PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL 3?

califax2k
01-05-08, 06:27 AM
Hi,

does anyone know whether the ForceWare drivers will support OpenGL 3 for Geforce 8800 cards?

bests,

Lars

Lenin
01-06-08, 05:36 PM
What would you need Opengl 3 for?
It's not even finalized yet.

califax2k
01-06-08, 06:10 PM
I know that it's still taking some time. I do not need it currently. It's just because I am curious about it. It bothers me that the capabilities of new cards are fully available only under vista with dx10 and I want to know if there is a minimal chance that this might change in the future.

OpenGL 3 is what I am hoping for. Unfortunately when searching the web for hardware support for OpenGL 3 I can find only hints that g92 based cards will support it despite the fact that also g80 cards might be capable of supporting it. At least this is my conclusion when I read that OpenGL 3 provides comparable functionality to dx10 which is supported by my card.

Another thing is that I am planning on doing some graphics coding (haven't event started yet) and I want to avoid to settle on certain OpenGL features that might disappear in the feature.

bests

Lars

fivefeet8
01-07-08, 01:08 AM
From what I've read of OpenGL3, it's not going to have all the functionality of Dx10 in it's current roadmaps. It may when it's release and finalized, but until they can actually agree on the features and extensions, it's going to be a while. Current Dx10 hardware will support OPenGL 3 when it's released unless they surpass the API feature list of DX10, but that's unlikely at this point.

Don't worry about coding in OpenGL 3 right now. Code in OpenGL2 and use extensions to use Dx10 specific hardware features until OpenGL3 is finalized.

lucy2loose
01-09-08, 11:16 AM
Maybe I missed the point somewhere but aren't most so called DX10 graphics features implemented via HLSL or GLSL - these are compiled to binary and sent to the hardware. Since the compiler is hardware specific and supplied as part of the graphics drivers then any effect available in the shader language should be available from XP,Vista or Linux.
Is this why most of the Vista only DX10 features in Crysis werer actually available on XP?

i SPY
01-09-08, 04:05 PM
there isn't even a decent opengl 2.1 game out and you want 3 allready lol... and same goes with dx11 pomp NOT WORTH IT, forget about it, and wait for true dx10 based games ... not this sudden open gl 3 and dx 11 fiasca

AngelGraves13
01-09-08, 04:13 PM
What would you need Opengl 3 for?
It's not even finalized yet.

Hopefully the Carmack will use it for RAGE!

i SPY
01-09-08, 04:24 PM
rage and its engine id Tech5 is 2.1 based

AngelGraves13
01-09-08, 05:00 PM
rage and its engine id Tech5 is 2.1 based

DOOM 3 was developed before OpenGL 2.0 came out and a new renderpath was made for it before release.

I'm sure Carmack will attempt to use OpenGL 3.0 on RAGE when it is finalized.

AngelGraves13
01-09-08, 05:06 PM
Carmack says he might consider OpenGL 3.0.

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=302231&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=20671657

SH64
01-09-08, 05:09 PM
GeForce 10800GX3 will support OpenGL3.0+

Bokishi
01-14-08, 02:06 AM
Yay another new graphics api to get lag and BSODs with

Absolution
01-14-08, 05:12 AM
Yay another new graphics api to get lag and BSODs with
opengl hardly ever lags and is almost always completely stable

honestly, the number of inefficient opengl engines is nill compared to that of any version of directx

Amaury
01-20-08, 03:03 PM
here's one example of a non game application. just run google earth in directx vs opengl and see how quickly it crashes, especially with all video options cranked to the max + it's slow when it streams new terrain textures. opengl is smooth as butta and doesn't crash. it's weird that the default setting for it is directx vs opengl.

Amaury
01-20-08, 03:06 PM
opengl scales normally with faster hardware. can't say the same thing for directx. i wonder how much more efficient/faster crysis would run if it was written for opengl.

Amaury
01-20-08, 03:09 PM
nvidia hardware + opengl = the way it's really meant to be played. nvidia has always had great opengl drivers.

ClosetFanBoy
01-20-08, 03:54 PM
I'm a gaming fossil, and have always preferred opengl over directx. Dont know the technicalities between the 2 other then I've experienced way smoother gameplay and less bugs under opengl.

Wonders why more dev's dont go down the GL path.

Burnt_Ram
01-25-08, 09:44 AM
I'm a gaming fossil, and have always preferred opengl over directx. Dont know the technicalities between the 2 other then I've experienced way smoother gameplay and less bugs under opengl.

Wonders why more dev's dont go down the GL path.
i have always prefered OpenGL too, and i too wonder why dev's dont use OpenGL more???

ViN86
01-25-08, 09:49 AM
i have always prefered OpenGL too, and i too wonder why dev's dont use OpenGL more???
idk.

i liked OGL a lot, too. anyone remember hearing the rumors that Vista would break OGL so only DX could be used?

jolle
01-25-08, 11:41 AM
idk.

i liked OGL a lot, too. anyone remember hearing the rumors that Vista would break OGL so only DX could be used?
Think that was a general misinterpretation, the issue is (correct me if im wrong) that if you are running Aero, which is D3D accelerated, and run a windowed OpenGL application over that, OpenGL will be emulated via a D3d Wrapper, or somesuch.
Some speed penalty would occur...

But tbh I haven noticed any performance difference with or without Aero using Maya, which I belive run its viewports using OpenGL, so I dunno if it works as I described or what..

Absolution
01-25-08, 11:49 AM
Its harder to program in, but in a way that means its also more efficient (more technicality for optimizations etc).

And ya, I believe opengl has run in emulation mode in windowed mode for a while now, even in xp.

Monolyth
01-25-08, 12:41 PM
Its harder to program in, but in a way that means its also more efficient (more technicality for optimizations etc).

Sorry to poke at your quote there, but complexity of an API has no bearing on it's relative performance, especially if a developer has no idea what they are doing. Looking at those studios that primary use OpenGL it is clear that it is the developer's knowledge of the API then anything to do with the API's complexity.

Absolution
01-27-08, 10:49 PM
Sorry to poke at your quote there, but complexity of an API has no bearing on it's relative performance, especially if a developer has no idea what they are doing. Looking at those studios that primary use OpenGL it is clear that it is the developer's knowledge of the API then anything to do with the API's complexity.

Sorry if i wasn't clear, but if you've programmed in opengl before, you realize that there are multiple ways to do the same thing, the more complex is the more efficient way.
ex: you can draw in vertex primatives, or vertex arrays