PDA

View Full Version : 8RDA+ or NF7-S

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CaptNKILL
04-20-03, 09:16 AM
Hey guys, I know I asked about mobos before, but mine seems like its finally ready to croak, so Im looking at mobos again.

Im stuck between two.

The Abit NF7-S and the Epox 8RDA+.

I know the NF7-S is supposed to be the better of the two (now that revision 2.0 is out), but it also costs $30 more than the Epox board, and I dont know if its really worth it.

The 8RDA+ can be bought at newegg for a measly $94 (it dropped about 20 bucks in the past 2 weeks... no idea why). The best deal on the NF7-S is at www.excaliberpc.com (they are an official Abit dealer) for $120.

Sure, its only $26, but I dont have much of an income, so I need all the money I can get.

Heres what the NF7-S 2.0 has over the Epox:
*Soundstorm certification (the epox has the same sound on it, but it isnt certified because they didnt use all of the connectors.. not really a big deal)
*Probably better stability because its a newer board (this is my biggest concern)
*Serial ATA (I dont plan on using it but, it would be nice to have just in case)
*Better overclocking potential (I just want to get it to 166FSB, and I'll be happy)

Im leaning toward the Abit board, but what do you guys think? Is it worth the extra money for me?

Thanks for any input.

SavagePaladin
04-20-03, 10:24 AM
I'd say an enthusiastic "Yes!" but only because I really like Abit. I'm told the Abit board unlocks multipliers so you can OC like mad without modding too....dunno bout the other.

demonized
04-20-03, 05:22 PM
I'd go for the Abit mobo. It supports the 400fsb bartons. And since its a new revision, there's less chance of bios corruption that alot of people have experienced when they bought the first nf2 mobo's. Get the bios savior just to be safe.:)

CaptNKILL
04-21-03, 12:57 AM
Looks like I'll be ordering a new mobo tomorrow (actually, later today). Ive been having ENDLESS problems installing Windows XP. Ive installed it at least 12 times in the past week. Yeah 12. It worked enough to play a few games here and there, but really, Im too picky about my computer to use a bad install for more than a day. I finally narrowed it down to the mobo... that is, unless its my Video card or sound card thats causing problems (not likely).

In short: my 7VRX is finally being "retired". I'll probably order the NF7-S, then I'll RMA my 7VRX to HOPEFULLY get a working one in the next few weeks (or months).... I mean, why let this one sit here dead when I can maybe get a new one?

BTW, my advice: dont buy Gigabyte (at least not the 7VRX or 7VRXP). This board is known for having a few stupid bugs related to overclocking, but my board damaged itself for no reason a few months ago, and its finally showing its effects. BAD DESIGN.

CaptNKILL
04-21-03, 01:04 AM
In case your wondering, im using a computer that WAS half built a little while ago. I salvaged some pieces from my main comp (the one in my sig) and threw them in this one. Installed the SAME version of XP that was giving me trouble, and its working great so far.

This comp isnt all that bad...
ECS K7S5A
Athlon XP 1800+ (palamino)
512Mbs Pc-2700 (running at PC-2100 because of mobo limits)
Geforce 2 MX 200 PCI 32Mb
4gig WD hard drive (:D)

i'll probably throw my Geforce 4 in it tomorrow to hold me over until my new mobo arrives.

Wish me luck guys..... and send me some money too, im gonna need it to pay for this mobo :cry:

demonized
04-21-03, 02:51 AM
Have fun overclocking the XP 1700 when you get the new board. I might get the same board when money starts coming in.

CaptNKILL
04-21-03, 05:21 PM
I just ordered the NF7-S 2.0 with a BIOS recovery kit from www.excaliberpc.com

Shipped, the total was $138.99.

Not a bad price considering how great this mobo is, and that Ive got an extra BIOS chip (and the tool to replace it) incase it ever dies on me.

I wish I could afford overnight shipping.

<<< Doesnt want to wait a week for his new mobo.
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

fasedww
04-21-03, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Hey guys, I know I asked about mobos before, but mine seems like its finally ready to croak, so Im looking at mobos again.

Im stuck between two.

The Abit NF7-S and the Epox 8RDA+.

I know the NF7-S is supposed to be the better of the two (now that revision 2.0 is out), but it also costs $30 more than the Epox board, and I dont know if its really worth it.

