PDA

View Full Version : What is the speed difference between SATA and IDE?

ryan29121
12-26-07, 11:57 AM
I was wondering what the speed difference between the exact same drive in a SATA versus one in an IDE?

nekrosoft13
12-26-07, 12:01 PM
only burst will be different, sustainable speed will be the same

breathemetal
12-26-07, 12:07 PM
Id go SATA though, not just because its a little faster in areas, but its newer. IDE is old. BOOO.

ryan29121
12-26-07, 01:23 PM
Id go SATA though, not just because its a little faster in areas, but its newer. IDE is old. BOOO.

Yeah, I just bought all my parts for my computer and realized that I bought an IDE drive instead of the SATA drive i wanted. So i wanted to know how big of a difference it was before I sent it back. I just sent an RMA. Thanks for the help.

hokeyplyr48
12-26-07, 01:53 PM
plus SATA cables are smaller, which don't inhibit airflow as compared to IDE.
yes you can get rounded cables, but you have to buy those and their extra.

and sata sounds cooler

$n][pErMan
12-26-07, 06:06 PM
Uhhh... IDE = 133MBs/sec while SATA I = 150MBs/sec and SATA II = 300MBs/sec if I recall. There IS a data transfer rate difference.

jeffmd
12-26-07, 08:03 PM
yea...sata starts out real fast and goes faster. The cable is also much thinner and makes it so much easier to manuver around, and sata allows you to add on more and more drives easily. Also these days a good mobo will contain 6-8 of these ports, ignoring the fact they can be daisy chained too.

Gregor976
12-26-07, 08:55 PM
[pErMan']Uhhh... IDE = 133MBs/sec while SATA I = 150MBs/sec and SATA II = 300MBs/sec if I recall. There IS a data transfer rate difference.

This is still just burst rate because he's only talking about a single hard drive. What's a single Raptor's sustained rate again, around 70-80? Even if you use 2 of them in PATA raid they won't even push the available bandwidth. 266MB/s for 2 separate channels PATA Raid 1 x2drives.

That said, there is NO reason besides backward compatibility to use the PATA on a new MOBO. I would've RMA'd the PATA too.

Ryan, what are the rest of your parts in your new PC?

nekrosoft13
12-26-07, 09:19 PM
[pErMan']Uhhh... IDE = 133MBs/sec while SATA I = 150MBs/sec and SATA II = 300MBs/sec if I recall. There IS a data transfer rate difference.

ok and? fastest drive right now is Samsung F1 1TB and it reaches 115-120MB/s

so it barelly reaches IDE speed

hokeyplyr48
12-26-07, 10:41 PM
just out of curiosity and lack of knowledge, what do IDE drives typically run at then? or are they the same speeds as the SATA drives?

like are both drives equal in speed at the moment, it's just that SATA has more potential in the burst? or is SATA faster and has more potential?

hope that made sense

LORD-eX-Bu
12-26-07, 10:42 PM
about 2 mph.

crainger
12-26-07, 10:47 PM
:O_o:

Gregor976
12-27-07, 12:56 AM
about 2 mph.

That's just crazy talk, man.

The answer is 42. "Ultimately".

einstein_314
12-27-07, 03:21 AM
just out of curiosity and lack of knowledge, what do IDE drives typically run at then? or are they the same speeds as the SATA drives?

like are both drives equal in speed at the moment, it's just that SATA has more potential in the burst? or is SATA faster and has more potential?

hope that made sense
IDE and SATA drives are essentially exactly the same speed. My SATA Seagate 320GB hard drives will transfer files between them at ~70 MB/s. The IDE version would be exactly the same. This speed isn't limited by the max capacity of the connection (133 MB/s for IDE and 150 or 300 MB/s for SATA I and SATA II respectively) but it's limited by the physical performance of the drive. This includes platter RPM (7200 RPM for my drives). In the future when we have drives that can sustain a higher transfer rate then IDE will no longer be able to provide the bandwidth necessary.

I'd go with SATA anyways. I've been using SATA drives for 5 years now and see no need to go back. I've recently changed my DVD burner for a SATA version. No more IDE cables for me.