PDA

View Full Version : Maximus Formula Overclocking

Technoholic
12-22-07, 07:22 PM
Wow, I love my motherboard already!

It arrived yesterday or two days ago, I can't remember when. (crazy) I had a busy week.

But yesterday, I began overclocking... Wow, it's rock stable at E6600 3.2GHz, according to CoreTemp 0.94.5 or something like that, it says 28C idle, and with OCCT Stress Testing, and it went up to 48C max! I was impressed with the temp and overclocking, I'm happy with the result!!

I tried to up the FSB, to achieve 3.4 GHz to make it ONE gigahertz above stock, I just want to feel unique? :p But when I do that, everything powers up, but nothing on screen, so I assumed it failed. So I guess I will be needing to up some voltages? If so, which one? CPU volt? NB volt?

I will edit this post to add voltages I have applied on the motherboard.

Here's the pix!
http://usera.imagecave.com/Technoholic/case/IMG_2478.JPG

[EDIT] Here's the voltages I applied on my motherboard.

My multiplier is set at 8, FSB at 400, that makes it 3200.

NorthBridge @ 1.45v
CPU (vCore) @ 1.38125v
CPU PLL (???) @ 1.5v
RAM @ 2.2v

And additional information, idk what it's really for, but I followed the overclocking guide @ XtremeSystem forums, it is CPU GTL and Northbridge GTL Reference set @ 63% for both.

I'm guessing I should boost my volt for VCORE? I feel 1.38 is kinda low when I want 3.4?

mullet
12-23-07, 12:24 AM
Nice job dude, looks awesome very clean!!! :thumbsup:

Technoholic
12-23-07, 01:26 PM
Increase the vCore big time? I want to keep the temp as low as possible. I'll up the vcore volt later. For 3.2GHz @ 48C Max Load is amazing to me!

wolfgar
12-23-07, 04:16 PM
Very nice.

Which cooler is that? the 9700? any problem getting it to fit?

I'm already planning a similar MB upgrade with the e9700 when the comes out in 3 weeks.

Glad things are going well. please keep us informed as to your progress.

Technoholic
12-23-07, 05:54 PM
That's 9500 I have right now... Well...Now I feel it's too small. :rofl And it fits perfectly, no problem at all. But the bracket on the motherboard, it's right on the top of little black boxes around the CPU. No problem at all.

9700 is obviously bigger, but be aware that the heatsink all around may be in the way.... I have no idea how bad it would be.. Try do some research, read some reviews and find out from there.

slaWter, you had to increase vcore alot, how much does it affect the temperature? I may stay with my OC.

mythy
12-23-07, 06:08 PM
yhat heat sink is crap 48C Tcase load is bad :( your CPU is rated to 61C but still My Quad at 3.4 doesn't go that high on full load using small ftps :p You should throw that hing out and get a 120 ultra

Dr.Nick
12-23-07, 07:04 PM
This is my oc. Nothing crazy as the NB gets way to hot and starts crapping out when temps pass 50c. My P5K Deluxe is still the much better OC'er

OC From CPU Level Up : Auto
CPU Ratio Control : Manual
Ratio CMOS Setting : 8
FSB Frequency : 431
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 400
PCI-E Frequency: 110
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-862
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : 1.425v
CPU PLL Voltage : Auto
North Bridge Voltage : 1.41v
DRAM Voltage : 1.94v
FSB Termination Voltage : 1.40v
South Bridge Voltage : Auto
Loadline Calibration : Enabled
CPU GTL Reference : Auto
North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto
SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto
Voltiminder LED : Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

Good read here (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3149&p=11) that explains most settings

Technoholic
12-23-07, 08:20 PM
You should throw that hing out and get a 120 ultra
I would, but .. I don't know why I'm waiting. :|

I'll just stay with my OC. I'm happy with it.

mythy
12-23-07, 08:52 PM
I tired so many coolers and wasted so much cash.. just go for it ;)

Amuro
12-24-07, 08:18 PM
Does your board automatically power off for two seconds then power back on immediately every time you first turn on the computer after an unplug or have changed your BIOS settings?

