PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered an Asus Striker II Formula

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Revs
01-03-08, 04:13 PM
I have no idea if i've done the right thing :o but i've just ordered myself a Striker Formula II 780i from Scan.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=610&l4=0&model=2016&modelmenu=1

I'm planning to get one of the cheaper Yorkfields when they are released and I had a few quid burning a hole in my pocket so I thought **** it and went for it. 192 inc VAT (I know, cheap init :o ).

Anyhoo it's due on the 8th so not long to go. I wonder if it'll be better with my current E6600 too :p

It's got a few new features over my current mobo. Obviously 45nm quad support, 2 phase memory power, 1600FSB support, an external BIOS reset and a host of tweaks to things like the sound card, etc.

It's also got a few really good little features like GPU temp monitoring, voltiminder LED, loadline calibration, and a thing called CPU Level Up, which has pre-configured profiles for CPUs. Good for OC n00bs I guess.

So, yes... let the flaming begin :firedevil :D

DiscipleDOC
01-03-08, 04:22 PM
Will this motherboard support 45 nm quads?

Revs
01-03-08, 04:32 PM
Yup. Including the up-coming QX9770 with 1600 FSB. I'll let y'all know how it goes and take some pics when I get it. I wish I could afford a QX9750 but i've no chance :o , nor could I justify 600 on a CPU.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-03-08, 05:08 PM
may God have mercy upon your soul :headexplode:

crainger
01-03-08, 05:33 PM
may God have mercy upon your soul :headexplode:

I was thinking the same thing. I mean nvidia chipsets are bad enough, but ASUS as well. Insane! ::bleh::

grey_1
01-03-08, 05:34 PM
Best of luck with it man - I'm jealous that you can even afford that thing! :p

Revs
01-03-08, 05:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I mean nvidia chipsets are bad enough, but ASUS as well. Insane! ::bleh::

My Striker has done me proud. It's been totally stable for a year. It's just totally cacapoopoo with quads.

I thought about waiting for the 790i as it's a more major overhaul but DDR3 prices, well, nuff said. I love Intel chipsets but I love SLI moar :D

When/if Intel go SLI i'll be on it like horny dawg. A dude over at xtreme has one at 450Mhz FSB with a QX9650. A Wolfdale should allow even higher clocks.

crainger
01-03-08, 05:51 PM
I like SLI too. Hence the 650i board. ::D:

Revs
01-03-08, 05:55 PM
I tried an Abit IN9-32X Max WiFi but I just didn't like it. My mate has one though and he loves it.... regularly ;)

breathemetal
01-03-08, 08:41 PM
I love my 680 :)

LORD-eX-Bu
01-03-08, 08:44 PM
I think my second 680i may be starting to go :lol:

breathemetal
01-03-08, 08:59 PM
i havent had one problem with mine yet

Amuro
01-03-08, 09:44 PM
I'll be buying this board as soon as my local distributor has them. I already have a QX9650 sitting here waiting. I might get the P5N-T Deluxe if it comes out first.

Revs
01-09-08, 10:18 AM
Was supposed to receive the mobo today but I just received an email saying it's been delayed until the 15th :(

I hate waiting :o

LORD-eX-Bu
01-09-08, 10:20 AM
now I know my second 680i is on its deathbed :headexplode:

Revs
01-09-08, 10:26 AM
Wanna buy a Striker Extreme??? :D

LORD-eX-Bu
01-09-08, 10:31 AM
:headexplode:

Revs
01-09-08, 10:31 AM
:udawg:

Amuro
01-09-08, 08:44 PM
I'm not so sure if I still want an Asus 780i board any more. The Strike II Formula is nowhere to be seen. The P5N-T Deluxe is out but has tons of issues, Vista BSODs, Yorkfield support issues, etc. I checked Asus' site and find out that only the 1.02G PCB rev. supports 45nm quads, so you'd better make sure you receive one with the lastest PCB.

Revs
01-10-08, 02:38 PM
The last couple of days i've been thinking about the temps i'm gonna be getting with an overclocked Q6600 and decided to go for a watercooling setup. Never had anything to do with watercooling before, so I did a search and found some good advice here at NVN.

XION X2 recommended a Swiftech H2O kit for Atojar, so I looked in to it and decided to go for the Swiftech H20 120 Compact Kit. It's a bit smaller but it's more within my budget and should fit in my case. It gets very good reviews on the site I got it from and should cope fine with my set up.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-028-SW&tool=3

So I guess what i'm saying is cheers to XION X2 :cool:

The cooler is due tomorrow and the rest of the bits on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

Hopefully I won't be shat on by the BIOS :o

Revs
01-10-08, 02:46 PM
I'm not so sure if I still want an Asus 780i board any more. The Strike II Formula is nowhere to be seen. The P5N-T Deluxe is out but has tons of issues, Vista BSODs, Yorkfield support issues, etc. I checked Asus' site and find out that only the 1.02G PCB rev. supports 45nm quads, so you'd better make sure you receive one with the lastest PCB.

I'm supprised at the board not being available over there. I would have thought you guys would get a shipment before the UK.

Keep us posted as to what you go for and how it goes. If this Striker turns out to be a dud i'm gonna have to rethink.

The reason I love the Strikers is the bad-ass spec. Over the past year things like the 3 temp probes, for example, have been really handy. And with the new 780i one, it's got little LEDs for the NB, CPU and SB for monitoring the voltage. The EVGA680i was always a better board, but i'd still have the Striker for these reasons.

Oh yeah Amuro, what do you mean by 'the latest PCB', are there different ones? I know the Striker is a different PCB to the P5N. Any links to info would be very much appreciated as there is very little on the web about these boards.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-10-08, 02:53 PM
The last couple of days i've been thinking about the temps i'm gonna be getting with an overclocked Q6600 and decided to go for a watercooling setup. Never had anything to do with watercooling before, so I did a search and found some good advice here at NVN.

XION X2 recommended a Swiftech H2O kit for Atojar, so I looked in to it and decided to go for the Swiftech H20 120 Compact Kit. It's a bit smaller but it's more within my budget and should fit in my case. It gets very good reviews on the site I got it from and should cope fine with my set up.

The cooler is due tomorrow and the rest of the bits on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

Hopefully I won't be shat on by the BIOS :o

thats pretty good for the cpu.... I hope you aren't planning on adding anything else to that loop in the future :)

Revs
01-10-08, 02:57 PM
No. I know it's small and won't really cope with much more to cool. The Striker has huuuuge heatsinks and the GPUs are fine temp wise.

Cheers anyways bud.

Dazz
01-10-08, 03:18 PM

Hopefully I won't be shat on by the BIOS :oI ordered the 220 compact kit, getting it from the states but it's held up in customs :(

LORD-eX-Bu
01-10-08, 03:18 PM
they probably think its a bomb :udawg: