PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Intel... Nehalem

Amuro
01-05-08, 12:33 AM
Great article from HKEPC:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-TW&u=http://www.hkepc.com/%3Fid%3D568&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DIntel%2Bnehalem%26complete%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26cr%3DcountryHK%26sa%3DG

MUYA
01-05-08, 12:54 AM
Bring it on....2009? I will get a decent 45nm quadcore to hold me out till Bloomfield or Lynnfield.

Come on AMD you better have something to compete.

If anything AMD should do..get the Phenoms 45nm ramped up with moderate core speeds and sell em cheap to stay afloat till they can really counter Intel. Ie K6 series then whamo get another K7 and K8 ;) well they would be k11 and k12 or something

:)

AthlonXP1800
01-05-08, 01:35 AM
Wow Bloomfield is already sampling now and lowest end Bloomfield to cost $266 at launch in Q4 2008?

AMD is in huge trouble!

K007
01-05-08, 04:55 AM
lol...google translate..

" And 1160 and 1336 ....
係點嫁??? Point of the marriage??
三個月換一次Socket??? Socket for a month??"

Oh..hit 3001 posts.../clap

Amuro
01-05-08, 05:39 AM
lol...google translate..
係點嫁??? Point of the marriage??
三個月換一次Socket??? Socket for a month??"
The first one is cantonese homonym which translate to"what is it like?"
Second one means change "Socket" every 3 months.

sytaylor
01-05-08, 08:18 AM
Bring it on....2009? I will get a decent 45nm quadcore to hold me out till Bloomfield or Lynnfield.

Come on AMD you better have something to compete.

If anything AMD should do..get the Phenoms 45nm ramped up with moderate core speeds and sell em cheap to stay afloat till they can really counter Intel. Ie K6 series then whamo get another K7 and K8 ;) well they would be k11 and k12 or something

:)

Im in complete agreement about AMD.

Anyone know if Intel plan on changing their socket anytime soon? Id like to hold on to this motherboard through another upgrade if possible.

hirantha
01-05-08, 08:21 AM
oh wow that means another new machine for me next year? i should start allocating the budget right now. :-P

Amuro
01-05-08, 09:08 AM
Im in complete agreement about AMD.

Anyone know if Intel plan on changing their socket anytime soon? Id like to hold on to this motherboard through another upgrade if possible.
Not till Q4, when they release Bloomfield, then in 3 month they will change to another socket for Lynnfield.

LovingSticky
01-05-08, 09:28 AM
If I understand it correctly, Nehalem will be quadcore with hyperthreading, so it will be possible to execute 8 threads under certain conditions and it will appear as 8 core CPU in OS.

Amuro
01-05-08, 09:41 AM
If I understand it correctly, Nehalem will be quadcore with hyperthreading, so it will be possible to execute 8 threads under certain conditions and it will appear as 8 core CPU in OS.
It can have up to 8 cores, 16 threads.

sytaylor
01-05-08, 09:48 AM
Not till Q4, when they release Bloomfield, then in 3 month they will change to another socket for Lynnfield.

Hmm, wait til 09 and the Lynnfield maturing sounds like a plan.

LovingSticky
01-05-08, 10:08 AM
It can have up to 8 cores, 16 threads.

Well, I love the continuous development, but who really needs an octacore? My current Q6600 runs usually at less than 25% of CPU utilisation (meaning single core would suffice most of the time), only sometimes I need more (50%, aka dualcore, when doing some 7-zip pack/unpack in the background) and only very rarely I need close to 100% performance (doing some video encoding, 7-zip, disk defrag, huge Outlook search, etc., at the same time).

But I love having quadcore, as my computer is (finally) faster than me and I am not "starving for more performance".

It will be wonderful for servers, but can anybody here actually utilise 8 cores / 16 threads for 100% more than 1 day a month?

LORD-eX-Bu
01-05-08, 10:25 AM
hmm... I thought that the octa-care processors and tripple-channel DDR3 controller would only be for workstations and servers...

all that the desktop version would get would be quad core and at the most dual channel ddr3 on the enthusiast intel platform... the other mainstream platform would use a different socket.

there are going to be like two or three different sockets... its gonna get confusing as hell and looks like prices are gonna be going up :lol:

sytaylor
01-05-08, 10:52 AM
there are going to be like two or three different sockets... its gonna get confusing as hell and looks like prices are gonna be going up :lol:

Which is what happens when AMD are doing poorly.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-05-08, 10:57 AM
well, overall cpu prices are going to be the same... but seeing as how they are splitting the enthusiast platform to a different socket from mainstream I'd bet that we're going to pay a premium for new motherboards :lol:

Feyy
01-05-08, 11:12 AM
The first one is cantonese homonym which translate to"what is it like?"
Second one means change "Socket" every 3 months.

Eh what? Intel changing socket every 3 months or did i understand this wrong? :o

Amuro
01-05-08, 08:08 PM
They won't change it, Intel will have two sockets. One with and one without an IMC.
This is gonna be a tough decision for most enthusiasts.
Yeah, basically it comes down to memory performace, triple channel vs dual channel, and if you're going to run CF/SLI or not.

LycosV
01-05-08, 08:45 PM
Will the processors be the same with the motherboard determining where the memory controller is? Or will they be selling two lines of processors?

Saintster
01-05-08, 11:30 PM
wow all of this is moving at a fast rate imho,I think I'm at a point where chasing tech to play online shooters and surf the net is over. My current rig is plenty enough but for the cutting edge users it's exciting.

Amuro
01-06-08, 02:01 AM
Will the processors be the same with the motherboard determining where the memory controller is? Or will they be selling two lines of processors?
Looks like there will be two lines. The cheapest Bloomfield will start from $266, according to the article.

LycosV
01-06-08, 12:23 PM
I think they'd be better off throwing their weight one way or the other than releasing two different lines of chips. Otherwise we're lible to get some seriour market confusion (if they use the same name for both lines).