PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling

mullet
01-05-08, 03:02 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8896/20070524114347au7.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/433/ll3kc2.jpg

One of the main reasons I got this case is at some point I wanted to try my hand at water cooling and the case has the room for that is why I stripped out all the junk to give me room. I was thinking of putting a dual 120mm rad in the front where the 2 120mm fans are and have the rez and pump in the bottom some where so it would be neat with plenty of room. The only thing I am worried about is putting to much heat in the case but all of the fans can do 89CFM each. I was also wondering what components to get that are good and will a P&PC 750Quad would be able to handle it all? I know there is some very experienced water cooling guys in here so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-05-08, 03:55 PM
your psu will be able to handle it fine.

what about if you move your psu to the bottom? that leaves you with tons of room to work with at the top of the case and you could probably fit a 120.3 radiator up there with three 120x25mm fans.

Buy a D-tek Fuzion with hi-flow barbs.. use a mcp655 pump. If you want to cool your nb you could use a mcw60 block and I would recommend an ek full cover block for your gpu if that is the route you want to go.

Xion X2
01-05-08, 06:11 PM
your psu will be able to handle it fine.

what about if you move your psu to the bottom? that leaves you with tons of room to work with at the top of the case and you could probably fit a 120.3 radiator up there with three 120x25mm fans.

Buy a D-tek Fuzion with hi-flow barbs.. use a mcp655 pump. If you want to cool your nb you could use a mcw60 block and I would recommend an ek full cover block for your gpu if that is the route you want to go.

I agree with everything Lord suggested except the NB block; it's not really needed and will kill flow. Other than that, he's steering you the right way. Move your PSU to the bottom and it should leave room for mounting a 120.3 in the top of your case.. allowing you headroom to H20 both a quad and high-end GPU.

Also, EK's blocks, while they look flawless inside and out, for some reason do not perform as well as other products I've used like Dangerden. My Dangerden full-cover blocks for the 8800-series always performed better by about 5C.

mullet
01-05-08, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the input guys, these are some of the things I am thinking.

1. If I use a 3 120mm rad at the top. I have to cut it (I could do no biggy) but thats more 120mm fans plus with that being at the top is it to far of a distance to put the rez and pump at the big space I allotted at the bottom 2 120mm fan area?

2. I plan on getting a Q9450 Yorksfield which from what I understand it doesn't have the heat issue of the other quads. (correct me if I am wrong)

3. I only plan of cooling the CPU only, would a 2 120mm rad in the bottom front area not be enough? Would it put to much hot air in the case?

4. what kind of temps could I expect with a 2 vs 3 120mm rad with a quad @ say 3.5 or 3.6?

5. what rad 3 or 2 would you recommend?

EDIT: I just found this same case. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2665808&postcount=6289

breathemetal
01-06-08, 12:08 AM
that's one hell of a case

mythy
01-06-08, 06:15 AM
^ lapped thermlright and cpu (nana2) I'll give your new water cooling a run for its money!

Oh and with that case I would be mounting 1 120.3' (top) and a 1 120.2 on the front and dual pumps just to make use of all that wasted space :p

mullet
01-06-08, 12:33 PM
That's true. Yorkfield runs much cooler. I have 30-33C idle temps at 4GHz compared to 43-45C at 3.2GHz with the B3 Kentsfield.
I used to have water cooling for a few years after I sold the phase. First I cooled CPU, NB and GPU(s), later only the CPU. In the end I can't recommend H2O unless you want an ultra silent rig or you like the look of it. There is much more work involved compared to air cooling and the performance gains aren't worth it especially with our new CPUs. If you want better cooling performance, go phase. Don't waste time or money on water. Then again, phase isn't that great for everyday usage, it's quite loud.
Conclusion, high end air cooling ftw ;)

Thanks dude. The fan setup I have now is really quiet (the most quiet case I have ever had) and my temps @ 3.5 are 27c compared to 35c on a hot E6600, if I crank the fans all the way up (89cfm) then the temps really drop. So if the Yorksfield runs even cooler then I will jump up to a Ultra120E (now that I have a case it will fit in) from my Thermalright Ultima-90 and that should make even more difference.

Slammin
01-06-08, 12:42 PM
You can use a dual rad but you will probably have to crank the fans up some.

My primary reason for watercooling was silence and with just the PA-160, I had to crank my fans up pretty high with this cpu. That is why I added the single 120. Plus, why not? I didn't have to cut anything :-)

I'm also not a fan of cutting holes in the top of my cases since I have small children around sometimes and the thought of one of them spilling something on/in my rig makes me a little nervous.

If I were you, I would consider a dual 120 as well as at least one single 120. I know if I had that case, I'd definitely fit two singles in there since they would fit without modding :-) You would be able to run your fans at 1000rpm or less.

I run two mcp655's but really, one is fine for my loop. I have them both set to around 3. I only run two because I had a spare sitting here doing nothing. I also like this CPU block though I don't have the nozzles. Too lazy to go back and add them at this point but they are worthwhile.