PDA

View Full Version : Tweak SLI on Vista x64

Digital_Trans
01-01-08, 01:39 AM
Can anyone who uses SLI on a Windows Vista x64 platform please share any suggestions on tweaking out SLI for performance gains? There has to be some cool settings or tweaks I've not even heard of that you could share.

K007
01-01-08, 02:32 AM
Well..i guess the obvious is the KB/Drivers patches..but if you have SLI its a waste of time to bother with Vista32 or 64..its terrible in 32..and it is worse in 64. Vista seems ok with Single GPU systems, as in on par with XP but with SLI its a hit and a miss..and even the hit doesn't do a 100% job compared to XP..if you want to make the max potential of your rig..go XP, otherwise stick to a Single GPU for Vista.

Slammin
01-01-08, 01:20 PM
Well..i guess the obvious is the KB/Drivers patches..but if you have SLI its a waste of time to bother with Vista32 or 64..its terrible in 32..and it is worse in 64. Vista seems ok with Single GPU systems, as in on par with XP but with SLI its a hit and a miss..and even the hit doesn't do a 100% job compared to XP..if you want to make the max potential of your rig..go XP, otherwise stick to a Single GPU for Vista.

And you know all this from what?

Dreamingawake
01-01-08, 01:49 PM
He's right. At least for the time being, until patches, service packs, and drivers are all updated for Vista, XP performs better.

He probably knows from personal experience, as that has also been my experience as well.

amk21
01-01-08, 09:08 PM
yep yep yep><><

Digital_Trans
01-03-08, 01:22 AM
I'm really starting to think about it! Vista does suck from my own personal gaming experience this so far. And not even SLI can save it! I'm sure Windows XP X64 is better.

spajdr
01-03-08, 01:35 AM
Vista 32&64bit SLI performance is great, BUT it depends what cards you use, G80/G92 cards dont have any problems, its important to use all hotfixes or just install SP1 RC1 and it rocks totally :) I would say that Vista 64bit SLI performance is little higher over 32bit SLI (for example Crysis runs little faster). And about some tweaks, im not sure if there any, its fast as hell already anyway for me (except Crysis on very high lol)

Slammin
01-03-08, 01:51 AM
He's right. At least for the time being, until patches, service packs, and drivers are all updated for Vista, XP performs better.

He probably knows from personal experience, as that has also been my experience as well.

No offense K007, but your sig:

VGA:Leadtek 7950GX2 1024MB
Motherboard:ASUS A8N-SLI-PREMIUM (1302 Bios)
Memory:Corsair 2.0 GB TWINX-3200C2 (400MHz) 2-3-3-6
HDD1:Seagate SATAII 320G 7200 16M
HDD2:Seagate SATAII 320G 7200 16M
CPU:AMD Athlon64 3700+(2.2GHz 1MB 939)
PSU:Thermaltake Toughpower 750W

And we all know how many issues 7950GX2 owners have with Vista and Sli, or lack of Sli support for that card. Then, consider your CPU. It's a fact that Vista does much worse compared to XP on lower end hardware. Yep, Vista uses more resources than XP. This shouldn't surprise anyone since that has always been the case when MS introduced a new OS.

So, it's not that your statements are false, K007, it's just they are not entirely accurate outside of your own setup. You also imply that Sli can be actually slower than single-card. I've never run into that.

As for tweaks, I just defrag on a regular basis. I haven't even trimmed down services on this install, and probably won't even bother this time.

Bokishi
01-03-08, 01:54 AM
SLI is great in Vista. FEAR even ran faster than it did in XP