PDA

View Full Version : BIOS and Memory Timing Questions

zerobeta
12-29-07, 12:27 PM
Hello

I have a few questions

I am using a new computer with a P5E motherboard, using 0107 BIOS (the one that came with the MB)

I am using this (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_revision_2) memory kit in dual channel.

I looked in the BIOS default values, changed some values like onboard things, nothing OC related, left all the other things as they were.

I noticed CPU-Z reports my memory frequency @ 401MHz (I suppose it shows the real frequency and therefor it does not show 800MHz, but 400MHz?)
And the latency values are 5-5-5-15.
Since the OCZ site reports this model @ 4-4-4-15, I set these values instead of the 5-5-5, but then windows wont load. Any idea what is the problem?

Here are the names, all were set to Auto, 5-5-5 (default, auto - works) (4-4-4 does not work)
Any idea why?

CAS Latency 5 (default)
RAS to CAS Delay 5 (default)
RAS Precharge 5 (default)
RAS Active Time 15 (default)
RAS to RAS Delay Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time Auto
Write Recovery Time Auto
Write to Read Delay Auto
Read to Precharge Time Auto

-----------------------------

Another weird thing, after I change any value in the BIOS, sometimes it will save and exit and load windows. But sometimes, after exiting the BIOS, the computer will immediately shut down, and after a few seconds it will start itself and load windows... any idea what is causing this?

-----------------------------

And last question, for some reason, I cant change the memory voltage and CPU voltage, I do not want to do so, just wanted to see the default values and the options. I set the setting to Manual but I still cant change those values, what do I need to set so I will be able to change the voltage values?

Many thanks.

Revs
12-29-07, 12:33 PM
Had the same RAM in my machine a few months ago. It needs to run at at-least 2.0v. What's your mobo setting it to?

Also if you are only using the two sticks you should set it to the 4-4-4-15 timings. I wouldn't use cpu-z to look at RAM timings either.

zerobeta
12-29-07, 03:07 PM
well, I wanted to check the voltage, but in the BIOS I can't press enter to see whats it set at, I am not sure why... it sets it as Auto and I can't press enter to check. or set a value.

Also when setting the timings to 4-4-4-15 instead of 5-5-5-15, I can't load windows.

JaxMacFL
12-31-07, 10:51 AM
well, I wanted to check the voltage, but in the BIOS I can't press enter to see whats it set at, I am not sure why... it sets it as Auto and I can't press enter to check. or set a value.

Also when setting the timings to 4-4-4-15 instead of 5-5-5-15, I can't load windows.

On the newer Asus boards (mine included) you actually have to typed in the voltage you want; (i.e. 2.0) then hit enter. To go back to auto; high light, type 'auto' and press enter.

zerobeta
12-31-07, 12:08 PM
Well in that case, how do I know what is the default value?

Also anyone has an idea about my other questions? In first post.

JaxMacFL
12-31-07, 03:00 PM
Well in that case, how do I know what is the default value? ...

You can always reset bios to mb default settings thru the bios, but general rule of thumb is: default = auto. Your ram should have the voltage stamped on it.

zerobeta
12-31-07, 03:28 PM
which is 1.9V-2.1V

Perhaps the default value is 1.9V, and it needs 2.0V in order to work @ 4-4-4 timings?

Revs
12-31-07, 03:38 PM
I think the default on DDR2 is 1.85v. You should set it to whatever OCZ says it should be. That RAM is 2.1v +/- 5% I think, so anywhere from 2.0 to 2.2v should be fine. I would set it on the low side though, ie, 2.0 to 2.1v.

Use the propper timings unless you are OCing or have more than 2 sticks or RAM.

zerobeta
12-31-07, 05:49 PM
Will try that, thanks for the help.

Update: 4-4-4-15 timings work now, it seems the memory needed a voltage of 2.00 as a minimum. In case I will add 2 more (total of 4 x 1gb), shall I set the timings to a higher value (5-5-5-15 instead of 4-4-4-15) ?

Any idea what is the default value of the CPU voltage for this MB?

And, last thing: after I change any value in the BIOS, sometimes it will save and exit and load windows. But sometimes, after exiting the BIOS, the computer will immediately shut down, and after a few seconds it will start itself and load windows... any idea what is causing this?
If no one knows I will try in another place, but you think its BIOS, MB related or something else?

Thanks for the replies.

JaxMacFL
01-01-08, 10:10 AM
Will try that, thanks for the help.

....Any idea what is the default value of the CPU voltage for this MB?

And, last thing: after I change any value in the BIOS, sometimes it will save and exit and load windows. But sometimes, after exiting the BIOS, the computer will immediately shut down, and after a few seconds it will start itself and load windows... any idea what is causing this?
If no one knows I will try in another place, but you think its BIOS, MB related or something else?

Thanks for the replies.

The manufacturer of your cpu will list the voltage on their web site. If you don't trust 'Auto', then look it up and type it in.

The only circumstances in which windows will load immediately after exiting cmos is when no changes have been made to the bios.

zerobeta
01-01-08, 11:23 AM
I never had this problem, wether I changed or did not change anything in BIOS in my older computer.

Sometimes, after exiting the BIOS, the computer will be shut off, and then be turned back on... just wanted to know if this is the way its supposed to be?

JaxMacFL
01-01-08, 05:15 PM
I never had this problem, wether I changed or did not change anything in BIOS in my older computer.

Sometimes, after exiting the BIOS, the computer will be shut off, and then be turned back on... just wanted to know if this is the way its supposed to be?

That is normally what happens after a change is made in the bios. If one enters cmos and doesn't make a change to any setting in the bios, then the boot up would continue at the point of entrance to the cmos from regular boot up.

zerobeta
01-02-08, 04:27 AM
ok then I shouldn't worry about this.

Although when I did not change anything in the BIOS, it was shut down and turned on, and at another time, again I entered BIOS and did not change anything, and then it did not shut down, but I guess I shouldn't be worried, thanks :)

Zapablast05
01-02-08, 04:45 AM
DDR2 800 = 400MHz. 800 is the chip speed, 400 is the clock speed. It's always half of what it is. So DDR2 1000 is 500MHz, and so on.