PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 64 vs. AMD Opteron

Kain
04-21-03, 05:43 PM
Do you think there will be able gaming performance difference between the two?

reever2
04-21-03, 06:22 PM
Unless most opteron boards start including AGP slots there will be a huge difference. Other than that, there might be some diference since the opteron has dcddr

Dazz
04-22-03, 02:04 PM
The nForce3 Pro supports AGP 8x, the Operon will be fairly faster due to it'd dual DDR support :) 3.2 vs 6.4GB/sec bandwith :)

Kain
04-22-03, 02:27 PM
So do you think gaming will be faster on the AMD Opteron than the AMD Athlon 64?

Cotita
04-22-03, 02:40 PM
I guess it will depend on the chipset.

Supposedly the nforce will support dual channel DDR memory with the athlon64 and maybe even DDR400.

I guess VIA and SIS chipsets will be somewhat slower so maybe an Athlon64/nforce will meet or even beat an Opteron/via platform with games.

Kain
04-22-03, 02:45 PM
What about Opteron/AMD platform?

StealthHawk
04-22-03, 02:55 PM
I would suspect that the Athlon64 motherboards would be optimized more for performance while the Opterons ones will be tuned for stability.

Also, supposedly the Athlon64 integrated memory controller already supports DDR400, albeit single channel only. Opteron supports dual channel DDR333.

we should know more about how the two will stack up once Athlon64 is launched, along with nforce3, to see if it brings any aces up its sleeves to the table.

Dazz
04-22-03, 05:17 PM
Yeah the current preview sucks ass man VIA board OMFG run run!
NEVER TOUCH ANOTHER VIA BOARD AGAIN!!

Sazar
04-22-03, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yeah the current preview sucks ass man VIA board OMFG run run!
NEVER TOUCH ANOTHER VIA BOARD AGAIN!!

whats wrong with via boards ?

the via kt400a performs @ almost the same level as the nforce2.. not theoretical mind... but actual performance... and is much cheaper to produce... hence cheaper to buy...

there is a large segment of the market that will buy via chipsets :)

StealthHawk
04-22-03, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
whats wrong with via boards ?

the via kt400a performs @ almost the same level as the nforce2.. not theoretical mind... but actual performance... and is much cheaper to produce... hence cheaper to buy...

there is a large segment of the market that will buy via chipsets :)

let's see here... the famous PCI latency issue.

VIA's half hearted attempt to put out a high performing platform. they only seem to do this after the competition puts them to shame. their continued releases of chipsets with the same features.

we have the KT266A-KT333-KT400 all offering the same performance. the KT333 at least officially supports DDR333 which when running with a CPU with 333FSB gives it an advantage over the KT266A which was not seen when the motherboard first came out. but the KT400 has the same performance as the KT333 and doesn't even officially support DDR400!

and then there's this line from Tom's review:Maybe VIA should have been cautions once again, as there is a strange downside to KT400A: it is faster than KT400 when using DDR400, but it runs even faster with DDR333! And if this wasn't enough, the KT400A with DDR333 is even slower than the KT400 with DDR333. Still with me? ;)

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20030417/kt400a-08.html

great, so in the real performance mode(ie with DDR333) the KT400A is not as fast as the KT400, which in turn is at the same level as the KT333 with DDR333.

KT400A is still not as good as nforce2 either.

VIA's work ethic is deplorable, and they face constant embarrassments with their "new" chipsets. aren't they planning on releasing a dual channel solution for Athlon later too? what is the point of the KT400A then, just to try to save face? please.

Dazz
04-23-03, 04:38 AM
VIA boards have poor PCI performance, poor IDE performance & poor over all performance and tends to have lots of strange compatibility problems. I may have been put off from buying nVIDIA video cards but their motherboards are still excellent and worth that little extra to buy :)

marqmajere
04-23-03, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
VIA boards have poor PCI performance, poor IDE performance & poor over all performance and tends to have lots of strange compatibility problems. I may have been put off from buying nVIDIA video cards but their motherboards are still excellent and worth that little extra to buy :)

People who bash VIA boards must have the worst luck in the world with them.:( I've ran nothing but VIA and have never had so much as a hiccup compared to other systems I've tested in the past. I'm a firm believer that as long as you know what you're doing, you shouldn't have any problems (unless, of course, if the hardware itself is bad).

I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing. All I'm saying is that you should look at it at being a good chipset and not bash it for not being the very best. :)

Dazz
04-23-03, 06:38 AM
I've had 4 2x Chinatech MVP3 1x ASUS P3V4X & my current A7M266 hybrid VIA/AMD. I had 2x MVP3's due to one beging completly unstable whatso ever and with the other one it was unstable with my Geforce 256 Pro. The P3V4X was a pretty bad performer/stabily with my SB live 5.1. The A7M266 has very strange issues with Bink movies. The sound stutters all the time when being played ingame i belive this is now the m/b as i have replaced everything but the m/b!