PDA

View Full Version : External HDD to PS3

DJMONDY
01-10-08, 09:25 AM
Hia, How do i get the PS3 to recognise my pics, avi's music etc on my external hdd??

Ive plugged it in and it can see the drive but says theres nothing there.

Hope you can help :)

Bet its really easy thing to do now lol.

Thanks

Dai

DJMONDY
01-10-08, 09:39 AM
Ah right. does it matter if their in different folders within folders etc on the hdd itself? they will still show up i take it?

What about my pics?

Many thanks

:D

DJMONDY
01-10-08, 11:51 AM
Thanking you ;)

I take it the ps3 will play my avi's....?

Im a bit late on trying this stuff out as ive only bothered doing it through my pc. didnt feel the need to at the time but now my pc's gone duff so thought i would give it a go.

Epyx
01-10-08, 02:52 PM
I take it the ps3 will play my avi's....?

Yes it will play most of your avi's. There were initial reports about issues with Xvids but I personally have had no issue as most of my tv shows are in Xvid format.

It will however (as with most stand alone divx players) not play high resolution divx's. If you are using Yellow ;) Dog Linux or streaming from your PC you can get around this however ;)

christos
01-10-08, 10:08 PM
Also, I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but if you re-organize your folders and put your pictures in a folder called 'PHOTO' on the root, songs in 'MUSIC', movies in 'VIDEO', the ps3 I believe will pull them up automatically for each category without you having to use the 'show all' option.

DJMONDY
01-11-08, 05:22 AM
Thanks for all your help everyone :)

I gave it a go lastnight and it worked on most of my avi's as stated. i might give that linux a go. where would i find this and instructions on how and what to do?

Strange it doesnt allow my pics to be shown or play my mp3's tho. have i got to download something for this to work or doesnt the ps3 support this?

Thanks again ;)

Destroy
01-11-08, 10:26 AM
The PS3 can connect to and see external usb hard drives?

DJMONDY
01-11-08, 11:06 AM
Yep, i can confirm it can :)

ENU291
01-11-08, 11:08 AM
Just make sure the drive is formated using FAT32.

Epyx
01-11-08, 11:11 AM
Strange it doesnt allow my pics to be shown or play my mp3's tho

Just remember that if you are not creating the default folders of PHOTO VIDEO etc then you have to hit Triangle under the appropriate PS3 Option IE Video, Photo...you won't see Photos under Videos for example.