PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else get motion sickness from playing FPS's?

Pages : [1] 2

monkeydust
04-23-03, 02:08 PM
I loaded up Half-Life today and played it for about 20 mins. I was about ready to hurl after that.

Anybody else get motion sickness from playing FPS games? Is there anything that I can do about it? Heh, should I take Dramamine? :)

jAkUp
04-23-03, 02:17 PM
for some reason some fps games have made me motion sick... i dunno why.. most dont though. duke nukem 3d made me motion sick:( same with desent 3, and soldier of fortune 1

1stFlight
04-23-03, 02:17 PM
The "Descent" series of games used to do that to me, a few minutes of that up and down, side to side, down, side, bump, up, down....and the bathroom was my nearly my next stop.

The Quake or any other FPS hasn't ever done that to me. Best bet, if you're truely a hardcore gamer, keep a motion sickness bag near your comp :)

digitalwanderer
04-23-03, 02:40 PM
Descent used to slam me too with the dizzies...I think it's why I never really got into it. ;)

I've never had problems with any other shooters/sims though, I don't know why that one just did it to me though.

|JuiceZ|
04-23-03, 03:22 PM
ack, add me to the descent list...just thinking about the game makes me hurl :barf:

DaveW
04-23-03, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by monkeydust
Anybody else get motion sickness from playing FPS games?

Only when using shutter glasses. :)

saturnotaku
04-23-03, 03:32 PM
I have never had this problem. Even when I drink alcohol and play games, I'm fine. Heck, I play better UT when the sweet kiss of booze is coursing through my veins. :D

monkeydust
04-23-03, 03:43 PM
Yeah, Decent really did a number on me. I was just playing Half-Life for about a half an hour and it didn't make me sick this time.

nin_fragile14
04-23-03, 03:47 PM
Jedi Knight 2 and Shogo have always made me want to throw up after I've played for a half hour.

marqmajere
04-23-03, 03:48 PM
I always thought it was strange that people got sick from playing fps games. Do you guys get sick from watching t.v.? Is a refresh rate issue? I know if my refresh is below 85 I get headaches after about 10 minutes. Never once felt sick though.

monkeydust
04-23-03, 03:55 PM
Well, I've got my refresh set at 72mhz because I am playing at 1600x1200. That's as high as I can go at the rez (old monitor).

Heh, no. I don't get sick watching TV. :P

I do get car sick if I am reading in a car though.

St Lobus
04-23-03, 08:04 PM
I was fortunate enough not to be sickened by Descent as those are awesome games (but...to each their own). I have noticed, though, that some FPS games do make me sick, Half Life being one of them now. I have figured it to be based on the "Fish-Eye" effect you get in a lot of games. Now, by Fish-Eye, I mean when you look at something straight ahead, it looks to be the right proportions, but when you turn, the wall or object gets longer. It is this that has made me sick. I can still play most games for quite a while depending on the severity, but unfortunately, Half-Life has become a game I've needed to give up completely, even with all it's great mods.

I know UT2k3 actually has a setting that effects the severity of this. I'm not sure what the setting is called, but once I find it again, I may look to see if I can adjust it for other games that have this annoying problem.

Starscream
04-23-03, 08:28 PM
I've never had that problem, and I've always loved Descent 1 and 2. :)

stncttr908
04-23-03, 09:30 PM
My friend gets sick from Halflife, that sucks because she's missing out on some good gaming. I've never had this problem with any game, although I do get the reading in a car thing.

Kev1
04-23-03, 09:51 PM
If I played it or the expansion packs for too long. I could play maybe an hour then thats it. Started feeling seasick after that :rolleyes:

No other game really bothered me. I was ok in HL and only played Descent freeware. I could see Descent making someone feel queezy very easily!

Chalnoth
04-23-03, 10:58 PM
Well, I never got sick from these games, but I remember some people reporting that they got sick from the "view bob" in Unreal. An option was (fortunately) available to turn it off.

omghi2u
04-23-03, 11:02 PM
I never get sick from playing games, period. Though if you play it on a laptop where ghosting is evident, I can imagine someone getting sick from that. Otherwise, it's probably cuz' of the flickering (vsync's not on or something).

demonized
04-23-03, 11:26 PM
I used to get that. when i first started playing FPS's. I still get sick but only when i've been playing non-stop.

LORD-eX-Bu
04-24-03, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by 1stFlight
The "Descent" series of games used to do that to me, a few minutes of that up and down, side to side, down, side, bump, up, down....and the bathroom was my nearly my next stop.

The Quake or any other FPS hasn't ever done that to me. Best bet, if you're truely a hardcore gamer, keep a motion sickness bag near your comp :)

rofl, that happens to me as well. Sometimes I can't even play SOF II:lol:

I can proudly say that I've never hurled:D

vampireuk
04-24-03, 07:24 AM
I never have this problem, and just like Ed its sometimes more fun been drunk:D

Nutty
04-24-03, 07:32 AM
Never had this problem. I do get travel sick if I'm not driving tho..

Gator
04-24-03, 08:21 AM
my girlfriend gets that, I tried to get her into Unreal Tournament when it came out and she ended up having to lie down with a headache... weird :eek:

symtrax
04-24-03, 10:48 PM
I used to until I started playing UT2k3. After that I was fine to play any FPS.... :rolleyes:

CurtMan
04-24-03, 11:50 PM
I have never gotten sick. If I play games too long then I'll get a headache, but that's just because I shouldn't play games so long....

My mom gets sick looking at any game...HAH!! :D It just made her leave me alone. But now that I'm out of the house it doesn't matter too much.

PS I do like my mom and I don't try to get her sick on purpose, nor do I like getting her sick....

Chalnoth
04-24-03, 11:56 PM
Nobody in my family ever got sick from playing computer games.

At one time, my Mom even got into Duke Nukem 3D. She played that game more than I did (Of course, she turned the parental mode on...).