PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Ward: Why companies don't make PC games anymore

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lyme
01-15-08, 12:04 PM
http://fourzerotwo.blogspot.com/
They Wonder Why People Don't Make PC Games Any More

On another PC related note, we pulled some disturbing numbers this past week about the amount of PC players currently playing Multiplayer (which was fantastic). What wasn't fantastic was the percentage of those numbers who were playing on stolen copies of the game on stolen / cracked CD keys of pirated copies (and that was only people playing online).

Not sure if I can share the exact numbers or percentage of PC players with you, but I'll check and see; if I can I'll update with them. As the amount of people who pirate PC games is astounding. It blows me away at the amount of people willing to steal games (or anything) simply because it's not physical or it's on the safety of the internet to do.

Sad isn't it.

Severian126
01-15-08, 12:12 PM
Yup it is. The issue of piracy has been discussed to death, but that doesn't make it any less relevant. If PC gamers keep on wondering why developers are deviating towards consoles, this is one of the biggest reasons. They're not being paid for their efforts.

Say "thank you" to the dick****s. No amount of excuses will ever make it right. You want it? You buy it. Simple. If PC developers move towards consoles, pirates have no right whatsoever to bitch and moan.

Tr1cK
01-15-08, 12:16 PM
It's really astounding the idiocy of game developers.

Take Blizzard as a prime example of how to not have piracy. 9 million accounts and not a single one of them is a stolen copy. It won't work. The same with any game that uses anything more than a stupid CD-key only authorization.

Steam is a step in the right direction for legal content for non-MMO.

nekrosoft13
01-15-08, 12:19 PM

Take Blizzard as a prime example of how to not have piracy. 9 million accounts and not a single one of them is a stolen copy. It won't work. The same with any game that uses anything more than a stupid CD-key only authorization.

true, copy protections (securom, tages, starforce etc..) will not help. you need online authorization.

JohnDio
01-15-08, 12:32 PM
Online Authentication is the way to go. Simply put, every PC developer should use this protection method and stop complaining. And keep in mind that a lot of consoles games are pirated too ;)

Tr1cK
01-15-08, 12:32 PM
Another point is that consoles don't have the hacks and cheats like PCs do.

true, copy protections (securom, tages, starforce etc..) will not help. you need online authorization.
Not to mention they won't have to pay any fees to said protection schemes.

nemecb
01-15-08, 01:09 PM
Not hard to believe unfortunately. I think I posted this somewhere else too, but I heard on a podcast that the Crysis devs checked a popular piracy site and there were something like 14000 people downloading it, and at that time it had only sold about 86000 legit copies. *sigh*

Tr1cK
01-15-08, 01:13 PM
Not hard to believe unfortunately. I think I posted this somewhere else too, but I heard on a podcast that the Crysis devs checked a popular piracy site and there were something like 14000 people downloading it, and at that time it had only sold about 86000 legit copies. *sigh*
People actually play Crysis MP?

|MaguS|
01-15-08, 01:16 PM
This just in Call of Duty 5 will be console exclusive! :p

Noriega
01-15-08, 01:32 PM
But theres more sad thing. People buy console games and pay for Live and MP on consoles is still shi*

CaptNKILL
01-15-08, 01:34 PM

Agreed.

Most people who pirate do so because its relatively easy and there are no direct consequences.

If it was just plain impossible, they wouldn't do it.

It's not rocket science really. I'm surprised more developers aren't using a Steam-like system to activate their games. I know its harder with single player games, but they could aways make ways for people to do it over the phone if they don't have the internet for some reason.

Monolyth
01-15-08, 02:19 PM
Online auth is the only way to go to prevent pirating, HOWEVER, that being said there are still ways around it. Private server patches, VPN clients, etc. Technically speaking you can pirate WoW and play on a private server, but what is the fun in that, it's like going through a game in God mode, pretty lame IMHO.

On the topic of consoles: let me hookup whatever Mouse/Keyboard I want and have it all work as I want on a console and I'll be fine using that for FPS, since I'm not staring at the scenery during a CoD4 match, I honestly wouldn't care if the textures were "consolized".

I think WoW would be a great addition to PS3/X360, just code support for standard USB keyboard/mouse and your gtg. Since WoW does not take an overly beefy system Blizzard could significantly increase their user-base (and profits). :)

SeriTonin
01-15-08, 02:23 PM

Completely agree.

Problem is, most developers don't want to use any extra resources or spend any extra time incorporating something like this. They'd rather just release it on console and not worry.

But you're absolutely right, Blizzard has shown you can still be insanely successful in the pc market, you just need to actually take some precautions to the piracy.

This guy from Infinity Ward is basically crying that people are stealing from his store, but he won't put in metal detectors.

Lyme
01-15-08, 02:46 PM
This guy from Infinity Ward is basically crying that people are stealing from his store, but he won't put in metal detectors.

They did put in metal detectors, both using CD keys and protected disc's. Just think, Bioshock put in the kind of system you agree with, and all the crap that came out of that.

It is probably easier for developers to skip PC releases and deal with the community complaining about that, rather than put in robust copy protections and deal with the failed cases due to that.

Severian126
01-15-08, 02:48 PM
I think it's kind of ironic that most people are saying it's ok to use online authentication for non-MMOs, but I remember all fuss that was made when Bioshock implemented it.

crainger
01-15-08, 03:06 PM
I think it's kind of ironic that most people are saying it's ok to use online authentication for non-MMOs, but I remember all fuss that was made when Bioshock implemented it.

