PDA

View Full Version : I need a special type of DDR memory...

Madpistol
12-28-07, 08:34 PM
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 (as listed per my sig) and I'm trying to make it gaming worthy for my Girlfriend. Here's the problem that I have.

I currently have 4 sticks of 512mb PC 3200 (400 mhz) memory in my system. It runs ok... but the problem is that it's not running at the full 400mhz. CPU-Z says the ram is running @ 159.6 mhz, and it has me really perplexed... it should be running at 200mhz. So I've finally figured out what the problem is... Two of the sticks have loser timings at default than the others, and since the bios on dell computers is locked, I have no control over how lose or tight the timings are on all the sticks... Therefore, the bios is basically downclocking all 4 sticks so that they can all have the tighter timings...

Bottom line: I need 2 x 512mb PC 3200 sticks of ram that are specified for 2.5-3-3-8 ram timings. I've already looked at newegg.com, and they have nothing that meets these requirements.

So, I need some help. Is there anyone who has 2 sticks of ram that they'd be willing to sell to me for around $50 or less? If not, does anyone know of an online e-tailer that has some memory that meets those specs.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Please PM if you have some sticks you're willing to sell.

BTW, the game we're trying to run is Team Fortress 2. The frame rates in complex areas are almost unplayable.

Madpistol
12-28-07, 09:51 PM
UPDATE!!!

I've removed 2 sticks of ram, so I'm now running 1GB total. It has set the memory clock back at 200mhz (400mhz effective) and the timings are 2.5-3-3-8. After a brief test on team fortress 2, I believe performance has improved dramatically. 32 and 24 man servers no longer drop into unplayable framerates, and thus, the experience is much much better.

I'd still like to get the memory up to 2 GB of ram though. The 2 sticks I have in my computer are Patriot 2 x 512 mb PC3200 2.5-3-3-8. If you know of a place I can find some of those sticks, please let me know. :)

CaptNKILL
12-28-07, 10:43 PM
No need to double post man.

We don't generally allow any "want to buy" threads in here anyways.

I'll leave it for now, just in case, but check out your other thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1499288#post1499288

I posted a suggestion.

Madpistol
12-29-07, 12:16 AM
k. Don't worry about it... I just didn't know where to post. Sorry.

EDIT: Sorry, just read through rules of this area of this forum... Mod can close this thread.