The 8RDA+ can be bought at newegg for a measly $94 (it dropped about 20 bucks in the past 2 weeks... no idea why). The best deal on the NF7-S is at www.excaliberpc.com (they are an official Abit dealer) for $120.

Sure, its only $26, but I dont have much of an income, so I need all the money I can get.

Heres what the NF7-S 2.0 has over the Epox:
*Soundstorm certification (the epox has the same sound on it, but it isnt certified because they didnt use all of the connectors.. not really a big deal)
*Probably better stability because its a newer board (this is my biggest concern)
*Serial ATA (I dont plan on using it but, it would be nice to have just in case)
*Better overclocking potential (I just want to get it to 166FSB, and I'll be happy)

Im leaning toward the Abit board, but what do you guys think? Is it worth the extra money for me?

Thanks for any input. You can get the NF7-2.0 new revision, for 100.00 bucks, doesn't have the soundstorm Audio though But I got a Audigy2. , I order the deluxe surival kit too. Also it doesn't have the sata support, I don't care though

CaptNKILL
04-21-03, 10:23 PM
Already ordered, but I really wanted Sound Storm audio, so the NF7 was out of the question. I figure, if im going to spend $100 on a mobo, why not spend $20 more to get a great sound card with it? Plus, im a sound junky and I really want to test something thats NOT made by Creative, yet is made by a company that is still in business (Aureal and Turtle Beach both left the soundcard bis within 4 months after I bought their products).

Also, I think the NF7-S comes with an IDE to SATA converter (for an IDE hard drive), so I will DEFFINITLY use that. When I see a replacement for these stupid freaking ribbon cables, im there.

I wish excaliber pc used FedEx. I know FedEx could get my package to my by friday (from California to Pennsylvania), but UPS? I dont know. Im hoping they will, but judging from past experiences, I probably wont even get it by MONDAY. It'll probably arrive on Tuesday next week :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
04-24-03, 02:48 PM
OK, a freind of mine told me that the Abit NF7-S boards are "known" for having "bad" capacitors.... is this true? Ive read a million messages and reviews of Nforce boards and ive never heard this.

My freind said that they are visibly not connected correctly (you can just look at the board and tell something is wrong), and that they can burn up. Im VERY sceptical and I havent recieved my board yet, but does anyone know what this is about?

SavagePaladin
04-24-03, 03:51 PM
I've heard absolutely nothing like that also.

CaptNKILL
04-24-03, 05:26 PM
Yeah I thought it was pretty fishy.

Heh, the guys who told me this pretty much REFUSE to buy anything not made by Shuttle, so thats probably why they told me it was "known" to be bad. :tongue2:

It was probably just one bad board that they came across anyway.

FastM
04-24-03, 06:10 PM
Older Abit boards (and a bunch of other manufactures) had problems with leaking and exploding capaciters. It has nothing to do with the way their connected, just the top of them will start to buldge, and one day leak or even explode, i asure you this has nothing to do with any nForce2 boards.

Good choice with the Abit, Next step is to get yourself a TB cpu and run 200Mhz FSB in sync with the memory :)

netviper13
04-24-03, 08:24 PM
If I don't want to use Soundstorm (because unlike my GTXP, it can't hook up to my bookshelf stereo system at the same time it's hooked up to my Z560s), do you think the Abit board is still the better buy?

CaptNKILL
04-24-03, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by FastM

Good choice with the Abit, Next step is to get yourself a TB cpu and run 200Mhz FSB in sync with the memory :)

Ive already got a 1700+ JIUHB.. see my sig.

Im just shooting for 166x12.5. No extra stress on my RAM, and probably decent temps. 2075Mhz isnt bad at all considering the CPU is only cost me $50 :)

If I get really ambitious, I might go for 170x12.5... 2125Mhz.... :drooling:

CaptNKILL
04-24-03, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by netviper13
If I don't want to use Soundstorm (because unlike my GTXP, it can't hook up to my bookshelf stereo system at the same time it's hooked up to my Z560s), do you think the Abit board is still the better buy?

If you arent going to use the onboard sound, then you should probably just go with the NF7 (non S). Its around $100, and is just about as good as the NF7-S. There are plenty of other (cheaper)boards too, but I know that the Abit NF7 boards are among the best (right up there with the Asus).

SavagePaladin
04-24-03, 08:55 PM
ASUS (apparent...no personal experience) complete lack of tech support is driving some people nuts.

netviper13
04-24-03, 09:01 PM
I don't think there are any other boards certified for 400fsb, are there?

netviper13
04-24-03, 09:08 PM
On second thought, Soundstorm is sounding more and more appetizing, and these Z-560s are sounding good enough to hold me over until I can invest in some serious home-theater quality audio equipment. Sounds like the Abit it is.

