PDA

View Full Version : I need a specific speed of PC 3200 DDR...

Madpistol
12-28-07, 09:31 PM
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 (as listed per my sig) and I'm trying to make it gaming worthy for my Girlfriend. Here's the problem that I have.

I currently have 4 sticks of 512mb PC 3200 (400 mhz) memory in my system. It runs ok... but the problem is that it's not running at the full 400mhz. CPU-Z says the ram is running @ 159.6 mhz, and it has me really perplexed... it should be running at 200mhz. So I've finally figured out what the problem is... Two of the sticks have loser timings at default than the others, and since the bios on dell computers is locked, I have no control over how lose or tight the timings are on all the sticks... Therefore, the bios is basically downclocking all 4 sticks so that they can all have the tighter timings... :headexplode:

Bottom line: I need 2 x 512mb PC 3200 sticks of ram that are specified for 2.5-3-3-8 ram timings. I've already looked at newegg.com, and they have nothing that meets these requirements.

So, I need some help. Is there anyone who has 2 sticks of ram that they'd be willing to sell to me for around $50 or less? If not, does anyone know of an online e-tailer that has some memory that meets those specs.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. ;)

BTW, the game we're trying to run is Team Fortress 2. The frame rates in complex areas are almost unplayable.

EDIT: I've also posted this in the Buy/Sell forum. PM me if you have some sticks of ram you're willing to sell :)

Madpistol
12-28-07, 10:52 PM
UPDATE!!!

I've removed 2 sticks of ram, so I'm now running 1GB total. It has set the memory clock back at 200mhz (400mhz effective) and the timings are 2.5-3-3-8. After a brief test on team fortress 2, I believe performance has improved dramatically. 32 and 24 man servers no longer drop into unplayable framerates, and thus, the experience is much much better.

I'd still like to get the memory up to 2 GB of ram though. The 2 sticks I have in my computer are Patriot 2 x 512 mb PC3200 2.5-3-3-8. If you know of a place I can find some of those sticks, please let me know. :)

CaptNKILL
12-28-07, 11:05 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that the ram speed had such an effect on performance.

I'll check some of my usual stores to see if they carry anything like that.

EDIT: How about this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220027

Patriot PC-3200 CAS 2.5

Not sure about the other latencies but usually the CAS latency is what's important.

t3hl33td4rg0n
12-29-07, 02:28 AM
My corsair CMX 1GB can do 2-3-3-6 at 2.7v without issue.

I think the model number is CMX512-3200C2PT.

I have 2 of them in dual channel mode.

Madpistol
12-29-07, 10:38 AM
I've looked through ebay and everywhere I can think to look, and I haven't found anything that I can be certain is the same as what I've got... I guess I give up. There's no point in spending money on something that I'm not certain it's the right stuff. I've waited too long to fix this problem... :(

THIS is the reason why I will never buy Dell's desktop computers again... They're impossible to customize ANYTHING on them, and if you mix and match components, the computer absolutely screws you in the worst way possible.

Oh well... thanks for the input.

Tuningmaster
12-29-07, 11:21 AM
I've looked through ebay and everywhere I can think to look, and I haven't found anything that I can be certain is the same as what I've got... I guess I give up. There's no point in spending money on something that I'm not certain it's the right stuff. I've waited too long to fix this problem... :(

THIS is the reason why I will never buy Dell's desktop computers again... They're impossible to customize ANYTHING on them, and if you mix and match components, the computer absolutely screws you in the worst way possible.

Oh well... thanks for the input.

Dude just get the ram that CaptainKill linked you to. It will work just fine.

Madpistol
12-29-07, 11:59 AM
Dude just get the ram that CaptainKill linked you to. It will work just fine.

The problem is I don't want to spend $50 on 2 sticks of the stuff if I'm not sure that it's EXACTLY the same memory. If the memory is slightly off, the ram will downclock... I hate dells. :(

Madpistol
12-29-07, 01:58 PM
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a couple of those patriot sticks like CaptNkill suggested. If they aren't what I need, I'll post them in the sell/trade forum.

I'll post back when I get and test those sticks.

CaptNKILL
12-29-07, 02:08 PM
I really think that'll work for you man.

Good luck. :)

Tuningmaster
12-29-07, 04:11 PM
The problem is I don't want to spend $50 on 2 sticks of the stuff if I'm not sure that it's EXACTLY the same memory. If the memory is slightly off, the ram will downclock... I hate dells. :(

The ram will only downclock if the Case Latency is different. You said yourself that your current ram was 2.5 case latency so it will work perfect with what captnkill linked you to.

I used to have a dell, I know. ;)

Madpistol
12-29-07, 10:26 PM
The ram will only downclock if the Case Latency is different. You said yourself that your current ram was 2.5 case latency so it will work perfect with what captnkill linked you to.

I used to have a dell, I know. ;)

Good to know. Have you bought a dell since? ;)

Tuningmaster
12-30-07, 07:41 AM
Good to know. Have you bought a dell since? ;)

LOL no way man. I have been building for a few years now and the only dell in this house is my wifes laptop.

Madpistol
12-30-07, 10:16 AM
Yea... Dell doesn't seem to get much repeat business in the computer enthusiast world. :p

Madpistol
01-11-08, 11:11 PM
Ok, I got the ram, and as far as I can tell, the memory is working fine. Not too much of a performance leap, but it's doable. At least the memory is running @ 400mhz now and not a measly 310mhz like it was. The only think I wish I could tamper with is the timings. It's like 2.5-4-4-8 or something stupid like that.

Gah... I hate dells. :headexplode:

Anyway, thanks for the link to the ram CaptNKILL. It's working great. :D