PDA

View Full Version : PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

PeterJensen
01-11-08, 05:46 AM
http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=2339

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4193/ppalpqtx0.jpg

PS3Hax member Lichemaster, reported in his thread of a new PS3 homebrew project called MegaBox. MegaBox is similar to a media center, similar to the XBMC on Xbox 1, fully functioning on the PS3.

The MegaBox has many cool features that any PS3 owner would find interest in such as VoIP, P2P, TV, Movies (Including MKV), and much more! The full list is below.

The best part is the program will require NO INSTALLATION, and would be OPEN SOURCE (based on FREEVO). In layman's terms, all you need to do is pop in a CD/Flash drive with the program and anyone can enjoy it without too much problems (no need for linux either).

Full Features of MegaBox:

Originally Posted by MegaBox Features
Video:
1-Reproduction in the premises of almost all the formats of video, including the MKV.
2-Reproduction in Streaming (from Internet or the local network) reproduces just like in the point 1 that if, the MKV would cost to him more but, depending on the bandwidth of Internet, since in local network we have all 100MB.
to 3-Encoder and to decoder of DivX, DVD, TDT and others.
4-Recording to CD's/DVD's etc. (Necessary external recorder USB)
5-Possibility of using compatible digital cameras with Linux.

Audio:
1-Reproduction of all the habitual formats. (Local and streaming.)
2-Encoder and decoder of CD's and other formats.
3-Recording of CD's/DVD's etc… (Necessary external recorder USB.)
4-Possibility of using compatible reproducers MP3/MP4 with Linux

TV/Radio: (compatible with multiple models and marks of devices USB TV)
1-Reproduction of TDT, TDS, TDC and IMAGENIO. (Necessary USB capture device.) “one in pack MegaBOX PS3 will be included”
2-Radio and TV in streaming by Internet.
3-Recording of programs of TV “to the hard disk of the PS3, external Hard disk or to record it to CD/DVD “with possibility of programming the hour and date of recording.

Software:
1-FireFOX. (Formed with all plug-ins for its perfect operation.)
2-System P2P.
3-System VoIP and instantaneous mail.
4-Emulation of games of almost all the platforms. (Reading of ROM's from any unit, even from local NETWORK.)
5-Game for LINUX in 3D (to still not contrasted.)
6-Possibility of launching PS3 games directly from MegaBOX.
(In the future possibly ISO loader)
“Software requests are accepted”

Appearance:
1-Skins Manager so that you modify to your taste the appearance of MegaBOX in your PS3 (Necessary knowledge of XM)

Components needed:
1-Playstation 3 sixaxis (PS3)
2-Any compatible PS3 device

Screen Resolution:
1-1280x720 (720P)

NOT NEED TO INSTALL, is based on FREEVO and the source is gonna be released. You dont need to install linux, IE: you can run a live cd or put it on a mem card and run the media center from there. so everyone can use it without to much problems.

**UPDATE**

We have a small tutorial and the beta file if you are interested in trying this. Please note that it is very buggy at the moment and this is a BETA version.

Easy Instructions by StreetSkaterFU:
ISO Download (OS): http://www.rapidshare.com/files/82297965/k3b_0.rar.html
Petitboot Loader Download: http://ozlabs.org/%7Ejk/projects/petitboot/
(PS3Hax mirror will be up soon for all those RS haters )

Installation (easy way):
--------------------------
1. Install the Petitboot Loader
2. Burn the ISO (from the dl link) as image on a cd
3. Start petitboot loader (Download this loader here)
4. Put in the cd
5. Choose CD icon with petitboot
6. Start the second icon
7. TADAAA... works

(lee) :captnkill: (lee) :captnkill:

So ****ing NICE!

crainger
01-11-08, 06:06 AM
OMG Download client now!!!!!1111!

EDIT: Doesn't work through HDMI. ::(:

nekrosoft13
01-11-08, 06:08 AM
let me know crainger, maybe this will make PS3 usable finally.

|MaguS|
01-11-08, 07:18 AM
How do they load an executable? Is it firmware dependant? Like can a firmware update break it? Why only a single resolution support?

I can also see Sony not liking this because it will hurt their own plans for IPTV and DVR Capabilities in the future, let alone movie/show downloads from their network when released.

Some of the capabilities seem alittle far fetched also, I mean 3D Linux gaming? I don't even think the linux community has been able to pull that off due to the lack of GPU drivers for the PS3 in linux.

EDIT: Bah you still need to install a loader on the PS3, which means formating it... no thanks...

Reading through the thread on PS3hax it looks like this does absolutly nothing... they made a menu but it can't even play mp3s.

Don't really see the point behind this, everything they mention is possible within linux on the PS3 and since you need to format the system to install the loader why not just install linux while your at it... or also load it from a thumb drive...

Ninjaman09
01-11-08, 08:55 AM
I still don't get why they use the Spider-Man font.

LordJuanlo
01-11-08, 09:20 AM
Holy sh*t, Microsoft should learn from this and let the community play with the 360. Kudos to Sony for allowing this thing.

|MaguS|
01-11-08, 09:35 AM
Holy sh*t, Microsoft should learn from this and let the community play with the 360. Kudos to Sony for allowing this thing.