SavagePaladin
04-24-03, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by netviper13
On second thought, Soundstorm is sounding more and more appetizing, and these Z-560s are sounding good enough to hold me over until I can invest in some serious home-theater quality audio equipment. Sounds like the Abit it is.

Nice. (By the way, the current drivers have a slightly irritating issue with some games, but I expect that'll be fixed within a month)

SnakeEyes
04-25-03, 09:34 AM
Even without using the onboard SoundStorm audio, the NF7-S might appeal to you if you're planning to use the other additional features it has over the basic NF7. The SATA, etc..

I know I'm really lovin' the fact that I have not a single PCI card in my system now. In fact, the only card I have at all is my 9700. If I decided not to use the SoundStorm (heh, not sure I should call it that, since to my knowledge, Asus hasn't regained the certification yet), I'd still only have two cards in my system total. The additional onboard features are really great. (Until the nForce1/2, I was the type that went out of my way to avoid integrated motherboards, mainly because the parts that were integrated were usually feature-stripped variations on the available add-in components. nVidia has really done a good job there, as have most of the motherboard manufacturers by the inclusion of the firewire / SATA controllers too). :)

CaptNKILL
04-25-03, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
Nice. (By the way, the current drivers have a slightly irritating issue with some games, but I expect that'll be fixed within a month)

Yeah the next Nforce drivers are supposed to be awesome...

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11242&sid=da4a83a4cf34baa5fe9482f1704e25c1

I hope they are released shortly after my mobo arrives...

BTW, it looks like I will probably get it on monday or tuesday, like I said.

UPS BLOWS. From 7PM on the 21st to 2PM on the 24th, they only get it from california to Illinois! Fed Ex gets it that far in the first day! The thing that really pisses me off is that they recieved the package in illinois at 2PM, but they didnt ship the freaking thing out again until 11PM!!! It was sitting there doing NOTHING for 9 HOURS!!!

UPS, needs to work on their service. They are usually a LOT more expensive than FedEx and their shipping speed is horrid.

Another thing, UPS only updates their tracking thing once a day (or less).. and when they DO update it, its old news (when I got home from school, they finally told me that it shipped out at 11PM last night).

demonized
04-26-03, 10:29 PM
hmm. i got mine yesterday:D took me 2 hours to get to the only store that sells 2.0's. my 1700 wont go any higher than 2.1ghz.
i dont have the bios saviour so im not pushing any further. I think we bought are 1700's at the same time. Tell me how well it overclocks when u get tha board.

CaptNKILL
04-26-03, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by demonized
hmm. i got mine yesterday:D took me 2 hours to get to the only store that sells 2.0's. my 1700 wont go any higher than 2.1ghz.
i dont have the bios saviour so im not pushing any further. I think we bought are 1700's at the same time. Tell me how well it overclocks when u get tha board.

heh, your lucky :)

Mine isnt going to arrive until Monday! Leave it to UPS to take a WEEK to ship ONE pakage across the US. Kinda rediculous really. FedEx should be the only shipping company that computer services use.... when people order hardware, its probably because they NEED IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO GET THEIR MACHINES RUNNING!!!!!!! GAAAAH!!!! :fu: :banghead: :fu: :banghead: :fu:

oh... sorry... :D

Anyway, when I get my mobo, I'll let it run at defaults (gasp!) for a little while, then I'll crank it. Deffinitly going to run it at 166fsb at first, with default multiplier (11). That will give me a decent OC (1826Mhz) to burn the system in before cranking the multi.

I dont have any massive cooling setup, so im not expecting any more than 2075Mhz (12.5x166). But if my gaming temps are still under 50C, I'll go a little higher... or buy a loud, annoying fan that pushes more air :p

CaptNKILL
04-26-03, 11:06 PM
hahaah, this is funny... this is the latest info provided by UPS tracking:

Apr 26, 2003 3:22 A.M.

NEW STANTON, PA, US

DEPARTURE SCAN

yeah, it says it *left* a city thats only about 150 miles away 21 hours ago... and it hasnt arrived! Funny thing is, they arent even supposed to SHIP on Saturdays. I think im going to tell excaliber pc to convert to FedEx. It'd help their business a LOT.