PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem...

$n][pErMan
01-19-08, 01:07 PM
Anyone ever used OneStep: Zup 1.5 to hack into thier cable modem and change values? I have Road Runner and it will just randomly shut me off when my game servers are full or if I just downloaded a bunch of stuff off a torrent. While all I need to do is unplug it for it to be connected again, its VERY annoying. From my understanding... while I can't change my download and upload speeds through hacking the modem (which is fine with me) I should be able to change my bandwidth caps as thats controlled by the modem itself. Just curious if anyone has used this program on a SB4200 and if it worked... or if anyone knows of a better way to remove the annoying caps :)

mullet
01-19-08, 01:12 PM
They push a config file setting the speed parameters on a regular basis. I had one individual that got his modem on the service and once I got his modem MAC I created an account for him and then blocked him forever. :D

I would not advise anyone to do this.

EDIT: I have a feeling since you have a SB4200 and it is very very old it may be the modem crapping out and not the service.

$n][pErMan
01-19-08, 02:06 PM
EDIT: I have a feeling since you have a SB4200 and it is very very old it may be the modem crapping out and not the service.
Well a couple months ago they gave me this one and replaced and even older one I had... but the old one I had (sense about 1999) worked perfectly and NEVER had any issues. Thats why I believe they are controlling my bandwidth useage through the modem...

Are you saying though I should NOT try and edit these values?

mullet
01-19-08, 02:24 PM
[pErMan']Well a couple months ago they gave me this one and replaced and even older one I had... but the old one I had (sense about 1999) worked perfectly and NEVER had any issues. Thats why I believe they are controlling my bandwidth useage through the modem...

Are you saying though I should NOT try and edit these values?
NO!

I would ask for a newer SB modem (the 4200 is so old man, I had one in 2000) or go to walmart and get one. How much is your rental? I really doubt they are changing your bandwidth or throttling you. I am guessing your modem under a load is just fizzling out. Go to firefox and type 192.168.100.1 and post a screen of the SIGNAL page. The EGG has them for 39.00 the SB5120.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122106

EDIT: walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4066723 48.97

stevemedes
01-19-08, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure hacking your cable modem is quite illegal and quite traceable. I'd not recommend it.

CaptNKILL
01-19-08, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure hacking your cable modem is quite illegal and quite traceable. I'd not recommend it.
I agree.

breathemetal
01-19-08, 04:35 PM
go ahead and hack it if you want. but, that would mean a instant STUPID sign around your neck.

Bokishi
01-19-08, 04:44 PM
I agree with getting a newer modem

$n][pErMan
01-19-08, 05:09 PM
NO!

I would ask for a newer SB modem (the 4200 is so old man, I had one in 2000) or go to walmart and get one. How much is your rental? I really doubt they are changing your bandwidth or throttling you. I am guessing your modem under a load is just fizzling out. Go to firefox and type 192.168.100.1 and post a screen of the SIGNAL page. The EGG has them for 39.00 the SB5120.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122106

EDIT: walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4066723 48.97
Here you go.... Also, someone was telling me if you buy your own cable modem it may not work with your service and you have to call in and register the MAC address or something. Any suggestions on cable modems? If I am going to buy one.. it might as well be a damn good one!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=29949&d=1200780542

mullet
01-19-08, 10:42 PM
[pErMan']Here you go.... Also, someone was telling me if you buy your own cable modem it may not work with your service and you have to call in and register the MAC address or something. Any suggestions on cable modems? If I am going to buy one.. it might as well be a damn good one!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=29949&d=1200780542

Every thing looks good on the signal pic, The only thing that is questionable is the Upstream Power Level @ 50 but its no biggy once it hits 60 the modem will shut off and cycle. So you have some room there its ok.

I would get a Motorola SB 5120 it will work on your network and yes all you do is buy the modem, call your ISP and give them the HFC MAC off the modem and return your old and busted 4200. :D

Then you don't have to pay the rental charge any more. Good luck and keep us updated.

nV`andrew
01-19-08, 10:50 PM
rofl im using a SB3100
i lose

mullet
01-19-08, 11:19 PM
rofl im using a SB3100
i lose

Are you serious? Dude get a new modem and save that thing as an antique. I can't believe its still going thats awesome.

conroejoe
01-20-08, 12:09 AM
The config files get pushed to you via your billing account to the DHCP servers. Yes, they can see if you try to hack it, yes it's traceable, not only is it illegal and against their TOS but is criminal and considered theft of service.