Amuro
12-24-07, 09:06 PM
yhat heat sink is crap 48C Tcase load is bad :( your CPU is rated to 61C but still My Quad at 3.4 doesn't go that high on full load using small ftps :p You should throw that hing out and get a 120 ultra
I thought his temps were Tjunction since he used Core Temp?

mythy
12-24-07, 09:18 PM
I missed core temp yea that Tjuction :o

Technoholic
12-24-07, 10:21 PM
Tjunction is something like a MAX temperature it should be? 85C.

mythy
12-24-07, 10:46 PM
that would be max tjunction... Tjunction is the temperature of the CPU die where it bonds with the PCB it rests on. Tcase is the temperature of th die where it meats with the IHS

john19055
12-27-07, 06:59 AM
You will more then likely need to increase your CPU core to 1.4v or higher to get to 3.4G.I have a Q6600 B3 and it will do 3150 at 1.3v but to get it up to 3.5G i have to go up to 1.45v and tempertures go to 66c running Prime95.Plus I don't gain that much in games with the extra 350Hz verus the temperture increase.

tweaked
12-27-07, 11:07 AM
turn up your cpu pll. 1.62 is a very safe notch to try.

that was the trick that allowed me to get my G0 q6600 at 3.6 at 1.375 volts core.

Technoholic
12-27-07, 12:01 PM
Does your board automatically power off for two seconds then power back on immediately every time you first turn on the computer after an unplug or have changed your BIOS settings?
I didn't see your post. I'm not sure. But every time I turn on my computer, it turns on then off and on. It's weird. :| But it doesn't hurt at all, does it? And I think it does the same thing after a BIOS change. I'm not sure, I haven't actually turned on and off my computer lately because I put it in sleep mode. My brother, for the week, is gonna be using it, so I'll ask him if it does that. I'm at my girlfriend's for the rest of the week.

You will more then likely need to increase your CPU core to 1.4v or higher to get to 3.4G.I have a Q6600 B3 and it will do 3150 at 1.3v but to get it up to 3.5G i have to go up to 1.45v and tempertures go to 66c running Prime95.Plus I don't gain that much in games with the extra 350Hz verus the temperture increase.
I tried increasing my vCore to 1.4 and slightly higher than 1.4, it doesn't work. slaWter said that E6600 is not a great overclocker so it's best I leave it at 3.2. :)

turn up your cpu pll. 1.62 is a very safe notch to try.

that was the trick that allowed me to get my G0 q6600 at 3.6 at 1.375 volts core.
I guess I'll try that... Even though I may stay with 3.2. But E6600 and Q6600 is a huge difference because..it's different. :p

Amuro
12-27-07, 08:21 PM
I didn't see your post. I'm not sure. But every time I turn on my computer, it turns on then off and on. It's weird. :| But it doesn't hurt at all, does it? And I think it does the same thing after a BIOS change. I'm not sure, I haven't actually turned on and off my computer lately because I put it in sleep mode. My brother, for the week, is gonna be using it, so I'll ask him if it does that. I'm at my girlfriend's for the rest of the week.
I experienced it myself when I had the board. It's probably a Intel thing.

balex99
12-27-07, 10:17 PM
You might try moving the multi back to 9 and then try. That will rule out the memory. It looks like your mem would not be a problem but atleast you would know. My E6600 is the same way. No extra Vcore to 3.2 then I need 1.475 to get me to 3.6 but I also run 9 x 400. Good luck.

Technoholic
12-28-07, 12:03 PM
You might try moving the multi back to 9 and then try. That will rule out the memory. It looks like your mem would not be a problem but atleast you would know. My E6600 is the same way. No extra Vcore to 3.2 then I need 1.475 to get me to 3.6 but I also run 9 x 400. Good luck.
I'll try that. Thanks for the heads up! :D