PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 Engine Games And Vista64

Mr Bigman
01-11-08, 10:54 PM
For some strange reason, Doom3 based games and ut3 won't work no more in Vista 64 for some reason.

I removed drivers and installed nerwer ones but i keep getting game stopped working with a timestamp kernal32 error in event viewer for some reason.

All i did was install games and updates.

Did i break something in Vista or is this the sings of things that people are talking about with Vista?

These games worked fine before but for some reason older games work fine like Farcry UT2k4 quake3 and older GL games but newer games won't open and keep saying stopped working.

Mr Bigman
01-11-08, 11:20 PM
This is strange, Crysis works great, Bioshock works fine to but some of these other games won't.

Is there an element in Vista that handles certain game engines but why would Bioshock work and UT3 stop working and use the same engines?

Amuro
01-11-08, 11:35 PM
If you have issues with UT3, try the 169.28 beta drives from nzone:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ut3_downloads.html

Mr Bigman
01-11-08, 11:46 PM
I had those and did same thing.

Bioshock works fine and uses same engine.

Gears of War doesn't error but does nothing but an hourglass on mouse pointer and goes away.

conroejoe
01-12-08, 12:38 AM
Did i break something in Vista or is this the sings of things that people are talking about with Vista?

Yes, welcome. ;)

Mr Bigman
01-12-08, 01:47 AM
Im actually starting to wonder the same thing with the OS.

I didn't do a damn thing but install games and this is what i get.

Half the games say they stopped working period and others work fine.

THis is BS, **** Vista if this is going to happen.

I had no probs with XP with games loading an dnow this crap.

Hell with it i was a good trooper with Vista and still like it but this crap changed some of my mind about it.

I did do a driver update for display but did it the right way but mabye i should of done a driver cleaner but they want money now.

LordJuanlo
01-12-08, 02:33 AM
I have just downloaded the latest batch of fixes from Windows Update, and the 169.28 beta drivers for Vista x64. Tested UT3, Doom3, Quake 4 and all work fine.

Mr Bigman
01-12-08, 03:25 AM
These games worked fine before but i do remembering installing Paint.net.

Could that effect anything cuz it stated ut was optimizing something and it could be my system.

I did remove the SP1 RC but that didn't help neither.

I don't want to start over cuz i have tons of software and games loaded already.

I have the latest drivers too.

Mr Bigman
01-12-08, 05:04 AM
I remember now it might be an Audio Codec.

WHen i was updating FFdshow, it took me to a site something the lines of OpenAI or something like that i downloaded it and i remember games not working so its somehting to do with a codec but how do i know?

Mr Bigman
01-12-08, 05:23 AM
http://www.openal.org/links.html

Its this crap messing it up.

How can i remove it? I use a Realtek HD audio chip for this HTPC for the digital out.

conroejoe
01-12-08, 08:59 AM
http://www.openal.org/links.html

Its this crap messing it up.

How can i remove it? I use a Realtek HD audio chip for this HTPC for the digital out.

Thats prolly not it. OpenAL installs with a few games like Aegia and I have neither but everything still works. It sounds like something is hosed with Vista TBH. These are the types of retarded things that have happened with Vista to me thus forming my anti-Vista sentiment.

I just keep Vista X64 installed on another HD now and switch the SATA cable so I can test with it but I dont have to deal with Vista on a daily basis.

grey_1
01-12-08, 09:07 AM
The only trouble I had with that engine was that aero didn't shut down when the game was fired up, so resources weren't freed up as needed. Every other game whether D3D or OGL worked just fine, I could alt-tab out and see aero shut down, not with Doom 3.

This caused quite a bit of headache trying to use Radiant, as it wouldn't work properly with aero running.

Mr Bigman
01-12-08, 12:29 PM
Works now, I hunt down OpenAL and installed it.

I don't know how that fouled up the games but it did cuz after i installed it, all games work great and other stuff too i was having funny corks with.