PDA

View Full Version : FRAPS Problem

CaptNKILL
01-08-08, 07:15 AM
This problem has been around forever it seems and it drives me nuts.

I cannot take screenshots at 2048x1536 with fraps. It crops them down to 1920x1200.

I've asked the makers of Fraps about this and I've looked around the net and I haven't found any permanent solutions. Supposedly you can change your desktop resolution before playing a game and it'll fix it temporarily, but I rarely "plan" on taking screenshots. I have fraps running all the time so I can grab a pic of a score board or something funny when I play a game. I'm not going to change my desktop resolution every single time I play a game.

I play just about everything at 2048x1536 so this makes Fraps practically useless for taking screenshots. I just had one of my best games of TF2 ever (100% pyro, 80 kills, 20 assists, 11 deaths on 2fort)and I took 7 screen shots, only to find out afterward that its still doing the cropping thing so I lost all of the stats at the bottom of every screen.

Does anyone else run at this resolution and do you have a similar problem?

Any ideas for work arounds?

This is the only reason I haven't purchased Fraps yet. They aren't making any effort to fix a serious bug that has been around for a very long time and renders a major part of the program worthless.

EDIT: Here is what they told me when I emailed them about this almost a year ago:

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your message, and I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. From your description it sounds like you may be running your desktop at a lower resolution than that of the games that you are trying to capture. We are aware of a problem that can occur in this kind of configuration that can lead to captures being at the wrong resolution.

If this is the case, I'd recommend that you try setting the desktop resolution to match the game's resolution of 2048x1536 and then reboot your machine.

After rebooting, you should find that you are able to capture at this high resolution. I hope this helps, however please let me know if you continue to have trouble and I will try and assist you further.

Regards,
Chris Van Graas

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your reply. I believe Fraps pre-allocates memory for the frame buffer when it is started, which could lead to a situation like this. However, I have passed your suggestion on to our developers for consideration in a future release.

Regards,
Chris Van Graas

Revs
01-08-08, 07:59 AM
So does it just shrink the shot down or does it crop the shot?

Q
01-08-08, 09:32 AM
So does it just shrink the shot down or does it crop the shot?

Stop smoking doobies for a minute and read his post. :D

(Yes, it crops the bottom) ;)

Tr1cK
01-08-08, 09:37 AM
Lower the game res before you take the screenshot?

Dr@Home
01-08-08, 01:22 PM
Or just hit the screenshot key. Its F4 by default in source iirc

edit- I have run into the same problem as well, but sometimes the shots come out at the right resolution , 2304x1440

CaptNKILL
01-08-08, 02:28 PM

edit- I have run into the same problem as well, but sometimes the shots come out at the right resolution , 2304x1440
Yeah I guess I'll just do that.

I forgot that the game had its own screenshot button.

Not all games do though.

Thanks for the tip.

Bman212121
01-08-08, 03:06 PM
You just need to get a 2047WFP and conform. :p

poullos
01-08-08, 04:19 PM

F5. I want to see those pyro owning screens. :captnkill:

CaptNKILL
01-12-08, 06:56 AM
In game screenshot button in TF2 works fine. This was 2048x1536. Shrank it down to 1024x768.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=29849&stc=1&d=1200142558

I had another good game. 100% pyro, mostly defense. :D

weeds
01-12-08, 02:12 PM
CaptNKILL here is a small program I use. Gamma Screenshot v0.5. It takes gamma corrected lossless screenshots at whatever resolution your useing in game. It uses very little resources and you can change a number of parameters if you like.

Gamma Screenshot v0.5
http://www.savefile.com/files/1313949
gss - Gamma Screenshot
Version 0.5 (Unicode, Beta)

WARNING: This program will overwrite output files if they have the same naming scheme. For example, if shot0000.png exists, it will be overwritten. Use the <starting_number> parameter to start at shot0001.png...(or whatever your naming scheme calls for).

DEFAULT configuration: write gamma-corrected PNGs labeled shot0000.png, shot0001.png, ..., shot9999.png to the current directory.

Optional program parameters and arguments:

Parameter Argument specification
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-h
-H
-?
/?
/h
/H
/help
-help Show brief help screen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-o <output_dir> Output directory
[Paths containing spaces must be enclosed with double-quotes.]

Default: current working directory

e.g. <output_dir>:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Desktop"
"c:\screenshots\"
c:\screenshots\

-f <format> Image output format
Default: png

<format>:
png ; lossless, 100% quality
jpg ; lossy
both ; lossless+lossy

-q <jpeg_quality> JPEG compression quality factor (0-100)
Default: 90

<jpeg_quality>:
0 ; minimum quality
100 ; full quality

-n <name_scheme> Naming scheme formula for output files
[Naming schemes containing spaces must be enclosed with double-quotes.]

