor976
12-19-07, 06:44 PM
Now what are you on about?

Quite simply, I was referring to the poll itself and not the inevitable follow up discussion.

I hear a lot in this forum talking about running the 32bit version of Vista. I couldn't grasp why anyone would run it if they have the hardware to run the 64bit version. The poll confirms this. As of this post, 40 for 40 are running the 64bit version with 1 person either mistakenly or "jokingly" clicking on the 32bit option. "Unless Bearclaw says differently".

That's exactly what I'm on about. :)

I wonder what percentage of OEM PC's, Dell etc... are bought with the 32bit version?

Edit: BTW, can you guys see who voted what? I thought I chose an option for that, but I can't see it myself.

conroejoe
12-19-07, 08:32 PM

I know - but we need some x64 apps and to push devs that way, they need to stop coding for x86. Time to kill x86 and push everyone and everything to x64 and start taking advantage of it. How many apps do you install in Vista x64 and they end up in the x86 folder? Let's see alot more apps written for x64.

Gregor976
12-20-07, 02:53 PM
Well, cause of this, I still run good old 32-bit OS, next OS is gonna be 64-bit (Windows 7 I guess)

I don't comprehend what you're saying here. "Cause of this".

I see no cause in this thread yet to warrant running 32bit vista with a 64bit cpu. So, what then is your reason for running 32bit?

XDanger
12-20-07, 05:18 PM
I wonder what percentage of OEM PC's, Dell etc... are bought with the 32bit version?

Dells are having 3gb now, That smells of 32bit. (rhyming slang)

Dragunov
12-20-07, 05:34 PM
I don't comprehend what you're saying here. "Cause of this".

I see no cause in this thread yet to warrant running 32bit vista with a 64bit cpu. So, what then is your reason for running 32bit?

Programs, Creative driver for soundcard needs to get more mature

I think I gonna run into much compatibility programs when running 64-bit, 32-bit is more a safe zone for now, gonna move to 64-bit in a year I guess

Cause the serial determines the version of Vista, not the 32-bit or 64-bit

Gregor976
12-20-07, 05:48 PM
Programs, Creative driver for soundcard needs to get more mature

I think I gonna run into much compatibility programs when running 64-bit, 32-bit is more a safe zone for now, gonna move to 64-bit in a year I guess

Cause the serial determines the version of Vista, not the 32-bit or 64-bit

You do realize that the poll is about your CPU and not your Vista version, don't you?

It is not the serial # which determines whether vista is 64bit or 32bit. You can use the same serial for either. You will however have to reinstall your system from scratch if you change to the 64bit version so that you can upgrade your RAM.

Ultimate, Home or Basic Vista is irrelevant to this discussion. Those feature differences are the same whether 64bit or 32bit.

The creative console works fine. Changing the card mode is just a much a PITA whether 64bit or 32bit. :) IMO the creative drivers/programs need to mature whatever their "bitness". If creative didn't have to split it's focus between the 2 we would have had better XFI drivers at Vista launch.

Dragunov
12-21-07, 06:35 AM
I know, but I just follow my senses, I gonna move to 64-bit... in time

And yeah didn't I tell the serial dertermines the version, not the 32-bit or 64-bit, with version I mean: Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate

I realize what's the poll is about CPU, but u asked me why I stay with 32-bit for now, so I gave u an answer

Slammin
12-21-07, 11:17 AM
The OP is rude and confused.

Thread ignored......

Gregor976
12-21-07, 03:55 PM
The OP is rude and confused.

Thread ignored......

Umm, OK. If I was rude, I apologize. It wasn't intended. I was simply trying to be clear.

I think though that your skin is a bit to thin. :)

EDIT: 2 people claim to run Vista with a 32 bit CPU. 1 was a mistake judging by his signature. Bearclaw? Who was the other?