PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0

Fathertime36
12-28-07, 01:06 AM
I current have an Asus p5k that is giving me the royal ****s.....bios are complete trash imo, I goes to Asus's official site and nothing but issues clog the forums, lol I tried 4 different bios 4xxx,5xxx,6xxx,7xxx,8xxx, always introduced a new set of issues that are usually random in nature....and the horrid vdroop issue is major as for ocing, try doing a stable oc when the freaking vcore goes from 1.4v to nothing....I' am done, I attempt to recover some the loss and put it up on Craigslist for cheap.
Anyway/venting, anyone have any insight or experience with this motherboard ( GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 ) I would appreciate any feedback cause I'm at the the end of my rope dealing with Asus.

stncttr908
12-28-07, 01:20 AM
I have the previous model (GA-965P-DS3 v3.3) and it's solid.

mythy
12-28-07, 01:34 AM
did you use Vdamper? I have 0.01 Vdrop at most with my P5K Deluxe. maybe your board was busted lol :p Oh and you should know that is one of the very best P35 mobos out there. Its either busted (RMA) or your doing some thing wrong...

dxx
12-28-07, 07:48 AM
I'm on a 965G DS3, and I'm not impressed. Three bugs stand out with the board

1) If it's overclocked by more than around 10%, only two of the six SATA ports function

2) It doesn't work with Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM, suffering a BSOD during bootup. This is a fairly common problem with Gigabyte boards, Google has told me. The RAM has, of course, easily passed Memtest.

3) If onboard video and onboard audio is being used, processor-intensive tasks (like scrolling a window, loading apps, etc) cause crackling sounds.

For me, bug #2 is something of a show-stopper, seeing as how I upgraded to x64 purely because I needed access to 4GB of RAM (I'm a muso with apps that won't even load in 2GB). Running with 3GB of RAM just isn't quite the same.

Anyway, I find it hard to recommend Gigabyte. So I won't.

Fathertime36
12-28-07, 08:33 PM
I'm on a 965G DS3, and I'm not impressed. Three bugs stand out with the board

1) If it's overclocked by more than around 10%, only two of the six SATA ports function
???Okay so which ports work.....cause bar it stop detecting my drive mid os I' am not concerned

2) It doesn't work with Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM, suffering a BSOD during bootup. This is a fairly common problem with Gigabyte boards, Google has told me. The RAM has, of course, easily passed Memtest.
R: I loathe Vista, nothing personal to those who like it, I don't think I install it until I either absolutely have no choice or sp2 comes out for it

3) If onboard video and onboard audio is being used, processor-intensive tasks (like scrolling a window, loading apps, etc) cause crackling sounds.
R: I thought this board didn't have intergrated video.....and it has been a solid decade since I used any kind of onboard sound

For me, bug #2 is something of a show-stopper, seeing as how I upgraded to x64 purely because I needed access to 4GB of RAM (I'm a muso with apps that won't even load in 2GB). Running with 3GB of RAM just isn't quite the same.

Anyway, I find it hard to recommend Gigabyte. So I won't.
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion though.

Fathertime36
12-28-07, 08:42 PM
did you use Vdamper? I have 0.01 Vdrop at most with my P5K Deluxe. maybe your board was busted lol :p Oh and you should know that is one of the very best P35 mobos out there. Its either busted (RMA) or your doing some thing wrong...

The vdamper by what I have read actually works on the deluxe.....I think I forgot to mention the Asus mobo I' am running is the vanilla version straight up p5k with no bells and whistles, my bios has the vdamper setting but it does NOT work apparently, last board I bought was a MSI nf4 platinum sli, it was without a doubt flawless for stability and ocing other then lack of greater dramvoltage settings....I figured a modest Asus p5k would fit the bill...guess I assumed wrong, but it is not like I' am trying to set any records with it, I screwed up on choosing the c2d proc I have also, 7x multi sucks balls.

mythy
12-28-07, 08:58 PM
haha so what is that a 3 or 4 phase Vreg on that vanilla? ahahaha no wonder you have Vdrop :captnkill:

Fathertime36
12-28-07, 09:26 PM
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0&model=1637&modelmenu=1

mythy
12-28-07, 09:28 PM
http://usa.asus.com/999/images/products/1637/1637_l.jpg

It looks like 3 phase and thats just junk. If you want a better board grab a P5K-E or Deluxe (there both 8 phase)