PDA

View Full Version : Stream my Game - Play any PC game on PS3

christos
01-14-08, 09:43 AM
I know we discussed this in the past, but today it has been released.

http://www.hartware.de/press_7778.html

I am not currently running Linux on my PS3, but will gladly install it if this thing works well with no noticeable lag. At the very least, I would love to access my emulation library in my living room (I was forced to move my htpc back into my office when I moved recently).

If anyone gives this a shot, please let me know your thoughts.

Tuningmaster
01-14-08, 10:08 AM
I know we discussed this in the past, but today it has been released.

http://www.hartware.de/press_7778.html

I am not currently running Linux on my PS3, but will gladly install it if this thing works well with no noticeable lag. At the very least, I would love to access my emulation library in my living room (I was forced to move my htpc back into my office when I moved recently).

If anyone gives this a shot, please let me know your thoughts.

What the freak? will that really work?

Mr. Hunt
01-14-08, 10:20 AM
Seems very interesting and if it worked well, I might partake.

Tuningmaster
01-14-08, 10:22 AM
Crysis on the PS3? lol I would like to see that one.

nekrosoft13
01-14-08, 10:23 AM
this basically plays the game on PC, while streaming picture to the console. catches set amount of frames and sends to the console. I can image it will lag quite a bit

Tuningmaster
01-14-08, 10:32 AM
this basically plays the game on PC, while streaming picture to the console. catches set amount of frames and sends to the console. I can image it will lag quite a bit

Well whats the point then. That sucks.

CaptNKILL
01-14-08, 10:45 AM
I used it to play STALKER a few months ago. It was freaking amazing!

STALKER was smooth as butter on an Athlon XP 2Ghz and a 9600 Pro because it was streaming it over LAN from my main rig. It was even playable on my Atari ITX system using a 2.4Ghz P4 and 8Mb intel integrated video (the video playback skipped a lot though because the integrated chip sucks ass).

It looks great too. Its basically the best AA you can imagine at 640x480. With the registered version you can use any resolution you want, its just limited by the bandwidth of the network and the specs of your PCs.

I really could not believe how well this works. There is ZERO lag and the games play exactly like they do on the host computer. Its funny seeing STALKER play itself on my computer though. You can even use the controls on both systems, like if someone is stuck and can't get by something you can sit at the host PC and play that part for them seamlessly.

For what its worth, I don't see a whole lot of use for this since you still need a fast enough PC to host the game (and that PC will be busy running the game as long as the client is playing) but if you have an HTPC set up in your living room and don't feel like moving your gaming rig out there to play a game on your home theater system this should work perfectly. I guess an added bonus is that its great for multitasking and its relatively problem free. Playing a game will only use a few Mb of ram since its just a video, and as long as the program itself works and the game works on the host system you don't have to worry about updating drivers, installing or tweaking the game to work on another PC.

|MaguS|
01-14-08, 10:45 AM
Well its not onlt the PS3 but can work for any system with a web browser technically. It allows you to have a great PC and a weaker laptop and when away from home you can play Crysis on the laptop that normally wouldn't be able to run it.

The novelty is there but who knows how well it works, its basically a slingbox for PC Games.

nekrosoft13, i don't believe its images rather then a video with remote input capabilities.

christos
01-14-08, 11:09 AM
For those who have tried this, would I be able to do something such as launch Meedio (a HTPC frontend) which then launches individual emulator exe's depending on what I choose in the menu I set up...all via streaming?

I'm getting tempted to try this out now as I am home today. How quickly can I get linux setup and installed on my ps3?

Bman212121
01-15-08, 12:23 AM
I've tried it a little on a lan and it seemed to work fine. I'm not sure how well playing an FPS might be over the net, but if your playing something a little slower paced it might run a lot better.

Thingding
01-15-08, 04:32 AM
Maybe it's just me but i'm have a nightmare getting this to run. Has anyone tried it with games that have a launcher? I'm not sure it likes them.

The idea behind this is brilliant, especially as a person who has one great pc and another average one. i can finally game at my desk and get into all those rts's i've been missing out on.

Tho the next question is exactly how much resource does it need to constantly encode and stream video? I'm guessing it's a fair bit.

Wouldn't be expecting 60fps.

Marvel_us
01-15-08, 07:22 AM
I'm guessing this is similar to how remote play works on psp? Not really that interesting in formatting my hdd though. I'll pass for now.

CaptNKILL
01-15-08, 07:36 AM
Maybe it's just me but i'm have a nightmare getting this to run. Has anyone tried it with games that have a launcher? I'm not sure it likes them.

The idea behind this is brilliant, especially as a person who has one great pc and another average one. i can finally game at my desk and get into all those rts's i've been missing out on.

Tho the next question is exactly how much resource does it need to constantly encode and stream video? I'm guessing it's a fair bit.

Wouldn't be expecting 60fps.
STALKER was butter smooth on my system running at 2048x1536. I was very surprised.

Still, it was only encoding at 640x480 since I was using the free version. It probably takes significantly more resources to encode at "HD" resolutions.

ViN86
01-15-08, 09:16 AM
QFT

it claims it supports massive resolutions. idk how the hell it can do that. maybe you need to be home on a gigabit network. :confused:

Lyme
01-15-08, 11:12 AM
STALKER was butter smooth on my system running at 2048x1536. I was very surprised.

Still, it was only encoding at 640x480 since I was using the free version. It probably takes significantly more resources to encode at "HD" resolutions.

Isn't that test kind of like checking the quality of a 3d tv with only one eye open?

Not only is encoding at 640x480 slightly more than 10x less screen area, it is also 10x less bandwidth that needs to be used, and 10x less graphics for the ps3 to recomposite. Effectively you have set stalker at 640x480, and at least to me, streaming a game from my pc at that resolution isn't very impressive.

note: My thoughts on the test, do not reflect how the product "may" perform during more robust testing.

nrdstrm
01-16-08, 09:39 PM
I am VERY curios to see people's impressions on this when used with the PS3...It would be nice to play on my 42" TV (at 1440x900 though since that is what my monitor supports). This is the main reason I would install Linux on my PS3, so I think I will wait and see how others do with it...Keep it coming guys...