PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Witcher...

Loreman
01-17-08, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

Was considering picking up this game as I haven't played a decent RPG in ages. Had a few questions to see if I will like it.

I like hardcore RPG's that require a lot of strategy and management of equipment and spells to defeat encounters.

I loved all the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games.

I loved all of the Neverwinter Nights games.

I didn't like Oblivion, it was way to easy and streamlined.

I don't like click, click, click action games like Diablo or Titan quest.

I want an RPG to have some encounters that are near impossible without forming some sort of plan of attack.

Will I like the Witcher?

nutcrackr
01-17-08, 08:17 PM
Maybe

The witcher has some hard battles, I guess you should just play on hard mode where you need to use alchemy. The game really doesn't have many swords or armor, there are only like 3 or 4 armors throughout the game and only a few more swords that you might consider using. You can upgrade weapons with polishing items and potions to enhance damage.

Most of Witcher combat is click click, you have to time your clicks though.

So I'd say you probably won't like much of it apart from the alchemy and story bits.

LT.Schaffer
01-17-08, 08:21 PM
1.download the demo
2.Try it
3. then decide:)

breathemetal
01-17-08, 08:21 PM
The Witcher BURIES any TES game i have ever played. Now, I loved Daggerfall, and Morrowind was really good, Oblivon was so-so, but the Witcher had a REALLY good story and the replay value is huge.
The graphics are really good as well. To me, they are a ton better than Oblivion. But Oblivion felt a bit to cartoony for me at times.

IMO:

The Witcher > Morrowind > Oblivion

Loreman
01-17-08, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your prompt replies.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-17-08, 08:56 PM
I can't say enough about this game, this is the best RPG I've played since the Ultima Underworld series :D

btw... you only use five spells throughout the whole game. You can charge them up and enhance their effects as you level and add points to the abilities of your choice :)

this review (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28558.html) does a good job of describing the game, tho I would give it a 10/10 since the 1.2 patch has fixed the long loading times :D

delas52
01-17-08, 11:14 PM
Based on what you said I think you'd like it.

jeffmd
01-18-08, 03:34 AM
#1I like hardcore RPG's that require a lot of strategy and management of #equipment and spells to defeat encounters.

I didn't find the hordes of weapons like you find drop in MMOs, Diablo, Dungion Siege. It seems to be all bought or crafted/upgraded via smithy.

#I loved all the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games.

From what little I playd from them.. theres no parties, theres a weak magic system (you are a melee with magic capabilities, nothing will change this). So you lose the customization you got with those games. There is a talent like system that allows you to boost melee or magic aspects to your liking.

#I didn't like Oblivion, it was way to easy and streamlined.

Yea, its sucky as far as rpg's go.

#I don't like click, click, click action games like Diablo or Titan quest.

Youll hate witcher then, cause its combo system (Which you need to do if you want to do any kind of damage) requires you click on the target at specific times to chain attacks.

#I want an RPG to have some encounters that are near impossible without forming some sort of plan of attack.

You will find that here...infact the first castle which is sort of like the tutorial castle faces you off with a mage who draws power from his minions, and you need to learn to down his minions to cut off his power supply. So the game tries to introduce you to that aspect early.

nekrosoft13
01-18-08, 06:38 AM
I love BG series, I love NVN series, so-so Morrowind, Oblivion was semi-RPG for retards.

Witcher simply has everything a good RPG should have to offer.

nekrosoft13
01-18-08, 06:43 AM
Youll hate witcher then, cause its combo system (Which you need to do if you want to do any kind of damage) requires you click on the target at specific times to chain attacks.

In BG series and NWN series, you clicked once on a target and your character kept attacking until that enemy died.

In Diablo and Titan Quest, you had to keep on clicking as fast as you could until the enemy died.

In Witcher, you click onces, your character performs an attack, if you want to continue and deal more damage you have to click again while that move is about to end to make a combo.

Loreman
01-18-08, 06:52 AM
Well I decided to buy it.

So far so good, I made it out of the training/intro section and I am now in what appears to be the first town.

Combat isn't really that great for me, but the game has a certain something, maybe atmosphere, that is very nice.

Actually just the mere fact that I really want to see what is coming up next means it must be doing something right.

Thanks for all your input.

DRen72
01-18-08, 09:41 AM
I felt turned off by the combat, but only at first. After a few fights I got used to it. Especially when Geralt gets more skills. After Chapter 1 I loved the fights.

Best RPG of 2007....no doubt.

Sit back and enjoy. You should love the storylines and gameplay!