PDA

View Full Version : The Black Mirror

seeker
01-07-08, 03:03 PM
I have had this game for quite a while now, but have never been able to get it to work. After reinstalling it a nuimber of times, I lost interest and put it on the shelf. Now, after getting a second wind, I did some Googling and it appears that the problem is common...apparently, it is due to Starforce protection on the game. When I try to start the game, a Starforce dialog opens, saying that it has to install some drivers, which requires rebooting. After complying with it, and restarting the game, the same dialog opens again, preventing the game from playing.

I found a couple of mentions saying that a workaround was to disconnect the optical drives before playing, but that is more hassle than the game is worth. How can I get this to run normally like most other games?

SH64
01-07-08, 04:42 PM
SF is teh evil. i say dump the game its not worth the hassle.

sharvin
01-07-08, 09:14 PM
yeah i downloaded a demo once that had sf protection and it asked me to register the product and asked for a cd key.... who the hell register's a demo.

HiCZoK4
01-08-08, 12:45 AM
Great game .I passed it. Not only for adventure games fans.
but hmm. I didnt had any copy protection with this....I have full version given with Cd-action gaming magzine in Poland :lol: seems they removed protection!!!
hahaa This month they gived full riddick and also no protection !!! I love my country :lol:

SH64
01-08-08, 05:05 AM
Someday i should visit Poland ...

LordJuanlo
01-08-08, 05:14 AM
I'm a big fan of the Prince of Persia games, when Prince of Persia The Two Thrones was released I bought it and did not play until a crack that removed the Starforce protection appeared. Avoid Starforce protected games at all cost.

Some time later Ubisoft dropped Starforce protection, now it uses Securom (I think), that's a far less intrussive protection.

HiCZoK4
01-08-08, 04:21 PM
Someday i should visit Poland ...
Games are cheap here (except ea games) and sometimes monthly gaming magazines gives nice full versions.
For example this month Riddick+Shadowgrounds packed together together are for 5$(16zeta)
Its like legal (lee) sometimes.
For real now. this is rare situation :D

seeker
01-24-08, 04:07 PM
Following a suggestion that a member gave, I got the game to run, bui it keeps going to a black screen, only displaying sections in which activity occurs. Following some FAQS:

http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/tac/support/pc/video/The_screen_turns_black_when_attempting_to_play_my_ game.php?pid=1&sid=11&gid=3

I found none that solved the problem, but it did make it appear that the solution for this problem may be the same as for another game in which the game frequently goes to a black screen...Nethack. In both games, moving the mouse cursor removes the black along it's path. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?