PDA

View Full Version : XFX GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Alpha Dog Edition

ronss
01-13-08, 01:33 AM
i just bought this card-XFX GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Alpha Dog Edition

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3427124&CatId=1826

anyone got this card, give me some info on it

okay, i did find some interesting info on this card, in mad 06, this card beats the gtx in mad06. i cannot post the link but it was here-
bjorn3d

i had a diamond viper hd3850, which is not a bad card.. but i sometimes wonder why amd is doing what they are doing, and its not helping the comsumer.. i found the drivers hard to install, you could not extract them to a folder on the desktop, but i had to put them in my documents if i remember right. if you tried to install in a folder, you would get a 88 character error. also , now for legacy cards, you have to look for a link for em.. i just dont get amd, why make it hard for the comsumer,... i think the driver install for the 3800 cards will turn some off, and i am willing to bet that they are getting rma becuase of difficult driver install.

Viventis
01-13-08, 07:38 AM
I have the overclocked version of this card. It looks like they still giving out the free Company of Heroes game. Good price! Sometimes it is tough to tell which version you are getting because about 4 different cards all carry the "Alpha Dog Edition" label on the box. It appears that yours is the standard clocked model from the spec sheet. See the link from XFX below:
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?seriesId=730995&productId=1558693#

This is mine:
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?series=GeForce%26tra de%3B+8800&productConfigurationId=1558713

The card is very fast since it is factory overclocked. However, I have to run Riva Tuner to up the fan speed from the default 29% to 60% or the in-game temps will run well into the 90's. All GT's run hot with the stock cooler. This one runs hotter than most (because of the overclock most likely). Yours may run cooler because of the timings.

duralisis
01-13-08, 02:03 PM
I've got one, it's the newer black PCB revision with the better cooler on it. It runs very stable. Fast in everything (Crysis high settings during singleplayer), and it runs cool (50C idle, 65 under load).

People with the overclocked XXX editions have had trouble with overheating issues, but the regular card runs great. If you do happen to get an older green PCB version, then make sure you ramp up the fan's duty cycle to 40% using RivaTuner or the XFX replacement BIOS (send a support ticket). It defaults to 29% on the older ones.

namuk
01-13-08, 04:22 PM
I've got one, it's the newer black PCB revision with the better cooler on it. It runs very stable. Fast in everything (Crysis high settings during singleplayer), and it runs cool (50C idle, 65 under load).

People with the overclocked XXX editions have had trouble with overheating issues, but the regular card runs great. If you do happen to get an older green PCB version, then make sure you ramp up the fan's duty cycle to 40% using RivaTuner or the XFX replacement BIOS (send a support ticket). It defaults to 29% on the older ones.

xfx have a bios update for the xxx or the other gt cards i have it .. runs 73c at load 48-52 idle

ronss
01-14-08, 12:27 AM
hmmm,, and i thought i was getting the top notch one since it said alpha dog. had no idea there different versions of it.

ronss
01-14-08, 12:37 AM
yea, looks like 4 cards, and i have the entry level one...sob, wish i knew that,, quess i can return if for another maybe, its allready shipped..i call tigerdirect,, i can return it,, i probably would get it wed, return it -3-4 days,, and 7-10 days for the warehouse to sort things out... i just as well keep it,,,or it could be 2 weeks plus for replacement.. quess i have a couple of days to sort it out..

walterman
01-14-08, 03:45 AM
If you bought an overclocked version in Europe, you better read this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94262

ronss
01-14-08, 04:27 AM
i am going to return the xfx to tigerdirect for refund, bought the evga superclocked.....

walterman
01-14-08, 07:55 AM
Afaik, the american XFX warranty is much better, but, the european XFX warranty is a total abuse of the buyer. I cannot recommend it to anybody who wants to buy a factory overclocked card.

ronss
01-14-08, 02:51 PM
well, i sent it back due to the fact it would be a couple weeks to get another, ,,the way i am doing it now, i will have the evga wednesday,, a overclocked version, and the xfx is going back for refund,,,no waiting..

namuk
01-14-08, 04:02 PM
i have one of them xxx versions and have no trouble with it at all. but when i did get it i noticed on the box version 1.2 . i live in uk and they did take a while to get in stock here. do not no were your from maybe you had the first release

ronss
01-15-08, 01:23 AM
well, i would get it from ups on wed or thur, and then send it back.. they probably get it next tues, and 3 to 5 days to process. i found a evga sc version, bought it and will get it on thursday.. the xfx i sent back,, just going to get my credit card refunded, and its over. this way i will have my new card this week.. i did not realize that i had bought the reference speed version, my mistake./