PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SATA DVD-RAM

robvoip
12-28-07, 01:57 PM
Hi Guys,

I am going nuts trying to figure this out, i posted this in the mobo forum as well.

I just put together a new system:

Athlon 64 X2 5600
M2N-E mobo
2G DDR 2 800 mhz
8800 GT OC
LG SATA DVD writer 18X
Soundblaster X-FI xtreme audio
2 120 GIGs IDE 7200 RPM HD (from my old system)

This mobo only has 1 IDE connector, so i used my 2 HD for this. The DVD writer is the only device using a SATA connection. The DVD writer does not read at all, i had to use another IDE writer from my old system to install a fresh copy of windows XP (disconnected 1 HD and used the writer as a slave). Anyhow, after the install the system finds the SATA drive but it refuses to read any CD/DVD i put into it.

All drivers are up to date, i also checked my cables. I tried searching, but couldnt find anything related to my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

nekrosoft13
12-28-07, 02:09 PM
AHCI disabled? not sure if that board has AHCI, but that the first thing to check.

also when it comes to SATA Optical drives, always plug them in northbridge sata port, never plug it in SIS, VIA, Silicon Image etc.. additional ports

robvoip
12-28-07, 02:15 PM
AHCI disabled? not sure if that board has AHCI, but that the first thing to check.

also when it comes to SATA Optical drives, always plug them in northbridge sata port, never plug it in SIS, VIA, Silicon Image etc.. additional ports

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The board does not have ACHI. All sata ports are nforce 570 ultra mcp. I am going to smash this PC to bits, its been 20+ hrs and i cant figure this out.

lduguay
12-28-07, 02:21 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your response. The board does not have ACHI. All sata ports are nforce 570 ultra mcp. I am going to smash this PC to bits, its been 20+ hrs and i cant figure this out.
Before you destroy your PC, are you sure your SATA DVD is working? Tried on another PC?

robvoip
12-28-07, 02:22 PM
Before you destroy your PC, are you sure your SATA DVD is working? Tried on another PC?

My other PC's have no SATA support. XP finds the drive and it boots up properly. Its just not reading any media format.

lduguay
12-28-07, 02:25 PM
My other PC's have no SATA support. XP finds the drive and it boots up properly. Its just not reading any media format.
I vote for a borked drive.

nekrosoft13
12-28-07, 02:30 PM
do you have ! mark in device manger?

if you do then then most likelly you have some bad lower or upper filters installed.

robvoip
12-28-07, 02:54 PM
do you have ! mark in device manger?

if you do then then most likelly you have some bad lower or upper filters installed.
Nope. No problems with the drive in device manager.

crainger
12-28-07, 04:06 PM
Usually if Windows detects the drive and doesn't list any issues in device manager, but wont read that's a faulty drive.