PDA

View Full Version : Apple backs Blu-Ray

Tr1cK
01-04-08, 09:09 AM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/03/apple_set_to_ship_macs_with_blu_ray_support_report .html
Looks like they are starting to ship with Blu-Ray.

Madpistol
01-04-08, 10:21 AM
yay!!! $3k for a $2k Mac w/ Blu-ray support!!! :headexplode:

nekrosoft13
01-04-08, 10:40 AM
stupid, only logical move at this point is get either LG GGC-H20 or GGW-H20

get both formats in one device

six_storm
01-04-08, 10:47 AM
It's hard to say whether or not this is a good move or bad move. I'm pretty sure that if Apple includes them with every computer model, the price won't go up that much, if not at all. Apple has been pretty good at staying around the same price while upgrading specs on their machines. Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure this won't help the format wars any.

TheTaz
01-05-08, 09:44 PM
stupid, only logical move at this point is get either LG GGC-H20 or GGW-H20

get both formats in one device

While I agree about the both formats thing... I'm not sure Apple's move is all that stupid, given that Warner is Dumping HD, more movies are created for Blue Ray, and Apple wants to do online movie rentals via iTunes (Appease the media moguls).

Eventually... the (Hard Media) format for movies won't really matter, because Internet bandwidth technologies are supposed to hit 100 Mbit to the home in the future, and I would gather that the on-line market is the real trend (DRM'd or not, I don't know... since the Music Industry is starting to dump DRM).

So from a pure technological view of burning "archives", Blue Ray actually makes more sense due to the capacity (50 GB for Dual Layer). But then again... there's supposed to be a 51GB HD DVD disk in the works... so who knows.

My point is... by the time this "format war" is over... we'll probably be just renting / buying HD Movies online, with an uber fast connection to the Net.

-Taz

jeffmd
01-06-08, 12:39 AM
the reason apple wants bluray is cause microsoft backs HDDVD. ^^