PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling Newb

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

breathemetal
12-28-07, 01:41 PM
I know nothing about watercooling, so...fill me in :)

If and when i get a cosmos I think i may switch over to wc. What's the best? But I don't want to spend a ton. I'd like to keep it fairly affordable if I can.

As of right now, all I care about wcing is my cpu. But it would be nice if later on I could add stuff in to wc my gpu and hds and stuff. Is that possible without changing what i bought initially?

So what im asking for is:

Recommendations of a few good setups
(the best, and ones to avoid)
Plus i dont want to spend a lot
And i want something that i can add stuff too later on

LORD-eX-Bu
12-28-07, 01:59 PM
watercooling HDs is dumb IMO. It restricts your loop and there really is no benefit.

The best to buy would be a pre-built Koolance system, they outperform anything and are completely upgradeable.. way better than crap Swiftech or anything made by Thermochill or EK. Their blocks and radiators are a joke :headexplode:
Go with a thermochill radiator you fool, I wouldn't trust anthing else!! for fans I would recommend Yateloon D12sm-12 120x25mm fans. Apogee GTX or D-tek Fuzion cpu waterblock, tygon r-3606 tubing, swiftech mcp655 pump and a swiftech mcres-1000 reservoir. Mix 9 parts distilled water with 1 part pentosin g11 coolant for your fluid and watch your temps disappear n00b!!!!.

breathemetal
12-28-07, 02:02 PM
From everything Ive read Swiftech is really nice

LORD-eX-Bu
12-28-07, 02:06 PM
swiftech uses aluminum tops and plates em, they claim that it won't cause corrosion but its been proven otherwise. Their products suck, especially their pumps. Don't even get me started on their blocks... they can't compare to Koolance in any way. Koolance grabs em by the ears and gives it to them IDF and then IDB.

Koolance FTmFW!

breathemetal
12-28-07, 02:09 PM
Alright, so "set me up" a good koolance wc system if you could.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-28-07, 02:21 PM
I would difinately get Koolance Exos 2, if you get a kit it comes with everything you need. A cpu block, hard drive blocks, nb block and a gpu block. It is awesome.
HELL NO! DON'T BUY ANY OF THIS ****!! STICK WITH THERMOCHILL AND SWIFTECH!!! OH GOD NO MAY KOOLANCE AND ZALMAN BURN IN HELL!!
there really is only one water cooling system surperior to the Koolance setup, its the zalman resonat0r!!! With a name like that its got to kick ass! It is 3D Game man approved so its gotta be awesome :lol:

breathemetal
12-28-07, 02:22 PM
So what are you running all swiftech stuff?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-28-07, 02:24 PM
I got it before I knew better... believe me... save yourself the pain and hardship and go with a quality brand for your components, ask Xion X2, he knows all about it :rofl don't listen to this ****, highlight my other posts LOL!!

mythy
12-28-07, 02:32 PM
wtf are you teasing him for? :p

DUDE hes bull ****ing you!!!!

theres 2 types of water cooling setups. High flow and high pressure. Koolance uses high pleasure the majority uses high flow. It all depends on your needs and setup. Koolance has a GREAT cpu block out now that is on par with the GTX. They also have some decent triple rads for case integration. They even use some great pumps with custom heads if you buy just the pump from them. But if you want high flow look else where

breathemetal
Alright thanks!

Ill look into some Koolance products and that Zalman (it looks pretty sweet, but its a bit more than i would like to spend)

breathemetal
wtf are you teasing him for? :p

DUDE hes bull ****ing you!!!!

?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-28-07, 02:35 PM
obviously mythy is a Swiftech fanboy, you know how they are ;) listen to the man, he is right LOL!

mythy
12-28-07, 02:36 PM
wtf is the OP blind or just on crack? :p

breathemetal
12-28-07, 02:37 PM
crack? where?!

mythy
12-28-07, 02:38 PM
Highlight the text in the second post in this thread ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
12-28-07, 02:39 PM
wtf are you talking about :eek2:

breathemetal
12-28-07, 02:39 PM
hahaha my bad, i didnt even see that

LORD-eX-Bu
12-28-07, 02:41 PM
theres 2 types of water cooling setups. High flow and high pressure. Koolance uses high pleasure the majority uses high flow.

now thats my kind of water cooling setup :naughty:

another reason why K00lance is surperior IMO.

mythy
12-28-07, 02:44 PM
:D The question is "was that really a typo?" :naughty:

bacon12
12-28-07, 07:14 PM
Koolance uses high pleasure the majority uses high flow.

