PDA

View Full Version : 7950 gx2 on PclinuxOS

agapetos
01-02-08, 02:27 PM
Hi guys, this is a cool forum and a life saver for someone who finally have chosen to enter the linux world.....

I am having ahell of a time figuring out how to install the Invidia drivers for PClinusOS.

Basically I need to shut down the X server and have searched the web quite a bit and have found little help. I have the latest version Gnome.

Any help would be VERY appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot!!

bacon12
01-02-08, 07:10 PM
They are ready to go compiled rpms, and in the repos. Search for DKMS nVidia several ones will show up.

Choose the 100.x module rpm, and install it as you normally would any package via synaptic.

There is a script you need to ok to restart X and it will then load the module. If you are successful then you will see the nVidia splash screen.

*** If you have installed previous drivers you need to completely remove them before hand. ***

Tooth_DeKay
01-02-08, 08:17 PM
I have a 7950GX2 and run Ubuntu 7.10.
In Ubuntu all you need to do is goto the restricted drivers app and turn it on.
Works great and you don't even need to think about it.

Prior to that I was patching the kernel with the official nVidia drivers as they where the only ones that supported the 7950GX2.

This page has the instructions on how to go about that if you want to give it a go.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.07.html

If you are not too worried about screwing up your install, I would give it a go just to see if you can do it. When you get it working you will have a real feeling of achievement.
And if it stuffes up, just install Ubuntu and go from there.

agapetos
01-02-08, 11:01 PM
I did all kinds of attempts and then someone helped me to
install from drivers already available in Gnome. The something 100.xx
needed to be installed and the utility did it beautifully. Thanks for the replys and the help.