This is nothing more then a streamlined linux release (removing the desktop and making a menu insted), there is nothing special about this at all. It technically has been possible since the consoles release with just installing linux on the console.

That is why it requires the bootloader, to be installed...

PeterJensen
01-11-08, 09:47 AM
This is nothing more then a streamlined linux release (removing the desktop and making a menu insted), there is nothing special about this at all. It technically has been possible since the consoles release with just installing linux on the console.

That is why it requires the bootloader, to be installed...

Give it time m8 ;)

Buenamos
01-11-08, 11:13 AM
The progress is lookin great! Can't wait till they get all the bugs out so I can start using the PS3 more. Not to mention our media center isn't quite quick enough for HD mkv files so this will be a real treat instead of using my laptop to output the 1080p content to our TV. Keep the updates comin!!!!

|MaguS|
01-11-08, 11:49 AM
The progress is lookin great! Can't wait till they get all the bugs out so I can start using the PS3 more. Not to mention our media center isn't quite quick enough for HD mkv files so this will be a real treat instead of using my laptop to output the 1080p content to our TV. Keep the updates comin!!!!

Why wait for this distro? Just install linux on your PS3 and your good to go... no need to wait for this to be ready.

Buenamos
01-11-08, 12:41 PM
Why wait for this distro? Just install linux on your PS3 and your good to go... no need to wait for this to be ready.

I was actually planning on doing that not too long ago but I've been home for x-mas break for almost 3 weeks now and I'm heading back to Phoenix tomorrow so maybe I'll look into it. This is pretty much plug and play with a real simple interface rather than having another desktop interface which is what intrigues me.

Lyme
01-12-08, 11:46 AM

MS does let the community play with the 360, it's called the XNA creators club.

ViN86
01-12-08, 12:12 PM
ooooh. im going to wait to see how this develops :D

brady
01-12-08, 02:32 PM

They also make it so the community can play lots of video games. :captnkill:

ViN86
01-12-08, 09:01 PM
if you take the time to read the licensing on that, you will find that any game you write, MS owns. it's pretty ridiculous.

also, you have to pay money to run your own games on your 360. the whole thing is a scam imo.

Subtestube
01-12-08, 09:36 PM
if you take the time to read the licensing on that, you will find that any game you write, MS owns.

Just to clarify this point, could you point me to the documentation that actually states that? As far as I can tell, at the moment you can't make something that connects to any network, you can't make something commercial for XBOX using XNA (though that's coming later), and you can't make something commercial that runs on any other non-windows platform. I've seen nothing that specifies that things made with XNA belong to MS, so I'd just generally be interested to see where that information come from.

The point about paying to run code on your 360 is fair, but being fair in the contrary direction, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than becoming a licensed developer for any of the consoles, which is the only way to actually write games for any of them (in as much as you can write things for linux, you get no video drivers, which restricts what you can do in a game-y sense pretty heavily. Of course, as a general purpose media player you're going to be able to do much more under linux, as you can code what you like for it!)

ViN86
01-12-08, 09:51 PM
Just to clarify this point, could you point me to the documentation that actually states that? As far as I can tell, at the moment you can't make something that connects to any network, you can't make something commercial for XBOX using XNA (though that's coming later), and you can't make something commercial that runs on any other non-windows platform. I've seen nothing that specifies that things made with XNA belong to MS, so I'd just generally be interested to see where that information come from.

The point about paying to run code on your 360 is fair, but being fair in the contrary direction, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than becoming a licensed developer for any of the consoles, which is the only way to actually write games for any of them (in as much as you can write things for linux, you get no video drivers, which restricts what you can do in a game-y sense pretty heavily. Of course, as a general purpose media player you're going to be able to do much more under linux, as you can code what you like for it!)

well i didnt mean it as anything you write MS can claim and sell. sorry, i was vague. i was more referring to what you stated. you can only use it for personal use and only distribute to other people who have paid for the XNA development on their consoles.

i mean, you should be able to distribute a few discs to your friends. but then again, these are consoles... not PC's. :(

Lyme
01-12-08, 11:45 PM
well i didnt mean it as anything you write MS can claim and sell. sorry, i was vague. i was more referring to what you stated. you can only use it for personal use and only distribute to other people who have paid for the XNA development on their consoles.

i mean, you should be able to distribute a few discs to your friends. but then again, these are consoles... not PC's. :(

You can distribute up to four copies of the software for personal use.

The underlying reason for the tone and direction of the elua for the XNA developers kit is simply. MS has invested a significant amount of money in their "enthusiast" tools, and they don't want you creating for other platforms or distributing products made with the tools freely. You should know, that MS also sells professional tools that give you many more freedoms than the "enthusiast" tools do. Otherwise all the console manufacturers require that they sign off on your product before they will let anyone release it for their platform.

Per the PS3 and linux, Sony isn't really providing you with any tools that they have developed, or particularly spent time on, so it doesn't really count now does it.

nemecb
01-14-08, 04:32 PM
I thought that looked a little like MythTV. Freevo's pretty close to the same thing.

On the 3d gaming front, I know that nouveau has been working on getting some accelerated drivers for the PS3, but I don't think they have anything that advanced yet. NVidia has said that they won't help or more importantly hinder the project, so it's possible that at some point in the future accelerated drivers could happen though.