The reason your speeds keep getting reset is that the DHCP servers are sent the config from the billing system. This way customer that discontinue service never accidentally remain online and customers that pay for various levels are service are kept to those caps. The caps are specified in the config files and are rebroadcast to your modem frequently. No, they are not controlled by the modem itself.

What tier are you anyways? The residential service is 10mb/1mb up, how much more do you want?? Turbo is 15MB/2MB up for $17 more a month. Is it really worth going to jail for??

tweaked
01-20-08, 12:59 AM
Time Warner doesn't press charges the first time they catch you...

:bleh:

what?

don't look at me like that!

(pb)

conroejoe
01-20-08, 01:02 AM
Time Warner doesn't press charges the first time they catch you...

:bleh:

what?

don't look at me like that!

(pb)

Maybe not, but they could.

http://help.twcable.com/html/twc_sub_agreement2.html
http://help.twcable.com/html/twc_misp_aup.html

RaidenWoW
01-20-08, 02:18 AM
I'm using a hacked (surfboard 5100) cable modem and I hacked it to get a 10/1.5 connection (the fastest my ISP provides). It's as simple as finding a 10/1.5 MAC address (a few clicks), and then cloning it onto your hacked modem.

$60 and a bit of research could get you free internet. I don't advise it. I pay $45/mo for a "regular" package but I hack the highest speed because I think my provider should be giving me a lot more speed for my money. I don't have to pay $45 a month, but I do.

Edit: keywords... surfboardhacker

jeffmd
01-20-08, 05:41 AM
#1 both in ny and in florida, timewarner requires a box address to manualy activate boxs, so no buying your own. I have had no problems with asking for their latest box, they usualy have no problem because they want the newest modems and the newest chips on their network for stability and control reasons.

#2 time warner especially, is very good about sensing boxs which are not running legit settings. They don't sue you or anything, they just cancel your account and ban you from their service. ^^

Absolution
01-20-08, 07:06 AM
rofl im using a SB3100
i lose
i had one until WoW started disconnecting me when i turned in quests (yes, sadly its documented)

my isp just gave me a new one though

and yes, its the modem, not the service most likely
i have timewarner (aka rr) and haven't been capped yet and trust me, i use way to much bandwith

i wouldn't recommend hacking your modem. <-- period

conroejoe
01-20-08, 09:25 AM
RR isn't capping your bandwidth, just the speeds. Residential is 10MB down / 1 MB upload. They are testing a pay per GB plan to see how that would fly. At this time doesn't affect current customers though. Currently there isn't a bandwidth limit with TWC on RR.

$n][pErMan
01-20-08, 01:18 PM
Hmmm.. so according to this thread it would appear im not capped with what im doing (and trying to hack my modem = very bad idea)... I think I just have a POS modem that they gave me. So back to my other question... I want to buy the best modem out then as I think I can call in and have them assign my MAC address to thier service if I do this. Any suggestions beside the newest surfboard out?

RaidenWoW
01-20-08, 10:02 PM

The only ones who condone cable modem hacking are the only ones who haven't tried it yet.

Long story short, I was in your position once. I had given up cable modem hacking. I thought it couldn't be done with my ISP (mediacom). It turns out that you can do it with every ISP in the world (except Comcast's new Docsis 3.0 areas).

5 months later, hacking a 10/1.5mbit connection, I am loving my service.

mullet
01-20-08, 10:35 PM

The only ones who condone cable modem hacking are the only ones who haven't tried it yet.

Long story short, I was in your position once. I had given up cable modem hacking. I thought it couldn't be done with my ISP (mediacom). It turns out that you can do it with every ISP in the world (except Comcast's new Docsis 3.0 areas).

5 months later, hacking a 10/1.5mbit connection, I am loving my service.

:rofl

jeffmd
01-21-08, 03:03 PM

some of us value our high speed cable connection to much to risk getting banned form it too. ^^

Cableguy69
01-22-08, 02:02 AM
I've been using my various clones for near 4 years now, I do however pay a minimum subscription, as I believe these corporate firms need a return to keep on running there business there fore allowing me to hack there weak network.

Here is a guide aimed at UK users but with the tweaking of some settings, the guide can be applied to any country or ISP that provides a Docsis 2.0 or lower cable broadband service.

www.clandigital.co.uk

For further help and support visit.

www.clandigital.tk