PDA

View Full Version : 9800X2 not for the ordianry joe

Pages : [1] 2

ASUSEN7900GTX
01-14-08, 04:23 PM
well look at these

We've heard that Geforce 9800 GX2 dual G92 dual chip sandwich design will end up as expensive as 8800 Ultra if not even more.

The price is not final but this looks like an expensive piece of marchitecture. You are talking about two 8800GTS boards glued together, along with an expensive cooler and of course Nvidia wants to get some profits out of it.

You should be looking at $600 and probably even more for such a card as when we do the math it ends up it will likely be $700+ product in retail but this depends on the territory.

700+$ in sweden about 6-7K and i thought iīd sell my 8800GTS640 G80 and buy me a monster now it is a dream so far fetched that it isnīt gonna happen.

itīs for the rich folks not for me thatīs for sure well might as well get me a G92 guess HD3870X2 isnīt gonna be in my range either:( :( :(

Feyy
01-14-08, 05:07 PM
Since when have the upcoming top-end cards been for the ordinary joe's anyway?

methimpikehoses
01-14-08, 05:11 PM
this card is only for teh |33+.

CaptNKILL
01-14-08, 05:14 PM
$600? Is that all?

My 8800GTX cost me a little more than that on launch day.

The 8800 Ultra was around $800 I think.

Tuork
01-14-08, 05:22 PM
Since when have the upcoming top-end cards been for the ordinary joe's anyway?

Precisely. Top of the line hardware is not for a random casual gamer, unless you just happen to be pretty well loaded.

That's why it's called 'High-end'.

ASUSEN7900GTX
01-14-08, 05:24 PM
well 8800GTS G80 640mb was a "high end" it wasnīt all that expensive that was the GTX nad ULTRA and this is too cost more tahn a ultra canītwo GTS g92 be bougt cheeaper for SLi?

LORD-eX-Bu
01-14-08, 06:16 PM
what'd you expect it was gonna cost? $300 :rofl

brady
01-14-08, 06:25 PM
So just buy a GTS now and then add another one when you can afford. Should perform close to a 9800GX2. You just won't be able to quad sli.

JasonPC
01-14-08, 06:29 PM
An earlier article said the target price was $450, but I don't believe that. $500-$600 does sound more like it.

Tuningmaster
01-14-08, 06:30 PM
You just won't be able to quad sli.

Seeing as Nvidia still has yet to work out all the kinks with 2 cards I really do not think anyone needs to worry about Quad SLI. This **** is getting a bit ridiculous anyway, I mean 4 GPU's just to play a damn game? LOL.

ASUSEN7900GTX
01-15-08, 01:34 AM
well i heard that Fudzilla wasnīt the most reliable source of information so mybe i was abit hars but ir eally did want that card as it acccording to Fudzilla beat the HD3870X2 then again there ainīt no real tests showing those two head to head thing is i have a P5B-Deluxe and canīt go Sli

Dreamingawake
01-15-08, 01:38 AM
Seeing as Nvidia still has yet to work out all the kinks with 2 cards I really do not think anyone needs to worry about Quad SLI. This **** is getting a bit ridiculous anyway, I mean 4 GPU's just to play a damn game? LOL.

I agree. 1 should be plenty fine. Especially with the next round of Cpu's and Gpu's coming out..

And besides Crysis there's nothing out there to even really push what we have now.

marqmajere
01-15-08, 02:14 AM
Wait a while for the price to drop on those. Who said you had to buy one the day it comes out? I suppose if you live with mommy and daddy, you can afford one right away. Those of us who have bills and kids can just hold on for a bit longer. :)

Treason
01-15-08, 02:15 AM
Just a reminder that the majority of this fan site are hardware enthusiasts who can and will buy the latest and greatest regardless of the price. They can do this by constantly cycling their parts before it depreciates in market price.

Remember that the highest end video card share is an exclusive group of 1-2% of the entire world market. The vast vast majority of profits and share are made from people like you and me "ordinary joes" buying mid to low to integrated solutions.

stefan9
01-15-08, 02:39 AM
Just budget and save so you can afford the new high end card. When they come out it usually isn't a surprise. We have anticipated them for months so more than enough time to get the cash needed.

Revs
01-15-08, 02:46 AM
It's gonna have to priced similarly to the ATI X2 card I think, which should be quite reasonable.

CAUTION
01-15-08, 05:56 AM
It's gonna have to priced similarly to the ATI X2 card I think, which should be quite reasonable.

I hope your right, because I will not pay 800 bucks on a video card.

walterman
01-15-08, 06:05 AM
I hope your right, because I will not pay 800 bucks on a video card.

You're lucky. We pay 900$ US here in Europe for your 600$ video cards.

Tuningmaster
01-15-08, 07:58 AM
I agree. 1 should be plenty fine. Especially with the next round of Cpu's and Gpu's coming out..

And besides Crysis there's nothing out there to even really push what we have now.

Exactly, tri and quad sli and all that bs just gives devs an excuse to be lazy and puts more money into the pockets of nvidia.

There is no reason at all why a single $600.00 high end GPU shouldnt be able to handle any thing out there, no reason at all.

walterman
01-15-08, 08:02 AM
There is no reason at all why a single $600.00 high end GPU shouldnt be able to handle any thing out there, no reason at all.

Unoptimized/overloaded/overrated software.

Tuningmaster
01-15-08, 08:06 AM
Unoptimized/overloaded/overrated software.

Exactly and im getting sick of it. I have a PS3 on its way right now and this will be the first console that I have owned in a good long while. I may be slowly slipping away from PC gaming.

I am selling my Q6600 on ebay and it looks like I will fetch at least $250.00, I am replacing it with an E4300 that I got for $80.00 bucks and I will overclock the hell out of it.

I have been disappointed with all the hype in Quad, Crysis was promised to be the reason to upgrade to a Quad and look what happened?

I will pick up another Quad one day down the road when it actually becomes worth it for gaming, in the mean time I will enjoy overclocking the heck out of that little E4300 and getting the same performance in gaming as that of my Q6600.

Tr1cK
01-15-08, 08:53 AM
The only gripe I've had with my system is that I went with the 320mb 8800. So what, I can't run 4x AA with Ultra textures. 4x AA with High texturing is still awesome looking at 1680x1050. My little E4300 has been solid as a rock at 3.0 on air with whisper quiet fans. I could probably get more out of it with a better motherboard and cranking the fan, but it's good for now.

Requiring quad-cores, tri-SLI, and 4gb of RAM is just absurd. I'm 100% positive that better coding can be employed in games that require such. The problem is that developers are rushing everything to market to make the $$ instead of optimizing it for end user experience.

hirantha
01-15-08, 09:00 AM
I know no matter what we say it all depends on the benchmarks, cost don't matter if it performs well.

Tuningmaster
01-15-08, 09:25 AM
Requiring quad-cores, tri-SLI, and 4gb of RAM is just absurd. I'm 100% positive that better coding can be employed in games that require such. The problem is that developers are rushing everything to market to make the $$ instead of optimizing it for end user experience.

Very true and I could not agree more about the coding. I am looking forward to overclocking that E4300, at $80 bucks its the best bang for the buck that you could ask for in a CPU and if my Q6600 sells for $250 which I am pretty confident at this point that it will then I will get every dime back that I paid for it. lol.

I have a Tuniq Tower so I plan to torture the hell out of that poor little E4300. :D

Later down the road when Quad core becomes worth it I can pick up another one for probably less than $200.00. Either way I win.

Tr1cK
01-15-08, 09:26 AM
FWIW, I'm using a Tuniq Tower. It's turned down to barely audible.

My sig spec is a link to PC pics also.