Default: "shot%i" (i.e. shot0000.png; shot0001.png; shot0002.png; ...; shot9999.png)

Available variables:
%i: 0-based image # in 0000 format (e.g. 0002 for image #3)
%t: current time (military, hh:mm:ss) in 00_00_00 format (e.g. 17_11_01 for 5:11 PM)

e.g. <name_scheme>:
"shot%i(%t)" : shot0004(13_41_05).png;
shot0004(13_41_05).jpg

-s <starting_number> Initialize %i variable to the specified number
Default: 0

e.g. <starting_number>:
5 : first image is shot0005.png

-g <correct_gamma> Enable or disable gamma correction (applies current gamma setting to screenshot output)
Default: yes

<correct_gamma>:
yes : gamma correction on
no : gamma correction off

-----------------
DESCRIPTION
-----------------

When games initialize, they load a different gamma setting onto the desktop. Normally when you use the <Print Screen> key you are taking a screenshot without the gamma setting applied. This causes the resulting screenshot colors to be "off" from what you'd see in-game. You will usually experience the same phenomenon when using the in-game screenshot function.

Start gss and press the <Print Screen> key to capture a screenshot of the whole screen. A full resolution screenshot will be written to the directory of your choice in the specified file format.

The program will remain open until it receives a Ctrl+C signal or until the command prompt is exited. The maximum supported number of screenshots per instance is 10,000 (0-9999).

It works very well, Ive been useing it for some time.

Some sample shots taken with Gamma Screenshot v0.5
Gears Of War @ 2048 x 1536
http://www.preattach.com/out.php/t4378_shot0009.png (http://www.preattach.com/show.php/4378_shot0009.png.html)http://www.preattach.com/out.php/t4379_shot0011.png (http://www.preattach.com/show.php/4379_shot0011.png.html)
Crysis @ 2048 x 1536
http://www.preattach.com/out.php/t4380_shot0012.png (http://www.preattach.com/show.php/4380_shot0012.png.html)http://www.preattach.com/out.php/t4381_shot0005.png (http://www.preattach.com/show.php/4381_shot0005.png.html)

Redeemed
01-12-08, 02:43 PM
Something I was curious about-

How can I record what I'm playing. I know FRAPS has the option to record a movie of what you play, but it downscales the resolution. I'd like to make a video of what I'm playing at the exact resolution I'm playing, without any compression or loss of quality. I want the movie to look exactly like what I see on screen when I'm gaming.

I've asked about this before, and seems either nobody knows anything about this- or it's just impossible.

I mean look at the movies of Crysis, the HD movies- how did they record those? That's kinda' what I'm wanting to make, is HD movies of which ever game I want. Is there any way to do this?

MikeC
01-12-08, 02:58 PM
Something I was curious about-

How can I record what I'm playing. I know FRAPS has the option to record a movie of what you play, but it downscales the resolution. I'd like to make a video of what I'm playing at the exact resolution I'm playing, without any compression or loss of quality. I want the movie to look exactly like what I see on screen when I'm gaming?This feature (Full-size) is available in the full version of fraps :D

http://www.fraps.com/images/movies.gif

Redeemed
01-13-08, 02:02 AM
This feature (Full-size) is available in the full version of fraps :D

http://www.fraps.com/images/movies.gif
:o

Thanks Mike. :D Last question now... how come the playback of any video I record is soooo choppy? I can select "60FPS" be even still the frame rate is really low. I can manually type in "60" in that little white box- and still the video play back is choppy.

Any reason as to why this is happening? Am I just doing something wrong? Or is it because I'm only using the "free" version so my framerate is capped? If that's the case I'd probably purchase FRAPS right now. I just don't want to buy it to only find out I'd still have that choppiness issue.

CaptNKILL
01-13-08, 06:19 AM
Recording video takes a ton of resources and its going to be worse the higher the resolution you're using. I'd be surprised if anyone could run a recent game smoothly, record and encode a video at 60fps with anything less than an overclocked quad core.

What game are you trying to record?

Crysis? :o

Redeemed
01-13-08, 10:56 AM
Recording video takes a ton of resources and its going to be worse the higher the resolution you're using. I'd be surprised if anyone could run a recent game smoothly, record and encode a video at 60fps with anything less than an overclocked quad core.

Crysis? :o

Actually- any game. Even the older ones that run a 500 million fps... the playback of the video and while I'm recording it, everything is incredibly choppy. :(

CaptNKILL
01-13-08, 12:09 PM
Strange.

