PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket 8800 GT Cooler suggestions?

DWells55
01-03-08, 08:05 PM
Hey guys, I recently built myself a new gaming PC with an 8800 GT in it and I'm pretty happy with the 8800 GT so far. However, there is one thing bugging me - the fan on it. The card was originally hitting the mid-low 90C range before I updated the BIOS. This increased the fan speed and decreased load temps to the low 80s, but the fan is now really whiny. When shifting speeds in between 3DMark06 tests, it emits a high-pitched noise that I originally thought was a PC case speaker before I realized I didn't have one. It really sounds like a digital MIDI noise more than a fan when it's speeding up/slowing down. It occasionally does this in-game as well. I'm rather sensitive to noise, particularly very high frequencies, so it's a bit of a nuisance.

So the obvious solution here is a new cooler. However, there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice here for aftermarket 8800 GT coolers. When I had a Radeon 9800 Pro, the VGA Silencer was well regarded and when I had a GeForce 6800 the Zalman vf700cu was widely agreed upon. There doesn't seem to be a widely agreed upon choice for the 8800 GT. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking for something that isn't louder than the stock cooler at 29% yet provides noticeably better cooling as I would like to overclock this thing some more. Also, it can't be excessively large or heavy. My Cooler Master case uses a clip system instead of screws for holding the video card in and I absolutely do NOT trust it with a heavy cooler installed.

Thanks.

shabby
01-03-08, 08:23 PM
Accelero s1 + 120mm fan, thats all you need. Will bring temps below 50c under load.

wysiwyg
01-04-08, 10:17 AM
i have a thermalright hr03 GT cooler and 92MM fan on my GT and temps stay around 45 degrees on load