PDA

View Full Version : Newbie really would like some advice!!!!


jimbo1mcm
01-13-08, 08:06 AM
HI. I am not a gamer, yet, but I do want to get into some pretty high level stuff, so I want to set up my system. I have been doing some research. So here goes: I have a HP Pavilion M9040n. I has an Intel Q6600 dual core processor. It came with a Nividia GE 8400 card and a 300 watt power supply. The case has a secondary exhaust fan just opposite the GPU, in addition to the PSU fan. Not sure of the CFM of that fan. I have ordered a PC Cooling 750 watt PSU from Newegg and will upgrade in preparation for a better video card. After a looking at a lot of cards, it seems that I like the Gigabyte 8800GT512 and I am on Newegg's waiting list. From what I read, it looks like the 8800GT's have a big cooling problem. The Gigabyte with the Zalman cooler looks like it will certainly help, but I wonder if it will be enough. I use my computer about 90% in the desktop mode and the other 10% will be in gaming, so I want a quiet computer. I have my HP in an alcove in my desk that is enclosed on 3 sides, the front being the only open area. It looks like the fans draw their air in from the right side of the computer and out the back. I think case cooling could be a problem for me, since the expelled air might be reintroduced into the cooling loop. I am open to any and all suggestions on how to get a good video card, reasonably good, but not absolutely crazy top notch performance, and reliability and quietness. I don't want to have to replace a video card in under a year because of heat and OC issues. THanks for your help!!!!!

mythy
01-13-08, 08:37 AM
The GT no longer has a heat issue. The boards were released with premature bios. Since then at least 1 company has fixed this (EVGA) If you buy one of there cards it will not over heat. During desktop it will also be silent but not gaming.

Good Luck!

boow
01-13-08, 03:54 PM
I has an Intel Q6600 dual core processor.

I thought the q6600 was a quad core processor.

Toss3
01-13-08, 04:05 PM
I thought the q6600 was a quad core processor.
Hence the *newbie* in thread title... :D

You could always go for the more expensive 8800gts, which has a dual slot cooler(which should fix the cooling problems described in OP) instead of the single slot used on the 8800gt.

Or you could go with a 3870 and add a second one later?

Lenin
01-13-08, 08:36 PM
You could always go for the more expensive 8800gts, which has a dual slot cooler(which should fix the cooling problems described in OP) instead of the single slot used on the 8800gt.
Yes, and besides that the gts has much better avaiability than the gt.

Or you could go with a 3870 and add a second one later?
If a silent system is his primary concern, then crossfire or sli isn't a good idea. I avoid it for the same reason.