PDA

View Full Version : New TF2 PC Maps, Achievements and 'Large Scale' Gameplay Shift Within 2 Months

poullos
01-11-08, 07:04 PM
Update: Valve's Robin Walker has clarified that the new maps will definitely hit the PC, but are undecided for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Team Fortress 2, which are only available in The Orange Box.

Original Story: Two new maps for Valve's Team Fortress 2 will hopefully arrive within the next two months, the studio has informed Shacknews.

One of the new arenas is a remake of Team Fortress Classic's Badlands map, with an emphasis on more vertically-oriented gameplay due to the presence of control points on towering spires.

"Our estimate is that both these maps should be out within the next 2 months," Valve employee Robin Walker told Shacknews. "We expect to ship other new content before that."

That other content includes the forthcoming Medic achievement pack, which will add several new achievements for the Medic as well as a significant gameplay tweak for the class.

"It's a large scale modification to the core of the game," Walker hinted. "It'll debut in a limited fashion through the Medic first, but it'll be affecting all classes eventually."

"We're really looking forward to the community reaction," he continued. "We're really excited about where TF2 will be going over the next year."

For further details on the new Team Fortress 2 map, check back with Shacknews early next week for our hands-on impressions. In addition, there are some brief TF2 Badlands impressions in the latest Shacknews ShackCast.

Also, everyone laugh at this poor guy

http://shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50709

Can't wait!!! I hope this adds depth to the game and nothing more...

Ayepecks
01-11-08, 08:00 PM
...what is the large change to the medic class (that will eventually come to all the classes)?! I want to know more now! :mad:

ChaoticNick
01-11-08, 08:27 PM
"It's a large scale modification to the core of the game," Walker hinted. "It'll debut in a limited fashion through the Medic first, but it'll be affecting all classes eventually."

I MUST know more!!!

GitDat
01-11-08, 09:25 PM
Don't be messing with my demoman now (po) hehe

Madpistol
01-11-08, 10:03 PM
I really love the gameplay mechanics right now... please don't screw them up valve. :(

Rakeesh
01-11-08, 11:01 PM
Medic is a pretty boring class to play, they probably want to make it more interesting. I wonder if they are going to bring back infecting?

stncttr908
01-11-08, 11:17 PM
I feel like they're adding grenades back into the game, but with smaller quantities. It'll probably be a server option so you can still play the "old" style.

Ayepecks
01-12-08, 12:12 AM
Medic is a pretty boring class to play, they probably want to make it more interesting. I wonder if they are going to bring back infecting?
I love the medic. I can dominate with him... he's actually a killing monster if you know how to use him right.

NiukNiuk
01-12-08, 04:38 AM
I love the medic. I can dominate with him... he's actually a killing monster if you know how to use him right.

+1
I love playing medic

CaptNKILL
01-12-08, 05:12 AM
Kick ass.

Badlands was a really fun map and it should look amazing on the source engine.

As to the gameplay changes... bring them on! The best part about the good old days of mods like TFC were that they changed over time. It kept things interesting and its what made the game last so long for so many people. TF2 is great the way it is, but its a perfect game to experiment with. If they do something that sucks, they'll hear about it and they'll fix it... they have proven that in the past.

I can't wait to see what they do with the game. :)

BTW, I'm still hoping for more old school maps to be brought back. I've been playing a lot of the unofficial "warpath" map lately and its awesome. The end points for the bases suck since they are nearly impossible to take and always lead to sudden death, but with a little tweaking this could be as good as an official map.

They need to bring back Epicenter, rock2, canalzone 2, avanti and Hunted.

http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/fms/Image.php?id=10665

mullet
01-12-08, 10:18 AM
They promised new maps before the holidays, now they say 2 months good grief.

stncttr908
01-12-08, 11:34 AM
As long as they're good quality I can wait. It's funny how all I really play right now are 2fort and dustbowl though.

poullos
01-12-08, 01:41 PM
I mostly play dustbowl with some gravelpit. I like lazytown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70bfGhzmKOA) custom map too.

newparad1gm
01-12-08, 07:22 PM
Hopefully there will be more ctf maps. I enjoy 2fort greatly, and I wish they would make a ctf version of Well, because that was one of my favorite TFC maps. A reintroduction of the Hunted gametype would be great as well, I enjoyed running around as the VIP whacking would-be assassins with my umbrella.

CaptNKILL
01-12-08, 08:35 PM
Hopefully there will be more ctf maps. I enjoy 2fort greatly, and I wish they would make a ctf version of Well, because that was one of my favorite TFC maps. A reintroduction of the Hunted gametype would be great as well, I enjoyed running around as the VIP whacking would-be assassins with my umbrella.
I agree completely.

CTF Well was freaking awesome.

And Hunted was an excellent game mode.

The old hunted map probably wouldn't work though because quite a few things have changed that really effected game play. Like how explosions no longer push team mates, so you can't launch each other through the vents. And there aren't any grenades which were necessary for flushing out snipers.