PDA

View Full Version : Another watercooling newb thread....for me :)

Pages : [1] 2 3

MUYA
01-16-08, 08:30 PM
I just purchased a Silverstone TJ-10 case! Man its sweet! Had a few problems transferring gear into the new case but, its done! :afro:

Lapped the CPU now, cleaned the Zalman 9700 and my 8800 GTX. Temps I am getting now are sweet! I was getting close to 7X degrees C before the lapping job overclocked to 3 GHZ. Now its like 5X degrees C! But the most incredible thing for me has been my GPU temps, they were like 7X degrees C when Idle and approaching 90 degrees C when loaded! Now its 6X degrees C when Idle and approaching 80 degrees C when loaded! SWEET! :D

However, I need lower temperatures and a quieter operation! Therefore I would like some water cooling guide and recommendations on products if you guys can indulge me a bit! Bear in mind, I would like to watercool my E4400 (will get penryn quad core next) and 8800 GTX. I can get 1/2 inch ID water cooling gear.

Now, I have the option of getting some brackets ala http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=radsupport09&area=
That will allow me to mount 2X 120 MM radiator.

For the radiator and due to local availability, I will get a HWlabs Black Ice GTX 240 one as I only have one option. The other is the old Black ice radiator.

But the rest, I need your all your feedback and opinions on what to get. All parts are or can be 1/2 inch ID. Point is, I may water cool both CPU and GPU. Would the components listed below allow it? No pressure drops or funny business?

The choices for CPU block are;
Swiftech Apogee GT - USD $110
Dangerden MC-TDX - USD $120+
Enzotech Sapphire SCW-1 - USD $100
Dtek Fuzion - USD $110

Pumps (all D.C) available are;
Swiftech MCP650 - USD$100
Laing pump (dunno model number but shovels a lot of water) - USD $100

Reservoirs; Dunno which to choose, they have Danger Den's 5 and 1.4 inch bay reservoir and a funny bong type style one? Which would be better?

I will order fluid XP from the US :)

GPU block will be the danger den 8800GTX as thats the only one available

As as footnote, maybe I might (fickle I know) not get a GPU block, as new products from NV are around the corner!

Any help/comments/suggestions welcome and appreciated!!!

LORD-eX-Bu
01-16-08, 08:44 PM
everything looks good, I would get the dtek fuzion!! :D

congrats on the great case!

I don't like the silverstone radiator bracket... I just went to Home Depot and got some 2.5" corner brackets and they fit perfectly... it also gives me more options for what radiator I can use up there. Seeing as how you don't really have Home Depot over there you may not have that option heh..

for the res I would definately go with a swiftech mcres-1000 if you can get a hold of one. Mounts very nicely to the top of the vga fan.
you'll be good with either pump..

the reason you want a res is that it is alot easier to bleed than a loop with a t-line and fillport.. t-lines do come in handy but can be a PITA as well.

instead of buying fluid XP why don't you purchase a gallon or so of distilled water and prepare your own coolant?

stncttr908
01-16-08, 08:49 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but THERE IS A FREAKIN' RAD ADAPTER?!? WTF! I hope this is something new.

Nice choices, BTW. Another vote for the D-Tek.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-16-08, 10:19 PM
thats gotta suck, my head would explode if my loop sprung a leak..

MUYA
01-17-08, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the advice so far....so more please :D

Serrasalmus
01-17-08, 07:49 AM
im using all koolance gear and it works great for me my exos is even version 1

MUYA
01-17-08, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately I cannot get any Koolance gear locally

Serrasalmus
01-17-08, 08:01 AM
bummer on the koolance gear

LORD-eX-Bu
01-17-08, 12:38 PM
dangerden spam bot :POKE:

LORD-eX-Bu
01-17-08, 09:53 PM
no, we are all just spam bots in general :p

Slammin
01-17-08, 11:27 PM
Guy at last LAN I went to pack up early and left due to a nice leak that fried his stuff . . .I have had many many leaks with FluidXP and NEVER lost a piece of hardware. People can talk crap all they want . . .I have experience backing up my choices. I do have one DI rig . . .but most are FluidXP.

Many leaks?

I've bult about 6 watercooled rigs, some quite elaborate, and never had a leak.

I don't do anything special. I use the metal worm clams, tie wraps, the c-clamps you crimp on, really, nothing too special but I've never had a leak.

I don't have anything against FluidXP either so the next time I re-do or build a new WC rig, I'll probably use it just because I'm hoping that over time, it does not gunk up, like some of my rigs do when I don't use the exact mixture of Hydrox, antifreeze, or whatever, I need to prevent that stuff.

Leaks=bad install..... No offense intended.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-17-08, 11:29 PM
well, he does seem to use alot of custom components in his loops so to his credit he does take a bigger risk when it comes to stuff failing :)

never had a leak either.. worm drive hose clamps and teflon tape ftw! :D

Slammin
01-17-08, 11:41 PM
Muya,

Your choices look good but get the MCP655 instead of the 650 because it is adjustable, letting you adjust noise, though even with the 655 at the max 5 setting, if you have it sitting on foam, you'd not be able to hear it, but being adjustable is nice.

I think the Fuzion with nozzles is probably the way to go too. I had a Storm before this Fuzion. The Fuzion dropped my max temp by over 10c.

A res is nice in that your rig will bleed quicker, but I've used a res before. I only use t-lines now. A res really only means more connections in the long run, and sometimes they can add more noise if they gurgle/bubble (like any good girl should), so if you need that, gofer it.

