PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

vampireuk
04-20-03, 01:05 PM
Right! I've decided to finally sort this out. My logitech Z-540 (not the 680s im getting those later :p) are all plugged in and set up in 4:1 in the nForce control panel. However only the front two are working, anyone else had this problem with the A7N8X. Lord BU mentioned a spdif bracket, which I don't seem to have:mad:

I need more sound!:D

Smokey
04-20-03, 03:45 PM
Im guessing you didnt get the Deluxe versio which would come with that bracket, just like my non ARU KT3Ultra. In that case if you look in the manual, I think you have to use the mic input? Also check to see if there are any driver updates for your onboard sound, not sure if that is any help, but thats all I can think of :(

vampireuk
04-20-03, 04:33 PM
Oddly enough this is the deluxe version....:mad:

netviper13
04-20-03, 04:38 PM
I don't think you can use S/PDIF with those 540s, I know my 560s sure don't have connections for that.

IIRC the Asus board had issues with 4.1 setups, don't remember how it was solved though.

vampireuk
04-20-03, 04:47 PM
I'm actually a little annoyed about it, even if the speakers i have at the moment can't use the bracket. My Mobo was suppose to come with this bracket and it didn't:mad:

Edit: ouch typos:eek:

Smokey
04-20-03, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
I'm actually a little annoyed about it, even if the speakers i have at the moment can't use the bracket. My Mobo was suppose to come with this bracket and it didn't:mad:

Edit: ouch typos:eek:

Email Asus and or the place where you bought the board. You know you should have got that Audigy2 :p

nForce2 is good for DualDDR from what I have read, but have been reading alot of problems about the onboard sound :(

You could also try AMDMB (http://www.amdmb.com)

omghi2u
04-21-03, 12:28 AM
How are you testing your sound? If you're using winamp, winamp only supports pure stereo, or dual stereo. And you have to set your control panel --> sound and audio devices to either stereo, or quadraphonic.

LORD-eX-Bu
04-21-03, 02:22 AM
lol, oddly enough I recommended Audigy 2 to him as well Smokey:lol:

You should have bought those better looking grey 5.1 speakers vamphttp://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=105411

SnakeEyes
04-21-03, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
Im guessing you didnt get the Deluxe versio which would come with that bracket, just like my non ARU KT3Ultra. In that case if you look in the manual, I think you have to use the mic input? Also check to see if there are any driver updates for your onboard sound, not sure if that is any help, but thats all I can think of :(
The Deluxe version doesn't come with the bracket, so he didn't get ripped off. Instead, in order to meet the digital I/O requirement, it has a coaxial SP/DIF located next to the standard analog I/O block at the back of the motherboard.

NewEgg sells (or did, things change, and I haven't looked again lately) the Asus SP/DIF expansion bracket, which includes a pair of coaxial and a pair of optical connections (input and output for each). I paid $17 for it back when I bought my A7N8X Deluxe. But it's not really necessary if you only need the digital for output and your speakers can accept the coaxial connection. (I don't use mine much, unless I want to use the digital input for sound from my entertainment center, which is rare).

vampireuk
04-21-03, 11:16 AM
it uses a what where now?:D

All I want is for my back speakers to work:cry:

omghi2u
04-21-03, 01:52 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1038807413BLE1qRube2_1_12_l.jpg

This is what it looks like right? Did you connect to the green and blue? AFAIK, you don't need the spdif bracket. That's only for 5.1.

SnakeEyes
04-21-03, 03:48 PM
Nice pic, omghi2u. I used it to show vamp the connector I'm talking about. Hope you don't mind:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=107448
That connector works for digital speakers, so even those of us that can use dolby digital output with our sounds systems don't need the Digital I/O bracket to get it.

BTW, I believe omghi2u is correct about hooking up the green and blue for analog FL/FR RL/RR output to your speakers. I'm not certain about whether you also need to change some other settings in the driver applet, since I haven't used the analog outputs with mine at all (well, obviously you'd need to select 4 speaker output, but that should be it).

volt
04-23-03, 11:31 AM
I just got the Klipsch 4.1's from Circuitcity for 189 (authorized dealer). Kick ass! :D

vampireuk
04-24-03, 08:05 AM
I set them up with the green and blue and ran the speaker set up wizard, still nothing >_<