PDA

View Full Version : Favorite poorly accepted title?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

|MaguS|
01-19-08, 09:43 AM
Everyone has a game that they enjoy that never recieved a great review yet they consider it a rare gem. Now im not talking about games like System Shock 2 which many people would agree is a great game but just didn't get the attention it needed.

What game would you say is your generally unaccepted gem? Now the game had to recieve a poor review (not abysmall but not above average).

One of mine would be Echo Nights: Beyond. It was a great suspense horror title for the PS2 that played extremely slow and had no action but was scarier then most games due to the helpless feeling you got.

Saintster
01-19-08, 10:20 AM
Chaser

methimpikehoses
01-19-08, 11:04 AM
Civ4... but it's only poorly accepted around here. And ET:QW, which I still enjoy.

|MaguS|
01-19-08, 11:24 AM
Civ4... but it's only poorly accepted around here. And ET:QW, which I still enjoy.

Both those games recieved above average scores... they were not poorly accepted.

LT.Schaffer
01-19-08, 11:35 AM
Armed Assault:Combat Operations
Penumbra:Overture
Sherlock Holmes:The Awakened
Chronicles Of Riddick:Escape From Butcher Bay

These are ones that seemed overshadowed by the hype machine games :(

DRen72
01-19-08, 11:37 AM
Infernal. It had some crappy reviews, but I thought it was pretty good.
Two Worlds. It did have some bugs, but it was worth it to me. Overall it was a fun title.

CaptNKILL
01-19-08, 11:49 AM
I'd have to go with Mobile Forces. It has a 67% average on game rankings but its one of those games that is just pure mindless fun. With bots, online or at a LAN party its always a ton of fun. Its like a completely absurd and unrealistic take on large scale team based combat with vehicles. There are a bunch of different game modes that are all really fun.

A good game of "trailer" with a lot of bots is just great. In trailer, a hum vee pulling a trailer with an enormous bomb on it spawns at the center of the map and both teams have to race get in it first to take it to the enemy base and blow it up. What makes it interesting is that in this game you can get inside enemy vehicles. You can jump right in the passenger door of the truck and blow the driver away and then turn the thing around. But, people can also blow up the trailer to stop you. And when that thing blows its just insane. It'll destroy everything within like 50 yards.

You just have to play this game if any of that sounds fun to you.

The graphics are bland but clean looking. The performance is perfect. The sound decent and gets the job done (the death sounds and explosions are awesome though).

Another good one that gets poor reviews is Crashday (63% average at game rankings). I'm probably a little biased since my name is in the credits for some sound work, but I really genuinely had a great time playing this game. It has the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game and some of the time trial tests are incredibly frustrating, but overall its an damned good game. If you like Flatout there's a good chance you'll get a kick out of crashday. It isn't as refined but the graphics are nice, there are lots of stunts, and the crashing\shooting is very well done. My only major complaint is that even with a really nice track maker the replayability is pretty limited. There just isn't a whole lot of incentive to race on or make big stunt tracks. It isn't like Flatout were its a lot of fun trying to break records in the ragdoll sports or to get gold trophies in every race.

EDIT: Daemonica was also very good for a low budget title, but I guess its reviews weren't too bad. I think it has about a 70% average.

delas52
01-19-08, 12:28 PM
I enjoyed shadowrun, even if only for a short time (plus I got it free, and yes legally).

Preparat
01-19-08, 12:40 PM
Civilization IV
Two Worlds

Im quite sure thse games got good review scores. Some of them are editor's choice on some sites... so wtf?

One of my favs is "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Screem". Its score on gamespot is 4.3 poor
but i think its a great game

methimpikehoses
01-19-08, 12:44 PM
Both those games recieved above average scores... they were not poorly accepted.

I didn't read the OP, just the title. I was mentioning some games that aren't widely accepted here. (lee63)

LORD-eX-Bu
01-19-08, 01:07 PM
Infernal, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, and The Adventures of Maddog Williams :lol:

LT.Schaffer
01-19-08, 01:13 PM

All i meant was that those titles were more of "Word of mouth" then huge reviews like say Crysis got:o

Unstable_Hero
01-19-08, 01:26 PM
i read that stalker only sold 100k units in the USA. Every pc gamer should have a copy IMO :)

Destroy
01-19-08, 01:33 PM
i read that stalker only sold 100k units in the USA. Every pc gamer should have a copy IMO :)

Agreed but STALKER had too many bugs and issues. Recent graphics, bug and tweak mods have totally changed STALKER to what it should have been and I also highly recommend playing it now.

I'd like to add Joint Task Force to the list in this thread.

johnkeel105
01-19-08, 02:23 PM
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault- I just love the singleplayer and fighting the japanese

Commandos Strike Force- A much better game then i thought it would be, multiplayer is useless but missions are good

Medion
01-19-08, 02:30 PM
Guardian Heroes - Sega Saturn

At the time of release, it got average reviews at best, though I loved it. As time passed, even the original reviewers called it a classic.

Arioch
01-19-08, 02:33 PM

Sold is the key work here - I bet a lot of people have it when you consider the (lee) crowd.

Since I can't think of anything but recent games I am going with the PC version of Lost Planet - it only got an average of 67% on Gamerankings.

ralinn
01-19-08, 02:36 PM
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring (PSone)
Serious Sam: Next Encounter (GC)

MowTin
01-19-08, 03:01 PM
What's you definition of poorly accepted? :confused:

Test Drive Unlimited gets an average of 7.5 which is something I don't understand because NFS games get better ratings but offer less freedom and innovation.

And is Fantom Dust for the Xbox considered poorly accepted? That's an amazing game that I'm sure many people have never heard of.

omzig
01-19-08, 03:02 PM
A game I really enjoyed but many didnt was Yager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yager) its one of my fav games & i must have compeleted it 5 or 6 times,It has a good story thats well scripted/ voice acted it has a good amount of humor and the gameplay is solid being a mix of 1st or 3rd person flight combat and on rails in turret blast um up

I think one of the main things that held it back was the fact that there was a 2 year delay in getting it across the pond from the EU/UK to NA by which time many ppl had labeled it as old hat....

Another game that i loved at the time but many ppl hated was FAKK2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAKK2)

IMO Its a solid 3rd person shooter with some interesting gameplay and great lvl design
but it kinda got label as a tombraider clone when it was relased(large breasted female with big guns & a 3rd person camera)and i know a lot of ppl complain about the control system

toxikneedle
01-19-08, 03:18 PM
I really liked Gun...

Bokishi
01-19-08, 03:20 PM
I dunno, probably The Sims

|MaguS|
01-19-08, 03:28 PM
What's you definition of poorly accepted? :confused:

Test Drive Unlimited gets an average of 7.5 which is something I don't understand because NFS games get better ratings but offer less freedom and innovation.

And is Fantom Dust for the Xbox considered poorly accepted? That's an amazing game that I'm sure many people have never heard of.

Any game that got on average below 8.0 with reviews. usually when a game is poorly rated it sells poor aswell, Kayne and Lynch was a freak situation...

SeriTonin
01-19-08, 03:34 PM
Condemned pc port.

El Matador - pc.

stevemedes
01-19-08, 03:37 PM
just cause