:wonder: I would go with a high pleasure setup myself..

Meh Lord beat me to it..

Dazz
12-31-07, 08:37 AM
Well i decided to order a Swiftech 220 Compact WC kit only has two parts makes easy to setup without having an eye sore ontop of the case, i have only ever had one water cooling kit which was the Koolance EXO AL which it's pump died on me a year ago so have been forced to use air cooling since then. The Swiftech will be my 2nd cooler also due to the high quaility cabling can take alot more punishment then the generic stuff with most kits and have coils to provent kinking which i had alot of problems with my Koolance kit i had before. Also Koolance EXO are pretty hard to bleed for changing coolent.

DiscipleDOC
12-31-07, 09:23 AM
If you want something that is pretty much worry free, then I would go with a freezone (http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=83). I've been using mine CoolIT system for almost a year, and I've had no problems whatsoever.

conroejoe
12-31-07, 09:42 AM
Koolance, Freezone... c'mon guys. Koolance is overpriced, uses mixed metals and tiny azz tubing, Freezone... well just please you might as well tell him to buy a Thermaltake water cooling setup, junk.

Goto www.petrastechshop.com or www.jab-tech.com. Get a Swiftech 655 or Danger Den D5 pump (they are the same), get a D-tek fuzion block for your CPU, best radiators are Thermochill but they aren't cheap so if you cannot swing one of those look at a dual swiftech for about $40. Get some Masterkleer tubing 1/2" ID tubing (clearflex stains fast and tygon is overpriced). Pickup some wormdrive clamps at a local hardware store or some zip ties to hold the tubing (wormdrive clamps preferred).

Later you can add a MCW60 GPU block to the mix which is compatible with any type of GPU and with new brackets should be pretty future proof. With a d5 you will have more than enough flow and the fuzion isn't restrictive.

If you don't believe me goto http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70 and ask around. These suggestions they gave you are the worst products on the market for cooling. I had 2 freezones die on me, I've tested Koolance and they are just garbage.

DiscipleDOC
12-31-07, 10:50 AM
Koolance, Freezone... c'mon guys. Koolance is overpriced, uses mixed metals and tiny azz tubing, Freezone... well just please you might as well tell him to buy a Thermaltake water cooling setup, junk.

Goto www.petrastechshop.com or www.jab-tech.com. Get a Swiftech 655 or Danger Den D5 pump (they are the same), get a D-tek fuzion block for your CPU, best radiators are Thermochill but they aren't cheap so if you cannot swing one of those look at a dual swiftech for about $40. Get some Masterkleer tubing 1/2" ID tubing (clearflex stains fast and tygon is overpriced). Pickup some wormdrive clamps at a local hardware store or some zip ties to hold the tubing (wormdrive clamps preferred).

Later you can add a MCW60 GPU block to the mix which is compatible with any type of GPU and with new brackets should be pretty future proof. With a d5 you will have more than enough flow and the fuzion isn't restrictive.

If you don't believe me goto http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70 and ask around. These suggestions they gave you are the worst products on the market for cooling. I had 2 freezones die on me, I've tested Koolance and they are just garbage.
Have you ever tried a freezone system? HTH can you call something junk and NEVER tried it? I have one in my systems, and I can tell you that it's not "junk".

Dazz
12-31-07, 11:44 AM
One thing i hate about koolance is most of their products are 6mm tubing so although you have high pressure you will find the water heats up quickly and takes longer to cool down which also needs to be refilled more often as the water evaprates and gets asorbed by the tubing. With high flow you need a powerful pump more there is more area to take heat and can remain in the Radiator/reservoir for longer to cool down. For the time being i am not adding any gfx cards to the loop but am considering watercooling the NF680i but may not due to it not supporting yorkfield and will do that with my next board.