Because their servers crashed and most couldn't activate. Online activation is great. When it works.

Samduhman
01-15-08, 03:10 PM

I LOL'd at this because I remember that blow up.

I think the devs/pub are being lazy and they fail. :thumbdwn: Just excuses to make cross platform versions of games which mean pc gamers get denutted versions of whatever game because the consoles specs fall behind pc specs within a year of release. The big publishers are just worried about the bottom line. They find that by putting the game out on as many platforms as possible. Large corporations are ruining pc gaming.

If devs have stopped making games for pcs how come I have such a huge backlog from last year? ;)

Im confused? I can't play COD4 online without it authenticating. So how is this possible people are playing online with pirate copies? Is the authentication so weak a fake cd key works?

Edit after rereading it.....................

And I rather chew nails than play COD4 on my PS3 and 1080p tv. Some games are just better on the pc.

Pirates suck. If any of you guys are pirates stop the ****. You can usually pick most pc games up at great ($30 to $40) prices within a few weeks of release either through retail sales or websites like gogamer. Your actions will drive us to paying $60 for the same console title when "People Don't Make PC Games Any More".

nekrosoft13
01-15-08, 03:14 PM

i really start to like steam, but problem with steam is that retail games are rarelly steam ready.

i want to be able to buy bioshock in store, and the game to be steam compatible.

problem with bioshock even after so called activation, it still required the disc, if it was on steam, no disc required.

Monolyth
01-15-08, 03:25 PM
I LOL'd at this because I remember that blow up.

I think the devs/pub are being lazy and they fail. :thumbdwn: Just excuses to make cross platform versions of games which mean pc gamers get denutted versions of whatever game because the consoles specs fall behind pc specs within a year of release. The big publishers are just worried about the bottom line. They find that by putting the game out on as many platforms as possible. Large corporations are ruining pc gaming.

If devs have stopped making games for pcs how come I have such a huge backlog from last year? ;)

Im confused? I can't play COD4 online without it authenticating. So how is this possible people are playing online with pirate copies? Is the authentication so weak a fake cd key works?

Private Servers, many still list out in the game, but they are using modified binaries to prevent "calling home" with user info.

The problem with BioShock was simple they were attempting to verify installations. I would say an even better method would be to follow BioWare's system for NWN/NWN2. That is you register your key and then create a login/pass (ala Blizzard). BioShock DID NOT do this and bound you to a stupid installation count limit.

Honestly MS should approach this same issue w/authentication, let us link an account w/MS with our Auth Keys for various MS products so that I can manage my "registered" installations. That way if I need to move Vista from box A to box B, or I need to reformat, etc. I don't have to screw around with calling someone in India named "Bob". I just login to my MS Account and I can disable the install on one box and re-enable it on another. Someone willing to register their information is not someone that will be pirating your software, the issue is that companies don't trust their customers. Heck force the user to re-login to their account at least once every 30-60 days to reverify the stuff on their box.

I'm not an expert on these kinds of things, but there's loads of things that are better then using protection systems and complex authentication systems that follow the path of "distrust" rather then one of trust.

Samduhman
01-15-08, 03:34 PM
Hold on a minute. Correct me if Im wrong but this blog and website is from one guy??? Check out his game collection. He's not much of a pc gamer. Much more so a console gamer and even more so a Xbox 360 gamer. I CRY FOUL! :lame: I dont care if he works at Infinityward/activision. Consoler pushing an agenda.

Also wanted to add isn't the PS3 and 360 nothing more that what I call "dedicated gaming pcs"? They've been scooping up more and more pc specs with each generation when the pc has a bowel movement. IMHO the pc has won and consoles are dying. Nintendo is the consoles only hope.

poullos
01-15-08, 04:00 PM
Maybe it's not just pirates. I remember oblivion had a rather easy security and besides the heavy pirating it sold really well. It's not always the case of piracy. COD lame way of allowing not authenticated copies playing online is something infinity ward has to rethink imo.

example:
-COD 4 is out. Let's pirate it!
-meh, what's the point? We can't play it online.
-You can! On cracked servers!
-Really!!! Let's pirate it then.

I like steam too mainly because valve is my preferred developer, because it doesn't need any cds, the platform has matured and is very stable now with lots of features like community, and the prices are a steal for someone like me buying in US rates from here. :)

Noriega
01-15-08, 04:21 PM
I think GTLegends was never cracked why other games don't use this starforce?

CaptNKILL
01-15-08, 04:34 PM
i really start to like steam, but problem with steam is that retail games are rarelly steam ready.

i want to be able to buy bioshock in store, and the game to be steam compatible.

problem with bioshock even after so called activation, it still required the disc, if it was on steam, no disc required.
I agree with this 100%.

Valve should offer Steam as a copy protection system rather than just a place to purchase games.

zoomy942
01-15-08, 04:41 PM
we all need to remember that we are the minority. people that know how to hack games, i mean.

i, for example, could easily crack a pc game that i pirated if i wanted to, but i choose to buy games beacsue i dont want them to go away. but people like me, and most members here, are a distinct minority. most normal consumers have no idea what a no-cd crack is.

mumstheword
01-15-08, 05:01 PM
I like to see independent numbers and analysis on the effect of piracy on sales before believing a few sentences on a blog.

Not sure if I can share the exact numbers or percentage of PC players with you, but I'll check and see; if I can I'll update with them. As the amount of people who pirate PC games is astounding. It blows me away at the amount of people willing to steal games (or anything) simply because it's not physical or it's on the safety of the internet to do.

Sure bud. Can't wait for those confidential numbers.