PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Dolby Digital output on my 680i? Vista x64

Luieburger
01-08-08, 11:48 AM
I have my receiver and it has a Dolby Digital indicator light on it. It is currently connected to my motherboard through a Toslink into the S/PIDIF. However, the indicator shows no Dolby Digital Signal. When I play games or DVDs and have them set to 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, the light still does not come on and the speakers still do not play in surround sound and I just get stereo. I have tried the receiver with the same cables on my DVD player and it works perfectly with full 5.1 surround sound.

Furthermore, I can go to sound settings under control panel, right click on "Realtek Digital Output" and go to properties, select the "Supported Formats" tab, and test the Dolby Digital Output. When I do that, there is a brief pop in the speakers, the Dolby Digital indicator on my receiver comes on, and each of the speakers is tested. It works fine. But after the test is done, the light goes off and it goes back to stereo. The only way I have been able to get a Dolby Digital Signal is with that supported format test.

I have the latest Audio Drivers installed 1.83 from Realtek. I downloaded them from EVGA's website. I am using the on-board audio outputs on my 680i and running Windows Vista x64. I have not tried Windows XP or Vista x86 yet.

I know there must be something I am not setting properly because my motherboard can obviously output a Dolby Digital signal (when I test it).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Luieburger
01-08-08, 05:46 PM
I have done a bit more research and it seems my integrated audio doesn't encode Dolby Digital sound. At least not through hardware. As I stated above I am able to get a Dolby Digital signal when I run a format test in Vista. This would indicate that it is possible to convert my audio to Dolby Digital at least through Software somehow. Is there any such thing?