PDA

View Full Version : Why Did I Listen To You?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Q
12-20-07, 11:34 PM
My XP install was getting long in the tooth and had WAY too many applications/games installed on it. It was time for a wipe and reload. I decided since there were so many people here who had been praising Vista as if it was the second coming of Jesus Christ, I would give it another chance.

For my birthday (yesterday) I bought an X52 HOTAS so I could enjoy FSX: Acc. and Blazing Angels 2 in all of their glory.

Well guess ****ing what?

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

That's how FSX BSODed my system three times. Blazing Angels thankfully just CTD with the same message.

Vista64, newest drivers all around.

I'm hoping that I'll install a game that worked fine under XP that will actually RUN before I get too tired tonight...

Why did I listen to you?

mullet
12-20-07, 11:48 PM
Sorry man I really am but :rofl

Q
12-20-07, 11:51 PM
Sorry man I really am but :rofl

I'm going to be laughing soon, too. All the way back to XP.

;)

Actually, I figure I may as well give the SP1 thing a shot, but DAMN am I pissed.

Where's Evilghost and the Iraqi Minister of Information when you need them?

wEEt
12-21-07, 12:17 AM
I was getting this error when I overclocked my card to much but it's gone for now. I'm using 169.13 with mit 8800GT. Buy yeah, that error sucked. Don't really know where the **** it really came from.

Redeemed
12-21-07, 12:37 AM

;)

Actually, I figure I may as well give the SP1 thing a shot, but DAMN am I pissed.

Where's Evilghost and the Iraqi Minister of Information when you need them?
I hear penguins are the new fad...

Q
12-21-07, 12:43 AM
I hear penguins are the new fad...

Eh, that's kinda yucky. I DO enjoy using my gaming computer for... well... gaming.

Redeemed
12-21-07, 12:48 AM
Eh, that's kinda yucky. I DO enjoy using my gaming computer for... well... gaming.
Well, I bet you didn't know that an Apple a day keeps the PC-Doctor away... :wtf:

Q
12-21-07, 12:54 AM
Well, I bet you didn't know that an Apple a day keeps the PC-Doctor away... :wtf:

My brain is hemorrhaging.

Redeemed
12-21-07, 12:56 AM
My brain is hemorrhaging.
You're turning me on now... :eek2:

Uberpwnage
12-21-07, 01:19 AM
Vista will be ok for a long time, then it will start crashing like crazy, then go back to normal...atleast thats my experience. I installed for the first time in July without much trouble, about a month ago I had a BSoD or freeze about once or twice a day, but it seems perfectly fine now.

Redeemed
12-21-07, 01:35 AM
Vista will be ok for a long time, then it will start crashing like crazy, then go back to normal...atleast thats my experience. I installed for the first time in July without much trouble, about a month ago I had a BSoD or freeze about once or twice a day, but it seems perfectly fine now.

Like any good woman, Vista isn't perfect.

Err, wait a minute... :headexplode:

Zapablast05
12-21-07, 04:21 AM
You'll be fine just as long as you're not overclocking too much. Try using the Windows recommended driver, I think it's 163.69.

Dragunov
12-21-07, 06:32 AM
No real problems with Vista :D

six_storm
12-21-07, 08:32 AM

:udawg:

This is so hilarious! I haven't had any huge crashes with Vista, but rather just incompatibilities and performance issues.

Tr1cK
12-21-07, 08:36 AM
:udawg:

This is so hilarious! I haven't had any huge crashes with Vista, but rather just incompatibilities and performance issues.
That's enough to sell it to me! Where do I sign up?

conroejoe
12-21-07, 09:15 AM
You'll be fine just as long as you're not overclocking too much. Try using the Windows recommended driver, I think it's 163.69.

I still push 3.7 with my quad in Vista and have already flashed my 8800GTX and run both Vista x64 and XP. There is no difference - the problem with overclocking is heat and since Aero is 3d app your GPU may be running hotter before entering a game. To say that overclocking in Vista is any different than in XP is not true and misleading. My stuff is all water cooled and I can OC the same in XP and Vista.

Q
12-21-07, 10:06 AM
I never overclock any of my equipment.

Although I do upgrade about once a year, I usually pass down my equipment to my girlfriend's rig. The last thing I need is her machine fritzing out because I pushed the hardware too hard for too long.

Well, after a script, three magical trips to windows update, three reboots, a 30+ minute install, and a couple MORE reboots, I'm on SP1. Let's see what happens when I try to game!

ViN86
12-21-07, 10:09 AM
sorry Q, but this thread is gold! :rofl

nekrosoft13
12-21-07, 10:18 AM
what driver are you running btw,

Q
12-21-07, 10:40 AM
what driver are you running btw,

With SP1, I thought I would see a drastic improvement in stability.

And BOY did I!!!

I managed to fly nearly half of the way from Lynchburg to Richmond, a FULL 20 minutes before I got...

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

God bless America, Bigman, and every single one of you on the blind bandwagon.

I'll be gone for at least a couple hours... you know... installing that operating system that actually works.

Edit: I know this is an NV specific error, but my intensive research (Google for five minutes) has shown that ATI gets there own error like this ATIkkklll;;;lll in Vista as well.

nekrosoft13
12-21-07, 10:44 AM
have fun, i had that error maybe twice and that was in january or february with 100.30 driver. First G80 driver that leaked out.

Q
12-21-07, 10:47 AM
have fun, i had that error maybe twice and that was in january or february with 100.30 driver. First G80 driver that leaked out.

To be honest, I remember having that specific error for a while in general desktop usage for the first few drivers. Then it worked it self out, then I got tired of other Vista issues and have been on XP for over 6 months. I could probably play the "let's find a compatible driver" game, but I'm not really feeling that right now since the crash takes ~20 minutes to find.

nekrosoft13
12-21-07, 11:04 AM
do you use java? in XP i had crazy issues with games crashing, and generally unstable system when anything direct3d or opengl was running

it turned out java was causing it, quick azureus/java uninstall and it was fine.

Q
12-21-07, 11:06 AM
do you use java? in XP i had crazy issues with games crashing, and generally unstable system when anything direct3d or opengl was running

it turned out java was causing it, quick azureus/java uninstall and it was fine.

I've had that same Java issue occasionally, but I haven't even installed the runtime on this box yet. I literally installed JUST Windows Updates and current drivers, Firefox (no plugins), and then the games.

Buckeye
12-21-07, 11:19 AM
But it said it "successfully recovered" so it should be ok ;)