PDA

View Full Version : "CPU Limited or CPU Bottleneck"

DRen72
01-03-08, 11:55 AM
For months and months when I had my AMD 4800X2 CPU I kept reading about games being CPU limited even though I had an 8800GTX. Since I game at 1920x1200 all the time, I figured that for the most part upgrading to a QX9650 would not make much difference in any game I played and for 90% of the games I've played that is true. No difference!

However, I ran across one recently that did make a noticeable difference. I picked up World in Conflict last fall before my upgrade and installed it on my older AMD rig and it ran rather badly, however, with the QX9650 DDR3 setup (same 8800 GTX though) the game runs no less than 23 fps and thats only rarely. On average fully maxed out, I'm seeing 40-45 fps in this game. Previously it dipped to around 6 fps. Again, I didn't get the QX9650 for games, but for video rendering, but finding this boost in WIC was a nice surprise.

So, while I still subscribe to the belief that a CPU upgrade will not give you jack in games if you already have a high end graphics card, apparently there are at least a few exceptions. What are some more?

Some examples of other games where the CPU upgrade made no difference whatsoever...

The Witcher
FEAR + expansions
Crysis (ok, maybe a slight boost here)
Hellgate London
UT3

mythy
01-03-08, 11:59 AM
SCFA

DRen72
01-03-08, 12:08 PM
SCFA
Yeh, Supreme Commander. Another RTS. Maybe RTS games like CPU power. Any more?

methimpikehoses
01-03-08, 12:15 PM
I noticed improvements in DiRT and FSX.

STALKER??

CaptNKILL
01-03-08, 03:16 PM
Anything that uses a lot of physics or AI or has very complex scenes had a big boost on my system when I went from a 2.5Ghz X2 to a 3.6Ghz Core 2.

Oblivion (cities)
STALKER
Dark Messiah (HUGE increase in some levels in this game... from 25-30 to 85 pegged with vsync)
Red Orchestra (some of the large maps slowed down quite a bit on my old system when tanks were battling... now its perfectly smooth)
DoD:S, Gary's Mod, Insurgency, and just about everything else on the Source engine has completely smoothed out since I upgraded my CPU. Unless I do something really excessive in gary's mod, everything runs at 70-85fps at any resolution.

Yaboze
01-03-08, 04:10 PM
Sounds crazy but, in WoW, I went from a similar X2 setup to a E6850 C2D and in Shattrath, a busy, graphic intensive city in the game, my frame rates increased dramatically at 1920x1200.

In the interior areas, I would pull 60FPS, sure, but the outer areas would be 25-35, now, outer areas are a minium of 45-55FPS with more areas reaching 60FPS all the time.

So in WoW, it helped with that notoriously laggy area of the game.

Bman212121
01-03-08, 04:55 PM
Sounds crazy but, in WoW, I went from a similar X2 setup to a E6850 C2D and in Shattrath, a busy, graphic intensive city in the game, my frame rates increased dramatically at 1920x1200.

In the interior areas, I would pull 60FPS, sure, but the outer areas would be 25-35, now, outer areas are a minium of 45-55FPS with more areas reaching 60FPS all the time.

I can fully understand that as well. It looks like 2 moons is in the same boat. I can run without issues with my rig anywhere but in the highly populated areas. I'm betting a faster processor would fix the issue.

@the op: Another game that IMO you would notice a difference in is UT3. I can peg both of my cores and watch the frames dip here and there. I can't wait for the Q9450s to come out so I can update for WiC, and a few other games.

Dazz
01-03-08, 07:03 PM
RTS's make the most use of the CPU's due to the AI and pathfinding for the hundreds of units that need to get there each one has it's own path to follow. Which is why at the moment they are still a bit clumsy but Supreme Commander is not, but then again that can use upto 4 processors

Tr1cK
01-03-08, 07:08 PM

WoW is very system intensive. It benefits most from CPU, RAM, and hard drive speed. All it needs is about a Radeon 9700 to run fast.

DRen72
01-04-08, 07:36 PM
What about a game like Armed Assault, or is that too much like a FPS rather than an RTS?

$n][pErMan
01-04-08, 09:26 PM
Both WiC and Sup Com benifited greatly when I went Quad from Dual :) Both run flawless at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out.