PDA

View Full Version : can I save my keyboard?

djbuzzkill
04-20-03, 06:15 PM
Hello, all. Is there any chance of getting my keyboards to work after Ive spilled water on it? Its been a couple of weeks and I was hoping there was still a chance itll work again since its had time to dry?

vampireuk
04-20-03, 06:37 PM
A couple of weeks? It will be dried out by now for sure, if it was just water it should work fine:cool:

netviper13
04-20-03, 06:37 PM
It should work by now and if it doesn't then it probably shorted out.

saturnotaku
04-20-03, 07:06 PM
If you want to make doubly sure, pry off all the keys and spry the innards of your keyboard with compressed air. Let it sit overnight, then put your keys back in. Should work fine after that. :)

LORD-eX-Bu
04-21-03, 01:23 AM
once I did that to this old keyboard of mines. It never recovered:lol:

SnakeEyes
04-21-03, 09:26 AM
Wow. This sounds like an experience I had not long after joining the Air Force. I was assigned to a Small Computer Tech Center, where our normal job was to receive requests for solutions to meet a variety of automation needs, research the available solutions (often obtaining test samples to verify the solutions), and then respond to the requesting unit with our recommendation.

While that shop is long since gone, it was an interesting place to be. At one point we received a shipment of PCs from another base that had recently had an office flooded. The PCs had been disconnected from power prior to evacuating the building, but were still soaked and had quite a bit of crud inside from where the stagnant water had been. All we had to do was open the cases up, clean them out (compressed air worked very well for most of that, though the smaller nooks and crannies took some work with a soft-bristle toothbrush to loosen the gunk first), dry any residual moisture from them, then reassemble everything. If I recall correctly, every single PC worked fine after this too, which surprised me. (I was still very new to PCs, and especially, to hardware- but then again, these were also 80286-based Zenith computers :P).

djbuzzkill
04-21-03, 07:18 PM
Tried prying the keys off and used a blow dryer ( no compressed air ) and still not working. Looks like Ill have to give and get a new keyboard. Thanks for all the help everyone : )

stncttr908
04-22-03, 11:36 AM
Ah, this brings back some memories. I once spilled a full glass of milk into my old Compaq's keyboard. It was history to say the least. If yours works, I'd be very surprised. If it doesn't, there isn't anything you can really do but get another one.

vampireuk
04-22-03, 12:46 PM
I once spilt a whole glass of lemonade into mine, it worked afterwords but it was unuseable as many keys were pressed at the same time:D

Gehenna_CA
04-23-03, 09:19 AM
I spilt water on my old p100's keyboard about 5 yrs ago. I let it sit for two days and it worked fine. It still works today as a matter of fact.