If you are going for silence, just add as much RAD as you can, using very quiet/slow fans, of course.

The more rad=the more cooling surface, and as long as at least some air moves across the cooling surface, you get cooling. You can actually add so much cooling surface (rads) that you would'nt even need fans, but you'd most likely need to add those rads externally.

Both my rads are internal and I have 1200rpm nexus fans on them running at 900-1200 rpm. Even at 1200 rpm, they are silent. I use the mobo fan headers to regulate the speed based on temperatures.

Slammin
01-17-08, 11:46 PM
well, he does seem to use alot of custom components in his loops so to his credit he does take a bigger risk when it comes to stuff failing :)

never had a leak either.. worm drive hose clamps and teflon tape ftw! :D

Hah, he's doing stuff I'm way too scared, and broke to even attempt! :D

I would like to get into phase, tec's etc., but I just cannot afford to go there right now because I'm not that certain I can w/o some casualties :-/

MUYA
01-20-08, 12:54 AM
Guys, which do you think it better cpu block? Dtek fuzion? or the swiftetch Apogee GT?

LORD-eX-Bu
01-20-08, 12:55 AM
D-tek Fuzion :D

nozzle'd ftw!

MUYA
01-20-08, 12:58 AM
OK D-Tek it is. Been hearing it is good performance wise and good to use gor multi component cooling. I will be getting to setup the CPU for water cooling first.

I will wait till q2 to water cool my GPU well because, I do think investing to cool my 8800 GTX is worth since, there are new GPUs going to come out soon! 9800GX2? or 3870X2 etc etc...

LORD-eX-Bu
01-20-08, 01:03 AM
congrats, the first time it is a little overwhealming but if you plan everything out before hand it'l come out great.

Seeing how there are many people here with watercooled rigs using the same case that you are you shouldn't have too much trouble finding good advice :D

are you going to mount your radiator internally or externally?

MUYA
01-20-08, 09:03 AM
congrats, the first time it is a little overwhealming but if you plan everything out before hand it'l come out great.

Seeing how there are many people here with watercooled rigs using the same case that you are you shouldn't have too much trouble finding good advice :D

are you going to mount your radiator internally or externally?
Internaly bud

how have u done it? Any pictures?

MUYA
01-20-08, 09:10 AM
Muya,

Your choices look good but get the MCP655 instead of the 650 because it is adjustable, letting you adjust noise, though even with the 655 at the max 5 setting, if you have it sitting on foam, you'd not be able to hear it, but being adjustable is nice.

I think the Fuzion with nozzles is probably the way to go too. I had a Storm before this Fuzion. The Fuzion dropped my max temp by over 10c.

A res is nice in that your rig will bleed quicker, but I've used a res before. I only use t-lines now. A res really only means more connections in the long run, and sometimes they can add more noise if they gurgle/bubble (like any good girl should), so if you need that, gofer it.

If you are going for silence, just add as much RAD as you can, using very quiet/slow fans, of course.

The more rad=the more cooling surface, and as long as at least some air moves across the cooling surface, you get cooling. You can actually add so much cooling surface (rads) that you would'nt even need fans, but you'd most likely need to add those rads externally.

Both my rads are internal and I have 1200rpm nexus fans on them running at 900-1200 rpm. Even at 1200 rpm, they are silent. I use the mobo fan headers to regulate the speed based on temperatures.

Nozzles? Do they come with the block? NEver heard of a nozzle? Dunno if I can get it here?

I will be getting the swfitech 655 though :)

conroejoe
01-20-08, 09:13 AM
Internaly bud

Here is my setup.
D-Tek Fusion (hardmount with backplate, no bowing or nozzle kit)
Swiftech MCW60
Thermochill PA120.2
MCP655 (full speed)
Masterkleer 3/4"OD-1/2"ID

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4461/img4736ds1.jpg

LORD-eX-Bu
01-20-08, 11:39 AM
Internaly bud

lemme dig up the instructions.. I have em somewhere, sent em to zerocool too.

EDIT: YGPM :)

mullet
01-20-08, 01:13 PM
Here is my setup.
D-Tek Fusion (hardmount with backplate, no bowing or nozzle kit)
Swiftech MCW60
Thermochill PA120.2
MCP655 (full speed)
Masterkleer 3/4"OD-1/2"ID

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4461/img4736ds1.jpg

Damn dude, thats pretty clean!! Is your Q6600 a G0 stepping? what are your temps Idle & Load?

conroejoe
01-20-08, 06:17 PM
Damn dude, thats pretty clean!! Is your Q6600 a G0 stepping? what are your temps Idle & Load?

thanks, its a B3. The chip does over 3.7 Prime stable but it gets hot. 3.6 @ 1.44v, load is 61c/61c/56/56 core, 52 surface temps. Idle is mid 30's for all 4 cores. The chip is lapped too.

Does 3.2 @ 1.35v, 3.45 @ 1.38v, 3.6 @ 1.44v, 3.7 @ 1.52v. All prime stable. She's a good chip.

Not too bad for a single PA120.2 and fans @ 40 CFM :) I can bump them to 90CFM, it's loud but temps drop about 5 deg per core. Also, the GTX is flashed to the speeds in my sig. I could use a PA120.3 might do it in the future.

Slammin
01-20-08, 09:36 PM
That is a VERY nice build you did there.

That's the only nice thing I will ever say to/about you too! :D