PDA

View Full Version : CPU-Z is wrong!

Pages : [1] 2

DiscipleDOC
12-31-07, 01:52 AM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/940/desktop123007gr2.jpg
Why is CPU-Z misreading my cpu? My multiplier will go from "6" to "9". Actually, it's not just CPU-Z.....my system is mis-reading my CPU. If you look at the system info on the right, it's showing the wrong clock for my CPU as well.

Any reason why?

CaptNKILL
12-31-07, 01:59 AM
Speedstep probably.

There are a few different settings in the BIOS that will downclock your CPU when its idle to save power.

I can't remember all the names though. C1E, speedstep... and a few others.

jAkUp
12-31-07, 02:02 AM
Yup, disable those in the BIOS, they are powersaving features.

jAkUp
12-31-07, 02:04 AM
Also, what gadget is that in the top right? The one that shows the +12v rating and CPU temp?

Redeemed
12-31-07, 02:07 AM
LAWL.

My Opty might trail behind your CPU... but atleast oc'ing is a lot more simple. :D

No SpeedStep, no C1E, and non of that other none-sense... at the sacrifice of not having ultimate top notch performance! :cry:

Heck, my rig at stock played through the first third of Crysis at 1280x800, 4xAA, 16xAF, GCAA, MSTAA, and all in-game options on "high". Then it just started dipping into the teens (about when I got to the aliens).

So, in short, it only remained playable if I dropped everything to "medium", no AA, no AF, no GCAA, no MSTAA, and resolution still at 1280x800. Now, with the new OC (2.9 on CPU, 600/1600/1800 on vid card) I've yet to try. Gotta' finish EP2 first though! :p

CaptNKILL
12-31-07, 02:14 AM
LAWL.

My Opty might trail behind your CPU... but atleast oc'ing is a lot more simple. :D

No SpeedStep, no C1E, and non of that other none-sense... at the sacrifice of not having ultimate top notch performance! :cry:

Heck, my rig at stock played through the first third of Crysis at 1280x800, 4xAA, 16xAF, GCAA, MSTAA, and all in-game options on "high". Then it just started dipping into the teens (about when I got to the aliens).

So, in short, it only remained playable if I dropped everything to "medium", no AA, no AF, no GCAA, no MSTAA, and resolution still at 1280x800. Now, with the new OC (2.9 on CPU, 600/1600/1800 on vid card) I've yet to try. Gotta' finish EP2 first though! :p
:lol:

SpeedStep and C1E are not bad. They save power and make the CPU run cooler. People generally turn them off when they overclock so they can maximize performance.

As for being simpler... Intel doesn't have HT multipliers or memory dividers to worry about.

Redeemed
12-31-07, 02:25 AM

SpeedStep and C1E are not bad. They save power and make the CPU run cooler. People generally turn them off when they overclock so they can maximize performance.

As for being simpler... Intel doesn't have HT multipliers or memory dividers to worry about.

I never worry about 'em. Just set it to "Auto". Probably not the most effective, but it does work. :p

a12ctic
12-31-07, 02:32 AM

cool and quiet? amd has these features too, they just have different names... Also, the HT multipliers never seemed so complicated to me, and I've always viewed memory dividers as a good thing?

Redeemed
12-31-07, 02:33 AM
cool and quiet? amd has these features too, they just have different names... Also, the HT multipliers never seemed so complicated to me, and I've always viewed memory dividers as a good thing?
By default cool and quiet is usually off- atleast from my experience.

CaptNKILL
12-31-07, 03:23 AM
That's right, I forgot about Cool and Quiet. I knew AMD had a Speedstep equivalent I just couldn't remember the name.

And I wasn't arguing that HT multipliers and memory dividers were good or bad... I was just pointing them out to redeemed... but... Gah... what do you do, just lurk the forums looking for a good place to start an argument about AMD or Linux?

God damn dude... :p

DiscipleDOC
12-31-07, 07:01 AM
lol at the photo in the sidebar :D
Stop hating! ::p:

sammy sung
12-31-07, 07:48 AM

sytaylor
12-31-07, 08:10 AM
DD is like a Mr T you can believe in.

Airbrushkid
12-31-07, 10:09 AM
Hey thats his boy toy so leave him alone with him. Hahaha

ViN86
12-31-07, 11:36 AM
FYI, you dont have to worry about blocking your IP when youre behind a router.

no one can find you based off of a 192.168.xxx.xxx IP :p

also, as jAkUp said, what is that tool in the upper right that gives temps and voltages?

stncttr908
12-31-07, 02:03 PM
I leave it on. Why have my computer sucking up even more power at idle?

methimpikehoses
12-31-07, 03:00 PM

Thanks for pointing that out.

fap fap fap fap

DiscipleDOC
01-01-08, 03:23 PM
Also, what gadget is that in the top right? The one that shows the +12v rating and CPU temp?
It's called speedfan meter (http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=12219)

amk21
01-01-08, 06:56 PM
Hey thats his boy toy so leave him alone with him. Hahaha

Do I smell a hint of jealousy :nanahump:

CaptNKILL
01-01-08, 07:14 PM
It can actually create performance problems some times when the CPU load isn't consistent.

Cool & Quiet was the same way.

Airbrushkid
01-01-08, 09:35 PM
Jealous of what? I'm straight!

Do I smell a hint of jealousy :nanahump:

Xion X2
01-01-08, 11:45 PM
Disable C1E Halt Mode in your BIOS. That should take care of it.

And don't count on CPU-Z to read everything reliably. Especially the vCore on your CPU when you're overclocking. These are simple programs that are often written by freelance programmers and have their flaws.

3NZ0
01-02-08, 01:33 PM
I leave mine on as well, there's no point in having your pc sucking more juice than it needs to at idle.
If it's causing problems then there is a problem with your hardware as it shouldn't cause any.

I also like speedsteps ninja power ability

*friend at a lan looks at the clock reading on the sidebar*
'ha, 2.6ghz, pathetic overclock'
*fires up an application for 3.8ghz goodness*
':headexplode: '

:D

ViN86
01-02-08, 01:50 PM
It's called speedfan meter (http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=12219)
man i hope speedfan added support for DFI boards.

DiscipleDOC
01-02-08, 03:09 PM
Disable C1E Halt Mode in your BIOS. That should take care of it.

And don't count on CPU-Z to read everything reliably. Especially the vCore on your CPU when you're overclocking. These are simple programs that are often written by freelance programmers and have their flaws.
Thanks. I did that and it's working properly. :thumbsup: