PDA

View Full Version : NEED Help with Vista!

MustangSVT
12-19-07, 01:33 AM
Hey folks. I just bought myself a new laptop and it comes with vista home premium. Here are my main issues.

My previous laptop had these specs:

Pentium M 1.73ghz
512mb DDR2
15.4" LCD
integrated GPU

My new laptop:

Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz
2GB DDR2
15.4" LCD
integrated CPU

I didn't get a "great CPU" because 99% of the time I use the "medium" setting on my laptop anyway to save battery power. All I do on it is web browsing, email, maybe some Super Nintendo emulator or N64 emulator, and some DVD playback and some listening to MP3s so that's why I got this laptop because I didn't need anything special.

However Vista is just giving me a headache.

#1 - the left mouse button seems to click by itself every so often (IT JUST DID AS I WAS TYPING THIS SENTECE!). Say I have the cursor pointed to the middle of this forum textbox writing this message, it'll randomly click the cursor (and I swear, my hand is nowhere near the left touchpad button on the laptop) and it'll jump to that position, so I have to delete what I just wrote, and click back cursor into proper position. This'll happen in Firefox, Adobe Reader (say I was using page up and page down, and all of a sudden the cursor clicks for some reason and now I have to point the touchpad again properly, it's a freaking PITA.

#2 - the computer feels freaking slow. Everything. Programs seem to load slower. I have the damn laptop plugged in right now with full CPU power and Vista is using 680mb of ram or something like that. IT FEELS SLOWER than my previous laptop with XP with the "CPU" set to "medium speed" which is probably under 1GHz. WHAT GIVES?? Like say I type something into google on firefox, or what I'm typing right now, sometimes it'll take a second to just load what I typed. I have never ever experienced this with XP.

Those 2 issues are driving me crazy. If I don't find a fix very soon, I will just install XP cause Vista just seems to be stupid. Last but not least, it was so annoying to actually set it up properly. That USER ACCOUNT CONTROL piece of crap that whenever I ran some damn program or did freaking anything "are you SURE you want this". Ya I am you piece of crap, why the hell would I click on it if I DIDN"T? (OMG there it goes again the cursor clicked outside the page, what a freaking piece of sh1t).

Gregor976
12-19-07, 01:51 AM
You can just turn off UAC. Even turned down I couldn't stand it.

How much software is it preloaded with that runs at startup?

Have you done all the Vista updates?

I always turn off the animation crap whether in aero or the classic. It just makes the interface seem less kludgy and slow. When I click I want instant gratification not animation.

Superfetch will use almost all your memory until you need it. It will log the things you do on your laptop and load extra memory with that stuff in advance. If you don't like it, you can turn it off also.

The LMB clicking by itself sounds like a hardware prob. Look for a driver update. If that doesn't fix it or if you don't find one I'd just take it back and exchange it.

What brand is it and where did you get it?

Blade
12-19-07, 06:57 AM
I've got the fix!

Install XP & start again.

conroejoe
12-19-07, 10:30 AM
I've got the fix!

Install XP & start again.

QFT

einstein_314
12-19-07, 01:49 PM
Are you sure you're not accidentally tapping the touch pad? Maybe try adjusting the sensitivity of it. You can set it so that light taps won't be registered (at least I can on mine).

As for it being slow. First thing I'd do is disable the UAC. Unless you don't install stuff regularly. If you just use it, the UAC never really bothers you. It's when you start installing stuff all the time and changing settings that it goes crazy. It can be disabled in the User Control Panel.

Also check all the preloaded apps. The first thing I do when I buy a computer (any prebuilt one with OS pre installed) is uninstall all the useless crap that they install on it. Everything goes. The only things I keep are essential programs that are needed for some features (like the media buttons on my laptop, without the software, they don't work at all).

I have Vista Ultimate installed on my HP Laptop (T2300 1.66Ghz CPU (this is the old core duo, not a new core 2 duo), 1.5GB RAM, integrated GPU) and it runs great. One thing to keep in mind with regards to RAM usage is that Vista caches frequently used programs to make them start faster. Using a lot of RAM is not a bad thing. If anything it's more efficient than having 75% of it empty just sitting there.

MustangSVT
12-20-07, 02:34 AM
My friend just told me that his brother with Toshiba laptop has the same issue with the left mouse button clicking itself randomly, so sounds like a Vista problem to me.

As soon as I come back from vacation, I will be installing XP. Vista is just TOO MUCH of a headache. Whenever I try to do anything, my head nearly explodes.

As for it being slow. First thing I'd do is disable the UAC. Unless you don't install stuff regularly. If you just use it, the UAC never really bothers you. It's when you start installing stuff all the time and changing settings that it goes crazy. It can be disabled in the User Control Panel.

Also check all the preloaded apps. The first thing I do when I buy a computer (any prebuilt one with OS pre installed) is uninstall all the useless crap that they install on it. Everything goes. The only things I keep are essential programs that are needed for some features (like the media buttons on my laptop, without the software, they don't work at all).

I already turned off UAC within first hour of running Vista. And I'm more than sure I'm not touching the touchpad, my hand is nowhere near it and the fact my friend's laptop does the exact same thing with him not touching the touchpad at all tells me it's a Vista problem (my laptop is Acer, his is Toshiba, completely different).