PDA

View Full Version : XBLA Goldeneye canned?

Pages : [1] 2

ralinn
01-13-08, 10:15 AM
http://kotaku.com/344084/xbla-goldeneye-was-real-nearly-done-now-dead

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/01/goldeneye.jpg
You may want to re-inforce your hearts before continuing. According to 1UP, an XBLA version of Rare's classic N64 shooter GoldenEye wasn't a rumour. It was real. It was a faithful port, with the same graphics, sound, etc. It would even have featured multiplayer over XBLA. However, only two months from completion, Microsoft and Nintendo couldn't agree on how they were going to split the proceeds, and the project was ****-canned. Game over. For those looking for a glimmer of hope, 1UP reckon the only way to salvage the project is to complain. Loudly.
Why Did GoldenEye XBLA Stall? [1UP]

Sorry if this is old, but it shocked me! Wow... imagine being able to play Goldeneye over XBL. :(

Feyy
01-13-08, 10:21 AM
One of the finest games for sure. Shame it wont make XBLA. Damn the N64 rocked so hard those years ago with the likes of these games. Memories of Ocarina,Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Banjo Kazooie etc... shame the games lately are so poor.

Lyme
01-13-08, 11:02 AM
Yep, Nintendo likely wants to re-release it on their system.

msxyz
01-13-08, 11:04 AM
Complain to whom ?

Nintendo for being too greedy with their requests ?
Microsoft for not wanting to spend enough money on the license ?

God bless emulation because it gets away with all that nonsense.

NaitoSan
01-13-08, 11:30 AM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! damn that sucks!

anyone want to start a petition? i know it might won't make any difference but damn! :(

edit:

http://www.petitiononline.com/XBGolden/petition.html

and

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?rare007

I signed both :D

six_storm
01-13-08, 02:46 PM
No!!!!!!!!

DoomUK
01-13-08, 04:15 PM
God bless emulation because it gets away with all that nonsense.

+1

ralinn: Just get yourself an N64 emulator. It really won't take a lot of Google'ing to track one down, along with the games.

ralinn
01-13-08, 04:22 PM
Heh, don't worry I've got the emulators. :)

Just not the same though :(

DoomUK
01-13-08, 04:33 PM
Heh, don't worry I've got the emulators. :)

Just not the same though :(

I know what you mean. But then, the only true way to get the "N64 Experience" is to play on an N64 :D.

ralinn
01-13-08, 05:56 PM
Definitely :D

I so regret selling it! Well, there's a lot I regret selling now, I should have kept all of it! That's all changed now though, I refuse to sell anything incase of heartbreak (like this news). :)

crainger
01-13-08, 07:48 PM
OMG! The GoldenEye movie was the best movie based on a game ever! ::retard::

::D:

Madpistol
01-13-08, 09:32 PM
I actually wanted to see that game on the Virtual Console, but I heard it was coming to XBLA instead... It kind of made me cry a little.

This makes me cry even more though. They canned the entire project?

I hate this world. :(

--on a completely different note--

There's always been a rule that the games based on movies are never any good.

Goldeneye007 was that one game that broke the rules... and God bless it.

Madpistol
01-13-08, 09:33 PM
Double post... damn internet. :headexplode:

ViN86
01-13-08, 11:46 PM
****. there's one XBLA game i might have actually wanted to buy. :(

DJMONDY
01-14-08, 10:10 AM
Im glad i still got my N64 and Goldeneye...couldnt bring myself to get rid of it.

How come the system wont work on these new age hdtv's with scart then? I tried it a while ago but no picture...i do get that sweet music tho!

Emulators just arnt the same despite them making the games look better in some cases.

NaitoSan
01-14-08, 03:27 PM
It appears it's Nintendo's fault for cancellation of Goldeneye on XBLA. President of Nintendo felt GoldenEye shouldn't be made available on a competitor's system.

http://kotaku.com/344324/goldeneye-xbla-****canning-was-nintendos-fault

crainger
01-14-08, 03:35 PM
Well Nintendo can suck my balls. Saitek has finished with them. Plenty of room for Nintendo.

Imbroglio
01-14-08, 03:58 PM
Well Nintendo can suck my balls. Saitek has finished with them. Plenty of room for Nintendo.

:udawg:

NaitoSan
01-14-08, 09:07 PM
hey, i just checked major nelson website and noticed this under his twitter selection:

"My inbox has a lot of 'Save Goldeneye' emails. I will be sure to pass them on to the right people."

http://twitter.com/majornelson/statuses/598714682

nice :D maybe, just maybe we'll end up getting it soon.

Madpistol
01-15-08, 07:56 AM
hey, i just checked major nelson website and noticed this under his twitter selection:

"My inbox has a lot of 'Save Goldeneye' emails. I will be sure to pass them on to the right people."

http://twitter.com/majornelson/statuses/598714682

nice :D maybe, just maybe we'll end up getting it soon.

If those emails can overcome what looks like a steep legal suit, then power to them... I doubt this is going to happen though. :(

NaitoSan
01-15-08, 05:05 PM
Yeah but Microsoft has money and could buy it off from Nintendo but I mean, shouldn't Microsoft hold the rights since Nintendo doesn't want it along with Perfect Dark and Banjo & Kazooie (which both are planned for XBLA release). Hopefully Nintendo and Microsoft come up with some agreement. Way too many people are whining for this to happen (includes me).

Madpistol
01-15-08, 05:39 PM
I think we may all remember this game just a *bit* too fondly. I loaded it up a while back, and couldn't even tell what the hell was going on. Like...guns, enemies, doors...everything just blurred together into a huge low poly mess.

I think GoldenEye will always hold a special place in my heart...but it looks too crappy to be removed from my closet full of obsolete consoles and games.

Oh give me a break. the game was absolutely groundbreaking for its time. Nowadays, it looks like ****... I'm sure with a few graphical upgrades and some tweaking, we can get back to having loads of fun just like we used to.

NaitoSan
01-15-08, 07:59 PM
Give you a break? Have you tried hooking your N64 up to an HDTV and playing GoldenEye? Do it, play it for a few minutes, and then tell me that.

The game WAS groundbreaking for its time....in 1997. Welcome to 2008. Character movement is extremely slow, there is no such thing as cover, and weapon balance is practically non-existant.

The "magic" of 007 had to do with getting a bunch of friends together and playing a good split screen FPS for the first time. A few of my friends thought it would be fun to bust it back out again...and we played for about 5 minutes before deciding to load up Halo instead.

I'd imagine that is exactly what 99% of the people who are begging for this game to be released on XBLA would do as well.
you're just spoiled by crysis, or whatever that has best graphics. that's it.

brady
01-15-08, 09:14 PM
Im glad i still got my N64 and Goldeneye...couldnt bring myself to get rid of it.

How come the system wont work on these new age hdtv's with scart then? I tried it a while ago but no picture...i do get that sweet music tho!

Emulators just arnt the same despite them making the games look better in some cases.

You're right it isn't the same. It's much better! I've been enjoying Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and Mario Kart at 1360x768 with 16xAF and 16xAA with with wireless 360 controller. Doesn't get much better than that.

What's even better is you can now play Goldeneye multiplayer online.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-15-08, 09:34 PM
OMG! The GoldenEye movie was the best movie based on a game ever! ::retard::

:::rofl::