PDA

View Full Version : Vista/XP Dual Boot setup. Whats better?

dante
01-07-08, 01:28 PM
Looking for some input from you guys who have experience in dual boot OS's. Is it better or more convenient to have two hdds with Vista on one and XP on the other. Or a single Hdd dual booting with both OS's? Im thinking one HDD is better so you can pick what OS you want when you boot into Vista/XP instead of having to go into the bios to choose what HDD. I just got a 500gig hdd so I can put two on one but I could do two because my other HDD is a 160gig.

Monolyth
01-07-08, 01:31 PM
Dual HDD's are way easier, and safer too, and you don't have to go into bios to choose, install XP on one, then install Vista on the other. Vista will give you a "boot" screen that will allow you to choose which OS you want (Previous Version (XP) or Vista).

I ran dual boot for awhile, till I found myself in Vista 90% of the time and made the decision to just go vista all the way after about a month & 1/2.

hirantha
01-07-08, 01:42 PM
i Think Vista is stable enough to stand on its own without a dual boot...if i were you i would just install Vista.

ATOJAR
01-07-08, 02:21 PM
i Think Vista is stable enough to stand on its own without a dual boot...if i were you i would just install Vista.

Exactly, when i was dual booting when vista was first release i was dual booting from the same drive then you can just select the O\S you want to boot into without any real mess about! .....

To be honest i wouldent bother with dual booting now ... as said vista is very stable now, theres just no point in dual booting unless you really need to!

Tr1cK
01-07-08, 02:30 PM
I'll just drop my 2 cents on, why bother with Vista, if XP suffices?

Maybe he wants to dual boot due to compatibility reasons?

Either way, I would do a dual drive setup for dual boot.

dandano
01-07-08, 03:47 PM
dual drives. works fer me.

$n][pErMan
01-07-08, 05:04 PM
I have dual between XP, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit :) All from different stages of testing.... now Vista 64-bit is all I really boot into :)

Slammin
01-07-08, 06:21 PM
I took XP off and run Vista64 exclusively on this machine, but I also have some spare machines that still run XP and one came in handy this weekend.

I bought a bluetooth headset for my mobile device and the bios upgrade program for flashing the bios does not work with Vista64. I also like to play with different WM6 ROMs and flashing my phone is simpler with ActiveSync and XP than it is with Vista64, though I usually just do it withing Vista64, though I must boot with driver signing disabled.

As far as the best way to dual boot, two drives is easier, in the sense that you don't have much to do when you finally decide to drop one OS for good, but if you do it with one drive only, make sure to install XP first, Vista second. Actually, even if using two drives, that is the best install order if you want to avoid having to change your bios to pick the OS. I prefer the boot menu as opposed to having to change bios each time, and there are plenty of boot utils out there to erase any remnents of the OS you decide to drop later on.

sytaylor
01-07-08, 06:34 PM
[pErMan']I have dual between XP, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit :) All from different stages of testing.... now Vista 64-bit is all I really boot into :)

This is my point to everyone. Vista is now at the point where most things work, and if they don't the fix is a 2 minute google search away.

soulie
01-07-08, 06:53 PM
dual boot works just fine for windows versions on one hard disk without going into the bios.

Normally the boot manager should be able to point also to windows versions on a other hard disk.Installing xp first then vista on other hard disk should give you the option of booting both without going into bios.

If you are a newcommer to Vista it is nice to have a dual boot because vista can be overwhelming sometimes in the beginning and drive you totally made with UAC, disk indexing and thousand and thousand of exceptions the gadget bar throws.Luckely can be turned off all.

SH64
01-07-08, 06:54 PM
2 separate HDD's for each OS. my friend had both OS's on 1 HDD & he had some problems.

sytaylor
01-07-08, 07:25 PM
2 separate HDD's for each OS. my friend had both OS's on 1 HDD & he had some problems.

If they are partitioned it shouldn't be an issue.

DRen72
01-07-08, 07:38 PM
I think it depends on what you get used to. I've tried both setups and there are pros and cons to both. Right now I use one drive with several partitions and I dual boot.

amk21
01-07-08, 10:16 PM
I just got vista 3 weeks ago, I started off with a daul boot(both os on one hdd), but I felt that Vista was good enough to stand on its own. So I only have vista installed riaght now.

dante
01-08-08, 11:38 AM
Okay so I cloned Vista from my 160gig over to my 500gig. Worked great np. Then I reformatted my 160gig and installed XP on that. That went okay as well. Thing is now it will only boot into XP. I went into the bios and told it to boot Vista/500 gig first but no go. Still only the XP drive. I assume the mbr is only seeing XP now and not sure how to fix it.If I boot up with my Vista disc and do a repair will that make it prioritize Vista and thus give me the option of booting into either OS?? Thanks

Monolyth
01-08-08, 12:10 PM
Okay so I cloned Vista from my 160gig over to my 500gig. Worked great np. Then I reformatted my 160gig and installed XP on that. That went okay as well. Thing is now it will only boot into XP. I went into the bios and told it to boot Vista/500 gig first but no go. Still only the XP drive. I assume the mbr is only seeing XP now and not sure how to fix it.If I boot up with my Vista disc and do a repair will that make it prioritize Vista and thus give me the option of booting into either OS?? Thanks

People never listen:
Dual HDD's are way easier, and safer too, and you don't have to go into bios to choose, install XP on one, then install Vista on the other. Vista will give you a "boot" screen that will allow you to choose which OS you want (Previous Version (XP) or Vista).

There's probably a roundabout way by editing the boot.ini file, but Vista uses a new bootloader so not sure if it would work or not.

Slammin
01-08-08, 12:35 PM
google easybcd

Works great.

dante
01-08-08, 01:38 PM
People never listen:

There's probably a roundabout way by editing the boot.ini file, but Vista uses a new bootloader so not sure if it would work or not.

I did read that but I wanted to get around having to back up and reinstall Vista. Cloning was a good easy option so I tried it. So Vista ended up getting installed first. Just thought there might be a easy fix.

dante
01-08-08, 02:02 PM
Think I may have found a solution. Going to have to try when I get home.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista

dante
01-10-08, 08:07 AM
google easybcd

Works great.
That worked perfectly. Thanks guys i'm all straightened out now. :thumbsup:

stncttr908
01-10-08, 12:20 PM
Single drives, man! It's not that hard, really. Each drive can have four primary partitions so it's not like you have to struggle with logical partitions, boot files, the MBR, or anything like that. Vista even takes care of all of this for you reasonably well if you begin with XP. Even if you begin with Vista and add XP/2K/whatever later, it's just a matter of popping in your installation media and running the recovery steps.

FWIW, my desktop and laptop both have Vista, XP, and Ubuntu on single drives running GRUB.

What I do advise is you put your primary OS on the first partition and then down the line in order of most used first. This is because the partitions near the outer portion of the disk will benefit from higher sustained transfer speeds. However, with higher density platters in today's 1TB drives and the like the severity of this issue is diminishing.