PDA

View Full Version : Any drawbacks to buying COD4 on Steam

war_child
01-16-08, 06:58 PM
Not sure if I should buy the CD set or just purchase COD4 off steam.
Thanks for your opinions

nekrosoft13
01-16-08, 06:59 PM
only drawback would be having to download 5-7gb.

Severian126
01-16-08, 07:06 PM
I would prefer steam. The box/CD takes up room, and playing with a CD is meh. Of course the download sucks, but if you leave your PC on overnight to download, it isn't much of an issue unless you are REALLY impatient. :)

stevemedes
01-16-08, 07:14 PM
You wouldnt have a backup copy unless you burnt it onto DVD. And it'd need to be a dual layer dvd which are expensive.

rudedog
01-16-08, 07:22 PM
So far the only draw backs I've seen is the slight delay in patches to hit the online distro versions of CoD4.

You can't apply the regular patches IW releases to steam and the other download services, you need their patch(s).

However it has gotten much better with the latest patch(s) - 1.4 but still lags a bit

breathemetal
01-16-08, 07:38 PM
Bleh, steam...

Just buy it. You have it forever, and you dont have to worry about backing anything up or downloading anything.

$n][pErMan
01-16-08, 08:10 PM
If its the same price... might as well get something physical for your money like a DVD :)

saguy
01-17-08, 06:37 AM
I have not checked, but I am fairly sure that it will be more expensive on Steam as almost all their other games are.

SH64
01-17-08, 07:25 AM
The game is so good that you must have the DVD version.

Ninjaman09
01-17-08, 09:16 AM
I have not checked, but I am fairly sure that it will be more expensive on Steam as almost all their other games are.
Steam's prices are all normal retail MSRP, what are you talking about? I bought it from Steam during the 10% off discount they were doing right after Christmas.

It works great, I'm glad I did. It's no trouble to back up and if I wasn't able to for some reason it only takes about 3-4 hours to download, not a big deal really.

LordJuanlo
01-17-08, 09:43 AM
Why so much hate to Steam?. It works flawlessly, I have Steam since the launch of Half Life 2 and later I have bought a lot of games from Steam. I have yet to find a problem.

If you buy the physical DVD disk you own it forever... until it scrathes or gets damaged or lost. However through Steam the games are attached to your Steam account forever, you can install it on multiple PCs (as long as only one of them is active), and you can make a DVD backup for future use if your have a slow internet connection. And no, you don't need a DVD9, Steam can split the backup into multiple disks.

Oh, and the best feature, did I mention you don't need to insert the game disk to play?

K-1
01-18-08, 01:19 AM
I kind of wish I had bought the Steam version, not needing a disc to play single player is a huge plus for me. If you live in the US though, I would suggest buying the retail copy at Circuit City (or off their site, free shipping!), they have it for 20% off right now.

wysiwyg
01-18-08, 04:55 AM
it was more expensive from steam than at a retail shop

i got the collectors edition from game uk for 24

saguy
01-18-08, 10:26 AM
Steam's prices are all normal retail MSRP, what are you talking about? I bought it from Steam during the 10% off discount they were doing right after Christmas.

It works great, I'm glad I did. It's no trouble to back up and if I wasn't able to for some reason it only takes about 3-4 hours to download, not a big deal really.Recommended retail price, but hardly any retailers sell at this price. So you are telling me that if you see 2 of the same products side by side you will pay more for the one at the recommended retail price rather than the one that is 20% cheaper.

More money than sense.

hirantha
01-18-08, 11:21 AM
ok now does steam save purchases for years to come? you can download the same file in 5 years of time? if so maybe thats why Steam is more expensive than the retail version.

conroejoe
01-18-08, 11:26 AM
The box/CD takes up room, and playing with a CD is meh.

MP doesn't need the disk to be in the drive. Never has.

LordJuanlo
01-18-08, 11:51 AM
Not in CoD4 multi, but it's needed in single player mode, and in other games.

Ninjaman09
01-18-08, 12:20 PM
Recommended retail price, but hardly any retailers sell at this price. So you are telling me that if you see 2 of the same products side by side you will pay more for the one at the recommended retail price rather than the one that is 20% cheaper.

More money than sense.
I see you're pretty dumb, so I'll spell it out for you.

Call of Duty 4 (PC) costs $50 at Best Buy. It costs $50 on Steam. I bought it during an after-Christmas sale for $45, which was cheaper than Best Buy's $50. And yes, retailers generally sell software at MSRP, although occasionally big titles will be on sale at a discount shortly after their release. Unfortunately I missed the release for CoD4 and bought it after this discount period (assuming there was one).

I generally don't buy software from online retailers because shipping costs end up nullifying any initial price discounts.

LycosV
01-18-08, 01:52 PM
The major drawback is not physically haveing the game. If you have the game disc you've got it forever. If you have a copy on steam you don't.

war_child
01-18-08, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies I found a coupon and picked it up for 39.99.
Game is a lot of fun by the way