It might be hard drive related.

I don't know how much of an effect it has but I've heard that hard drive speed can make a difference in encoding large videos.

Redeemed
01-13-08, 12:29 PM
Strange.

It might be hard drive related.

I don't know how much of an effect it has but I've heard that hard drive speed can make a difference in encoding large videos.
Hm...

Mine is a SATA3Gb/s, 16MB Cache, 7200RPM- figured that'd be sufficient for most anything I'd do.

If it's not that, wonder if it could be a software glitch. Or, is the free version locked in at 24 fps? Might that be it?

CaptNKILL
01-13-08, 12:45 PM
Might be.

Its also limited to 30 seconds unless you register.

Redeemed
01-13-08, 12:58 PM
Might be.

Its also limited to 30 seconds unless you register.
But would 30fps still play back just fine? Any game I own feels "playable" and "smooth" at 30fps. Wouldn't that same look and feel carry over to any movied?

Here's the thing- when recording any video, my FPS counter drops to 24 fps. No matter what I choose in FRAPS, be it 30 fps or 60, my FPS will never go above 24fps when recording. Kinda' why I'm wondering if it is capped at 24fps.

Or it is just some software related issue...

Dr@Home
01-13-08, 10:21 PM

Crysis? :oFrom what i've seen with fraps, it only uses one core when encoding, but decoding will use both (all?) if needed.

But would 30fps still play back just fine? Any game I own feels "playable" and "smooth" at 30fps. Wouldn't that same look and feel carry over to any movied?

Here's the thing- when recording any video, my FPS counter drops to 24 fps. No matter what I choose in FRAPS, be it 30 fps or 60, my FPS will never go above 24fps when recording. Kinda' why I'm wondering if it is capped at 24fps.

You should have no trouble recording / playing back video at 30fps. If my Opty at 2.6Ghz can record/playback 1920x1080 at 24-30fps, your 185 can too.

1680x1050 at 60 is no go though. Never see it go above 45 when recording, and it plays back slow unless I open it with Zoom Player :headexplode:

It could just be an old version of FRAPS before they added in the multithreading updates?

crainger
01-13-08, 10:46 PM
I keep reading this thread as FAPS Problem. ::rolleyes::

sammy sung
01-13-08, 11:05 PM

I've learnt that to have real smooth video you have to lower your res ,even with 640x480 5 minutes of uncompressed avi is over 2 gb.If you scale that upwards according to the res you are using i think you can imagine how much data your system is processing.Also trying to record with 60 fps wont work,again its too demanding at the res you are shooting for.Try lower your res until the video is smooth,after that you can use virtual dub or something to compress it and make it more manageble.

http://justkidding.bf1942files.com/MovieMakingTips.htm

Redeemed
01-14-08, 01:18 AM
I've learnt that to have real smooth video you have to lower your res ,even with 640x480 5 minutes of uncompressed avi is over 2 gb.If you scale that upwards according to the res you are using i think you can imagine how much data your system is processing.Also trying to record with 60 fps wont work,again its too demanding at the res you are shooting for.Try lower your res until the video is smooth,after that you can use virtual dub or something to compress it and make it more manageble.

http://justkidding.bf1942files.com/MovieMakingTips.htm
Really? I mean in many old games like SoF, SoF II, Jedi Knight series, etc- I'm getting in some cases hundreds of frames per second. How come those don't record smoothly? Is it really that demanding, even with those older titles, to record high-res at a smooth framerate? :(

Ahh, I'll give that lower res a go though, just for the heck of it. Thanks. :D

sammy sung
01-14-08, 04:40 AM
Really? I mean in many old games like SoF, SoF II, Jedi Knight series, etc- I'm getting in some cases hundreds of frames per second. How come those don't record smoothly? Is it really that demanding, even with those older titles, to record high-res at a smooth framerate? :(

Ahh, I'll give that lower res a go though, just for the heck of it. Thanks. :D

I just tried to record at 1680x1050 UT3 and 39 seconds produced a 1.41 GB avi file.I used these settings :

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1025/81282957sq2.jpg
The video was smooth at 30 fps and it stayed pegged at that during recording.I also tried 60 fps with the same res,15 seconds of recording produced 1.9 GB avi video but my system was not able to maintain 60 fps during recording.It would fluctuate between 45-55 fps and the video was not smooth at all,it was choppy and paused here and there.So i think you can forget recording at 60 fps at this or higher resolutions with your system,you have to settle for 30 fps and adjust the res until you find the limits of what your rig can cope with.