PDA

View Full Version : Best Game Art

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr Bigman
01-09-08, 07:14 PM
This isn't the best looking game out their but i give this game its attention.

Painkiller, This game has very nice charactor models, and artdekko buildings and columns.

Overall, this game didn't win a popularity poll, but this game should be noticed cuz of these bodies.

What game would you consider to have the art and design?

My pics besides Painkiller would be:

Oblivian
Doom 3

methimpikehoses
01-09-08, 07:16 PM
Good question, Big.

The Witcher

STALKER
Oblivion
Crysis
Bioshock

SH64
01-09-08, 07:20 PM
HL2.

Mr Bigman
01-09-08, 07:20 PM
I didn't put in Crysis cuz its more lush outdoor and the charactor models aren't that of Doom 3 or Painkiller.

Stalker is cool looking but the building design isn't a sculpter found in Painkiller.

Lots of games have these traits but few stand out.

crainger
01-09-08, 07:22 PM
Best art?? Hmmm

HL2, Bioshock, Mass Effect and The Witcher I'd say I'd say for recent titles. Older ones? All the LucasArt adventures easy...

Mr Bigman
01-09-08, 07:24 PM
Bioshock for sure.

Damn nice interiors and the modeling is outstanding.

Haven't seen Witcher yet but will check it out.

methimpikehoses
01-09-08, 07:26 PM
Haven't seen Witcher yet but will check it out.

You should get a two week ban for this.

crainger
01-09-08, 07:27 PM
Yeah. I expected more from The Bigman. ::(:

SLippe
01-09-08, 07:34 PM
I really liked Painkiller and thought Bioshock was amazing looking. I haven't played the others mentioned, oh, except Doom3 which was great looking as well. I'd like to add FEAR to the list.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-09-08, 07:36 PM
The Witcher :naughty:

crainger
01-09-08, 07:38 PM
I really liked Painkiller and thought Bioshock was amazing looking. I haven't played the others mentioned, oh, except Doom3 which was great looking as well. I'd like to add FEAR to the list.

FEAR had good art?! It had nice tech for the time and played well, but other that I dunno. ::bleh::

I think you need to play more games. ::)::

grey_1
01-09-08, 08:07 PM
Bioshock

GoW

Painkiller

In that order - Great attention to detail, very non-standard art design and best use of atmosphere and music to go influence and add to the mood the visuals brought to the game.

CDE_1246
01-09-08, 09:08 PM
Bioshock and Half Life 2

breathemetal
01-09-08, 09:32 PM
The Witcher, and Bioshock

sillyeagle
01-09-08, 09:46 PM
Bioshock stands out the most for me, but HL2 and the Witcher are good ones too.

SLippe
01-09-08, 09:48 PM
FEAR had good art?! It had nice tech for the time and played well, but other that I dunno. ::bleh::

I think you need to play more games. ::)::
Well, I meant in the form of graphics.

bob saget
01-09-08, 10:10 PM
bigman, ur my painkiller (lee)

Hoopla
01-10-08, 12:57 AM
Bioshock for sure. Amazing art design. If you stop and take the time to look around, every location tells a story.

MUYA
01-10-08, 01:46 AM
Unreal torunament 3?

Those buildings etc used are well designed etc..you know what I mean

jeffmd
01-10-08, 03:01 AM
hhmm, when I think of art in a video game, that is one that really stands out, I think of a game whose visual style holds up on its own merits, and could be totally separated from the game and still be appreciated. Crysis, is photorealistic, its art is replicating nature. Bioshock creates a great atmosphere by rendering us a possible futuristic 50's style city, how ever in the end its well rendered appliances from 1950 in an underwater biosphere.

IMO Squaresoft almost allways nails this on the head, there final fantasy worlds, and even their non final fantasy world (Valkyrie) Have a wonderful fantasy setting, with its own style of architecture, decor, and technology.

Thats not to say the PC was lacking at all.. Lucas arts adventure game visual styles are also some of the best.. day of the tenticle? grim fandango? Grim Fandango alone is among one of the best ever. Sadly those types of games are few and far between these days for PC, mainly because you only see it in rpg/adventure games. However American McGees Alice stands out as one of the most artistic third person plat formers. World of Warcraft is also such a game, and imo its one of the reasons that make it popular. We all know its a bit lacking in the polygons..and everyones long hair clips through almost every level 70 helm in the game, but the texture work and artistic design are hard to not like. The big lanky boards that houses are made from, the large colorfull forest of ashenvale, ironforge the city of stone encased in the snowy mountain, the forever burning city of stratholme.

I rescently playd psyconauts some, being it was by some of the old lucas arts adventure game makers, and you could see alot of creativity in it, but visually it didn't appear like they "mastered" 3d art to pull off a visual art style that could even be rated as good. The game features alot of unsual and imaginative character designs, but didn't give them the texture work or polycounts they needed.

Oblivion and Witcher, each game did have their moments, I was particularly impressed with witchers more convincing "old and poor marksmanship" villages, a much more realistic contrast to oblivions "everything is shiny and bumpy" looks. However as far as original content goes, as far as a unique and imaginative world goes, neither one stood out at anything special.

IMO of course.

Zeta
01-10-08, 03:38 AM
World of warcraft. Great artistic style to it.

SH64
01-10-08, 03:39 AM
bigman, ur my painkiller (lee)
teh bigman kills you pain ... forever (lee)

NiukNiuk
01-10-08, 05:47 AM
If by "best art" you mean "game created by people who know how to draw/have a high artistic knowledge", well I'd say:

Bioshock
Guildwars: every chapter (arenanet's art team is truly amazing, go see their post on conceptart.org)
and an older game: american mc gee's alice

Those are the only games that, when I play them, make me think "ok the guys who created this are truly artists".

There are a lot of games that are beautifuly modelised, with great realistic graphics/effects etc...but for me the artistic "touch" is the more important.

DoomUK
01-10-08, 07:07 AM
Sonic:-

http://img2.kult-mag.com/photos/00/00/61/37/ME0000613798_2.jpg

Yes, I'm serious. It's the sort of game that you can look at and have it cheer you up on a rainy day.

Otherwise, most of the games that have already been mentioned I'll just reiterate: Doom 3, Painkiller, HL2, STALKER, Oblivion, Gears of War, UT3, Bioshock...

nemecb
01-10-08, 10:03 AM
and an older game: american mc gee's alice
+1

That game has aged incredibly well. It may not be impressive from a technical perspective anymore, but crank up the res and AA/AF and it still looks great.